Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

April 1st

Lots of people gave good info.

What are you (your kid) looking for ?
Hofstra ā€¦good pvt so > $$$ but they give good aid.
Others are public so < $$$ā€¦

I would suggest you do a good comparison sheet (with things u like and what they provide). You didnā€™t provide what each offers so itā€™s tough to compare.

In addition, IMOā€¦ communication from colleges is equally important for someone who will spend 4+ years away and Upstate (Dr.Ripa is amazingā€¦ ) and so is Hofstra team. Didnā€™t have good experience with Rutgers (and no info on Sophie)

Good luck and congrats

1 Like

ok I see. So I am not sure, looks like they have not interviewed anyone yet. So how does this really work? So if we have not heard, it means every one accepted the interview invite and we should just forget about it (seems more rational),ā€¦ human nature we have only this ā€¦so me as a parent just clinging to it ā€¦

Re: LECOM

Congrats on LECOM!

Just for your info - they make their decision independent of the UG institutions. You can go to any of their affiliated UG schools (list is on their website) and let them know by November 1 that you are accepting their program.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I recently got into SBU/LECOM and live in Seattle (all the way across the country). I am strongly considering going to the school because it is such a great opportunity. However, it is an 8-year commitment and I have a lot of ties to the west coast. Should I instead go to a higher-ranked undergrad such as case western or Emory and attempt medical school later on, or should I go to SBU/LECOM and commit for 8-years knowing I am going to a slightly lower medical school and a small undergrad?

I really advise against BS/DO programs. I think for almost everyone, it is better to go to the more reputed undergrad and take a shot at an MD program since DO will always be a fallback option. If one isnā€™t able to get into a DO program after traditional undergrad, then the physician pathway is not a fit.

1 Like

This is a tough advice but so true. Just my two cent

IMO- you should speak to a few students who have matriculated to the med program from SBU before making the decision. How many students matriculated? You should also visit and see if you can commit to 8 years at those places

I have let it go. Mostly all colleges would have made their decisions by now. Also, as you mentioned, they only accept 10 students so many they will till the commitment date if everyone who was accepted actually commit.

I agree with several who said they would pick NJMS, but I am not sure what these opinions are based on (US News Ranking?). Thatā€™s what my opinion is based on. However, I have interacted with both Rutgers undergrad staff, NJMS staff, interview administrators, etcā€¦ most of the interaction have not been productive and helpful. Most of them donā€™t know what they are doing and give me a run-around over and over again. More important, even their med interview process was not well thought out, and this scares me! With what I have experience, I wonder how the medical school experience for the students is going to be like. It would be great for the med school students to provide us some insight.
Also agree with someā€¦ Dr. Ripa from SUNY Upstate is amazing. Thatā€™s what attracts my D.

3 Likes

@liveyourlife78
Can you provide COA for these choices?

Agree. Thank you! All the best for your decision making process.

Re: SBU/LECOM

I have DMā€™d you with my response

1 Like

Please let me know what they say!!

Agree with @dblazer and @deejay19 .

First decide if you really want DO program
If u want to stay in Seattle ā€¦ there is one near Yakima tooā€¦

Also you didnā€™t state , what other BS/UG college you got into (or if you are in the waiting list of BSMD)

I used to tell this ā€œanalogyā€ to students ( Never commit to relationship the minute after the breakup as you may not be in right mindā€¦so think twice)

As others said multiple times in this thread (including me) there is still way you can enter ā€¦ like an Early Assurance and also DO. ( also look at prior year threads)

Good luck in your decision (and keep believing)

LECOM/SBU
My daughter didnā€™t receive any e mail regarding the LECOM acceptance but in the portal, it was updated as specified below. Not sure if this is the same status for the long time. Please let me know if any of you have the same status in the portal. My daughter sent an e mail to SBU and LECOM today AM but didnā€™t get any response.

Once we are notified by the affiliated undergraduate school that you have made final arrangements to matriculate, we will send your provisional letter of acceptance to LECOM.

@NoviceDad
Sure, here is the breakdown:

• In state for NJ
  • Syracuse/Upstate: 57k/yr scholarship at Syracuse + stipends for study abroad and research/volunteering, either 7 or 8 years program
  • TCNJ/NJMS: havenā€™t heard back but know that many students receive full rides for UG school, 7 years program
  • Hofstra/Hofstra: 33k/yr scholarship at undergrad, 8 years program
  • CCNY: website says it costs $620 per credit taken, not sure how much this would total up to. 7 years program.

Important Factors:

• culture of both medical + UG school: not competitive to the point where it becomes a negative attribute, collaborative environment
  • good advising/guidance from UG/medical schools
  • location does not matter much as long as there is a lot of clinical exposure
  • would like to study abroad in UG but it is not a make-or-break factor

Hofstraā€™s curriculum makes its medical school my top choice, however NJMS gives the best clinical exposure from what I have heard. Upstateā€™s student atmosphere is extremely friendly and to my liking, based on what was seen during interview day. CCNY is in NYC (good), downside is that it only allows for ā€˜Biomedical Scienceā€™ UG degree. Other schools give the option of picking the desired major, most likely will be Neuroscience. Not sure which program would total up to be the cheapest.

@NoviceDad can you send me message? Had few questions

1 Like

One suggestion

Can you share what is the total cost to you (after you factor in your scholarships) for these programs?
Presumably, your in-state medical fees will also be less at NJMS.

What you will find is that for BS/Md programs, most students in the program are collaborative or worst case indifferent. Since the medical school seat is confirmed, students do NOT tend to be very competitive with each other. You will generally not find any ā€œgun-slingersā€ in such programs.

If I look at your factors, culture and advising/guidance are critical for you. The other 2 factors are more nice to have.

Speak to students and find your feel for the culture.
Advising/guidance depends on the student and how they may use it.
Where colleges are deficient in such matters, usually senior students fill in the void.

1 Like

Good day,
I sent you a DM,
Please check.

1 Like