Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Private vs. public doesn’t matter much to me, besides the difference in fees as you mentioned. I’ve gotten around to calculating the cost difference in Syracuse vs. TCNJ programs, and Syracuse program costs 48k more in total.

Distance is not important to me since all three are in tri-state area. Harsh weather is a slight downside but not a determining factor. Diversity is important, but again not as important as cost, program atmosphere, and clinical experience opportunities.

1 Like

Hmm I see… you are absolutely right about this being a sample size of 1, but good to know this info either way. Thanks!

Sure.
TCNJ/NJMS: 212K
Syracuse/Upstate: 260K (OOS)
CCNY/Sophie Davis: 321K (OOS)
Hofstra: 288K (OOS)

@liveyourlife78
Did you visit all campuses? Did you look at the location and family support? Does it matter to you whether it’s a 7-year or 8-year program? Did you check matriculation reqs for these 4 choices? Did you look into the last 3-to-4 years of match-list for each of the above choices? Without checking all these I am leaning towards TCNJ/NJMS choice.

Any updates for UAB EMSAP?

Any updates from NJMS? Last year some got acceptances to NJMS around this time

I heard they were interviewing till last Friday, so not sure if they will still come out with results this week. Lets hope they do because the waiting game is just painful.

2 Likes

Hi Pakoo,

I am NOT sure i understood you question, please feel free to correct me as there are lots of unknown to provide proper solutions.

Do you have an acceptance in BSMD … then i will take that over for applying to BSDO (A bird in hand is better)
Almost all the BSMD programs have lots of folks in Pediatrics and Internal Medicine (at least around 17-25 app).

If i am right , its too late to apply for a BSDO. The option is now to do a local UG and look for a DO later (there are many of them in all the states).

Please do mind that in following that route, you are assuming the competition stays the same after 4 years.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I was just trying to rationalize BSMD and BSDO if one wants to go into internal medicine/pediatrics. If someone has both the BSMD and BSDO option and acceptances, with all other qualitative factors such as cost, distance, residency matches etc. are almost similar. I have heard and read that some BSDOs are much better than the other option for this route and wad trying to decide.

How important is med school ranking into matching to competitive specialties like derm?

Both TCNJ and Syracuse have good pre-med advising and clinical experience opportunities seem good at both. diversity wise both seem similar. cost is more for Syracuse as you found. Syracuse has no MCAT and although TCNJ requires it, there is no minimum score.

A few things to note -

Syracuse is less than 1/2 mile from SUNY upstate medical college whereas TCNJ is 50 miles away from Rutgers medical college. This is a plus point for Syracuse and might help in clinical opportunities there.

Syracuse also offers 3+4 and 4+4 programs without any penalty. TCNJ mandates 3 years. Seven-year students must officially declare their intention to matriculate at NJMS or to withdraw from the Seven-Year Program before December of their Junior year. 4+4 will cost more so 3+4 for both may be better cost-wise? Was your cost difference for 3+4 at Syracuse?

One negative thing with Syracuse is they offer only BA in Biology at Syracuse University, including the liberal arts core, in 3 years. TCNJ approved undergraduate majors currently include biology, biomedical engineering, chemistry, computer science, economics, engineering science, mathematics, English, history, philosophy, physics, and Spanish.

Also, TCNJ has no mandatory EC requirement. Syracuse has 40 hrs of volunteering requirements built into the program.

You have a few things more to consider as your D decides her college!

1 Like

@Baovy.phan
IMO, You can start from the link below, pick any two med schools and compare their match list for this year and 3-4 past years too. It’s not just med schools and their rankings that determine the successful match, other factors like 1. USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 score (its pass/fail now), 2. LORs, 3. Dean’s letter, 4. USMLE/COMLEX Step 2 score, 5. Grades in required clerkships, 6. Papers Published/Research Experience, 7. Your interview performance, 8. the order you rank your residency choices after the interviews, etc. will play a major role in a successful match.

3 Likes

Feel that it is easier to match to top programs in Internal med/peds with an MD over a DO. Residency programs at like Mass General, Brigham, Boston Childrens etc. Which again will translate to better fellowship placements later on. Just my opinion. Do your due diligence by checking where the graduates from both these programs matched into in recent past.

Lol, it never ends, does it ? :slight_smile:

lots of learning from reading your posts @NoviceDad @Rali_Jan @Vicky2019 @cheer2021 @deejay19 thank you!

5 Likes

This cannot be more true. A thousands other factors aside from ranking weighs into your match. We have seen people from well ranked schools rank into internal medicine and others from less ranked match into DOPEN. My simple advice is for you to decide on your area of interest early and dive into interest groups, build relationships, seek research opportunities in the top ranked Ivy’s for that specialty (and probably get published), maintain excellent grades, do well in your step 2 exam and it will be difficult for anyone to hold you back regardless of your school ranking

1 Like

On a more tangential note, does anyone know historically when Albany Med programs tend to call off the waitlist? ( I applied to Union LIM).

Anyone do the Stony Interview? How was it?

Fully agree - Interest in a particular specialty is very important.
My D point blank told me that she cannot see herself doing Derm.

I also know of students who do NOT like the lifestyle associated with Neurosurgery and cannot imagine them spending 40+ years of their lives doing it.

So, develop interest, create meaningful experiences and go for it!

2 Likes

Hi, is there a results/reflections thread posted for this cycle yet?

Hi everyone,
Was accepted into NOVA’s Dual Admission BS/DO program and was hoping current or former students could shed some light on the program. My main concern is that there are heaps of requirements to continue on to the DO school including full application with supplemental, interview, letters of recommendation, 1000 hours of clinical experience, in addition to the MCAT and GPA requirement. It seems like you could be denied entry in four years even if you hit the MCAT, GPA, and experience requirements if they don’t like your essays in the supplemental or your interview but not sure if this is the case or not. Appreciate any perspective.

Also, for those accepted into other programs (BS/MD or BS/DO) is it typical that the agreements or acceptance letters still state that the medical school still reserves the right to deny entry etc?

1 Like