Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I believe NJMS will release results on April 1st - that’s what they said before our interview

Hofstra - they updated the portal and called me

3 Likes

We just got an email from GW that the results will be released on March 28th .

1 Like

Congratulations! This is my first acceptance as well and to Hofstra as well! I hope to connect with you and others! Congratulations again to you and everyone!!

10 Likes

Did you get a call from Hofstra ?

who interviewed you Dr or administrative staff?

Would anyone accepted in the VCU GMED program be able to privately message me? I have a couple program-specific questions, and I would greatly appreciate if someone would be able to give some insight. Thank you!

@speedskater is with VCU GMED since last fall and maybe able to clarify your program specific questions. Good luck.

1 Like

AWESOME! Happy for you! :clap:

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS!! Sent you a DM!

Interviewed by a Dr. and a medical student

Hi, same here. My daughter also has Miami HPM with 25k scholarship. The other option she has is SLU EAP. Appreciate any knowledge someone may have about the programme structure, success rate etc. Thank you

1 Like

You can DM me regarding VCU GMED

Does NJMS/its feeder undergraduate schools send rejection emails at the same time as acceptance emails? Or can you assume that you’re rejected if you have not heard by the time the acceptances have?

@GoogleJay, @wriite21012

Pick SLU or HPM based on the UG you like and based on the cost, location. These are mentoring programs for med school admissions and if you meet requirements, they will interview you. So, these are good. Don’t stick to their GPA requirement- you are only guaranteed an interview but not a seat. You should aim for a high GPA > 3.75

If you opt for regular UG, pre-med advising most probably won’t be as good as HPM or SLU. you would need to find medically related ECs yourself, and after applying there won’t be any guarantee of an interview to med school.

SLU
3.65 CGPA and for STEM. Also, you also need MCAT-505. You would also be able to get medical volunteering/shadowing since SLU med school is good.
UG rank-114
SOM clinical-70
SOM research-46
See this link on SLU 1. only 30 students got admitted to medical school out of a class of 120, even with the very reasonable GPA requirement and MCAT. Is that the limit? Not sure.

HPM
Enriched traditional pre-med track with its focus on mentoring, professional development opportunities, and unique courses.
No guaranteed acceptance into UMiami Miller School of Medicine.
students may apply to any other medical school of their choice.
maintain a 3.5 GPA to stay in HPM program - participate in all program co-curricular activities.
UG rank -#55
SOM clinical- 93-123
SOM research-45

1 Like

Not to swerve the decisions in one way or the other, but just want to point out not to be overly influenced by the us news rankings. In this case as it appears from the cited information above, SLU and Miami are similar in rankings in research and SLU is better in clinical or whatever.

Matter of fact, Miami is a far reputed medical school, not withstanding some website’s seemingly low opinion on them. The same applies to many great med schools on their web site and the reverse is true too, some not so great ones over inflated in their ratings far above what is deserved.

Also another factor to consider, I did verify that the 25k award is close to half tuition (55k), but the cost may still come out to be high since the location is Miami and not some college town. It is fair not to expect them to contribute to your living expenses also.

On the flip side your child may enjoy the warm weather and vibrant city environment as part of memorable undergrad experience.

Having said this, it is up to each student and family to make up their final decisions after considering all the offers at hand, fit, first hand impressions from campus visits, finances etc.

2 Likes

@Vicky2019 @rk2017 @NoviceDad

You are all doing wonderful service to the student and parent community. Much appreciated.

4 Likes

I thought NJMS only had one interview with a faculty member/doctor, i didn’t know there was one with a med student?

1 Like

Hi, do they say on April 1st or by April 1st?
Because the result came out at this time of the last year.

Is it recommended to send thank you email to interviewers if they didn’t give you their email address? Should student look for email address online or no?