Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Do they have a waitlist? Like if someone rejects their spot do they accept another?

1 Like

It’s not the same as BU. Pitt actually works a little bit different than some of the other BSMD programs. It will first decide if to accept you into their undergraduate program, and then decide if to send you the supplemental application for the BSMD program. When you first apply for Pitt, you can declare your interest in applying for BSMD and/or honors.

1 Like

will NJMS start calling back this week?

2 Likes

(+1 to @Vicky2019 comments/suggestions)

If I may add

IS TU/NJIT an all ride?

JHU - any scholarships or what’s the difference.

Please do note 
 that

• JHU 
 may/will open various other opportunities. Infact many people dream residency/work is JHU (to my knowledge) so the reputation/brand is huge.

Like Vicky suggested, if the difference is too much then you can take the “$0 option for BS” and boost up credentials, shadowing, MCAT etc., and shoot for great schools.

On the other hand UG from JHU (though doesn’t do grade deflate but its tough than TU/NJIT for sure because of stronger candidates) may give better shot at MD to better schools( like Brown, Harvard, Stanford etc.,)

It all depends on preferences

Good luck

2 Likes

My D didn’t get into any BSMD programs, we are starting to trim down our UG colleges. Case and Upitt is our top choices. Including scholarships, case western is a little bit more expensive than Upitt. Assuming cost is not a factor. Any guidance on which one to choose? Both have hospitals nearby and good research opportunities.

@privatems - Pitt has rolling admission for their UG. A lot of bright students apply early (in summer itself) to Pitt in order to get quicker results.

If students submit their applications early in the summer (June-July), they can get their results within 1 week of submission. The results take longer if students submit in Nov.

My D already received admission with scholarship.

2 Likes

Can anyone give insights into Penn State PMM vs. VCU GMED programs?

@gakcc22 - You are right, both Pitt and Case have hospitals nearby. Both are solid universities with good pre-med programs. you should go with your D’s gut feeling.

Which college did your D like when she visited? Will she thrive in a large public university or in a small private university? Does she feel comfortable with Pittsburgh or Cleveland? Which of these locations is closer to home?

2 Likes

We are in the same situation too. My D got into UCLA, UCSD, UCD etc. These are our in state schools. Which one generally students prefer ? public universities oos(upitt, Rochestor, penn state etc) or public universities in state ?

1 Like

If USNews were to be believed, UCLA is number 1 public university at 20 this year beating out UCB for the first time(?). The only reason to attend an OOS public is because they gave a scholarship that makes them far cheaper than an instate public school.

UCSD and UCD are also ahead of Pitt, Penn State etc at 34 and 38. Rochester is a private and is tied with UCSD.

I know many Texas students attend UCLA paying a very high premium over UT or A&M because they believe in the ranks.

2 Likes

We visited case, she likes the campus and is planning to visit pitt soon. Both are similar distance for us and urban campus. So it would really comes down to GPA curve and overall pre-med guidance. We feel pitt has more options to pursue, if she decides to not go into medical.

1 Like

Thank you ! She got scholarship in oos schools but definitely cannot beat in state tuition prices especially regents in UCD. My son just graduated from UCB MET program so we are familiar with UCB campus.

1 Like

Is either of these in-state for you? what is the cost difference between the two?

UG ranking is better for Penn State. UG experience in PMM is supposed to be good. PMM is an accelerated 7 yrs program. PSU doesn’t give scholarships but the cost is reduced since PMM students complete UG in 2 - 2.5 yrs and save tuition.

VCU is an 8 yrs program. VCU also allows students to apply to better medical schools if they want (without penalty). VCU gives scholarships during UG.

1 Like

Finally they sent acceptance letter after changing my daughter’s application to 4+4 track as she changed to 3+4 track before the interview.

6 Likes

She won’t go wrong with either. Go with the best fit.

1 Like

OOS for both, but VCU is giving pretty much a half ride for UG

haven’t received an interview invite from NJMS yet after getting forwarded. Do they finish sending invites by the end of march?

CASE 
 is pretty good for research and academic (that’s why it is very competitive)

PITT is good too
 but purely academic (if u want med)
 IMO 
 CASE++.

But the difference is NOT that much (you got to add $$$, kids preference, other stuff)

Good luck

Agree with @texaspg info.
Also , all the instate u specified are pretty good UG (from genetics, ethics and many specialty courses) .

Do the CA (Cost Analysis) based on $$$ and preferences 

If i don’t get a good “discount” in OOS , I will choose those instate UG colleges as it’s very good with academics/reputation.