Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Hi! Thank you for your reply! Do you know of any programs that are test optional? I did some research beforehand, and I am not sure if I found any.

@highschoolermed - You have a strong profile except for your test scores as @NoviceDad mentioned. Can you try to take SAT or ACT one more time in October or November to improve your scores? Try practice tests 2-3 times before your test.

The below colleges may be test optional. Do double check. you can come up with your list of BSMD colleges and go to each website to see their requirements to see which ones are test optional.

University of Rochester
Rice/Baylor
Case Western
Brown PLME

Hi, thank you for your advice! I signed up for the SAT, so hopefully, all goes well. The next ACT date is Oct 23. With Early Action applications being due on Nov. 1, will it be worth it to take the test? The majority of the colleges I am applying to are BSMD programs, so will they accept scores after the November 1st deadline? I am the first person in my family to go to college, so the application process for applying to these programs is a little confusing for me, and my school isnā€™t helping that much either. Any advice would be great!

@highschoolermed Be a realist with ACT 32, you chances in BS/MD admissions are slim if you are an ORM. Forget about these even as test-optional, IMO. One may need an ACT 35/36 as an ORM to be competitive. Those listed are very competitive programs -
University of Rochester
Rice/Baylor
Case Western
Brown PLME
One can always apply via regular route MD which covers 95% of all US medical seats.

1 Like

Usually October dates for ACT or SAT should be ok. You should check with each college in your list. Donā€™t be shy, send the admissions an email to find out!

1 Like

32 is a low ACT score and regular route MD is an option - however feel there is no harm in trying to improve the test score.

I believe Univ. of Pittsburgh and Hofstra are also test optional.

I dont know if I would take the test optional part seriously for combined programs. There are too many variables in play due to covid already in terms of what the students are able to show. If several thousand people submit test scores whether they are needed or not, there must be compelling reasons to ignore them. How do schools pick someone with no score since they probably already have to give a lot of leeway in terms of research, in person volunteering/shadowing etc already?

I read it mostly as ā€œwe wont reject you outright for not having a scoreā€ but I would like to see people post who have gotten in without submitting a score to believe.

1 Like

Is SAT 1520 low score too for BSMDs or on the borderline or competitive?

I came across two applicants who have reported BSMD acceptances for Fall 2021 cycle through test-optional hereā€¦

Yes I did get in test optional, however, I think that was in part due to the program and my personal experience. GPPA is very selective but they place a decent amount of value on how unique the applicant is as well, not all programs do this so I think it is very dependent on which BSMD it is we are talking about.

1 Like

@cheer2021 - one of my friendā€™s daughter got into one of the top bsmd programs with a 1520 score (this was before covid). She had excellent research/volunteering/shadowing on top of being a valedictorian with top science research awards and many other accolades. When the kid asked me if she should re-take the exam, i told her not to bother and to focus on her essays etc. since it was already sep-oct.

Students need to look at their application holistically and decide where best to spend more timeā€¦

2 Likes

I agree. BSMD admissions are competitive. If most students have great SAT/ACT scores- a student should standout in front of adcom without this component or in other words, should have a profile that is better/unique compared to those with > 1550 or 35

I checked and found that Hofstra does require a SAT of 1410 or ACT of 32 however Sophie Davis is test optional.

UPitt is test optional but as per their website - MCAT will be required prior to matriculation to the medical school only for test-optional candidates

There is one more place where Hofstra said test scores are required for 4+4 BS-BA/MD program.

1 Like

Thanks, then it must be a different college.
They had suggested submitting 2-3 AP test scores if going SAT/ACT test optional.

1 Like

In the last cycle, quite few kids got into BS/MD as test optional applicants.

I think 1520 these days is on the lower side.
4 years back, I would have said, donā€™t worry about such a score.

Werenā€™t many SAT sessions cancelled last year so lot of people applying couldnt have a score?

I hear chatter on the MD site that 20% more applied to medical schools last year because many made mcat optional. Lot of them have gone back to the norm now.

WSJ College Ranking is out:

Is anyone on this platform willing to read college essays for bs/md and undergrad?