Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Thank you !!

@gakcc22: Congratulations to your D. This is for fall 2022?

Did anyone hear from Hofstra BS/Md??

@skparent
It depends on COA and whether your D wants to pursue UG part in OOS.
Generally, students prefer in-state unless they get a huge scholarship (full tuition or full-ride) in OOS schools or for prestige also students go OOS (like JHU, Ivys, etc) or they like program there (example: U of Chicago for Research or Business school, Georgia Tech for STEM, etc).
I have seen students go to UCLA UG (36K/yr) giving up full-ride at UT Dallas, and vice versa. It’s all personal choice and what kid wants.

1 Like

NO waitlist.

I think you will get a better undergrad experience at Penn State.
Also, SKMC/Philly as a location may be advantageous.
Plus save 1 to 1.5 years at PMM.

JHU is considered a grade deflated school like Cornell and BU.
The curve is hard at JHU.

Also, ~80% of students take AT LEAST 1 gap year as they are struggling to maintain their GPAs.
In spite of that, ~25% of students (who survived weed out classes) do not make it to medical school.

It has a great reputation, but one must weigh that against other factors.

Both are good.
Two data points for you to consider:

• Pitt Medicine has about 20% of its incoming freshmen class from Pitt undergrad (including gap year students).
  • Oakland (where Pitt is located) has a college town vibe with Carnegie Mellon and Carlow Universities next door.

Visit both and go with your D’s feelings about the campus and where she sees herself over next 4 years.

How much of a cost difference is it?
Does she have Regents or Alumni scholarships at UCs?
Also, in general, UC students apply to more medical schools than the national average - about 25-27 applications vs 17.
Please note at UCs you will be competing for thousands of other pre-med kids.

I generally do not recommend UCs for OOS pre-med track students but you are instate and costs can potentially justify a little more struggle.

My DM does not work If you can DM me I can guve you detailed perspectives for both PMM and VCU GMED

@cow123 - I calculated item by item and found that total COA for Penn/Jeff comes out to be slightly cheaper than VCU

Note: usually public med schools are costlier for oos students compared to private med schools

total COA for VCU BSMD program is - $484000 (with 50% UG scholarship)
total COA for Penn/Jeff BSMD program is - $448000-$473000

Details-
2021-22 out-of-state COA for VCU is listed as $48,000 Half of this is 24000 and for 4 years comes out to $96000 for 4 yrs. Medical colleges COA for VCU is $387000

2021-22 out-of-state COA for PSU is listed as $50,000 2 years tuition comes out to 100,000 and 2.5 years tuition comes out to $125000 at most. Medical colleges COA for SKMC is $348000

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Did anyone else get waitlisted on Hofstra portal?

1 Like

Did you receive any information

Are you referring to bs md or UG

when is NJMS interview results expected? Any idea? Anyone had NJMS interview for BS/MD program?

1 Like

She got 20k plus at upitt per year and 10k at Rochester. She got into UCD regents($7500 per year) and invitation to apply for UCLA regents.

No news yet. Hopefully NJMS will notify later this week.

Is anyone received Stony Brook’s interview or rejection?

@NoviceDad,

For the benefit of those who may be considering BU for regular undergrad, let me clarify, it is no way grade deflated to be in the same league as the other 2 schools quoted, JHU and Cornell.

Most of the students on this forum should be able to notch up 3.75+ there except may be for SMEDs, certain engineering majors and business school. Those interested can search their website for the gpa ranges by major for latin honors which should give a fare idea. For SMEDs they try to keep the standards high not to let them slack a bit, but even then have known people getting 3.9+ amongst them.

The only other schools that I can think of to be in the same league as those mentioned by you are UChicago, Princeton, MIT and may be (or not) Columbia and WashU. Some of the UCs also fall in the category due to over abundance of asian origin students, ultra competition and not being as diverse as typical schools.

3 Likes