Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Is a 1520+ superscored SAT score low for BS/MD programs? Will an applicant who achieved such a score in one sitting have an advantage over a superscored score.

I can but I am brutal in my advice and make people rewrite entire essays and dont care too much about actual editing. I am all about does it read like a story and grab a readerā€™s attention and does it flow well while addressing the question.

Most BS/MD programs do NOT superscore and require you to submit scores of 1 sitting.

1 Like

That is actually what I am looking for, Iā€™d rather rewrite an entire essay than have one that doesnā€™t grab the readers attention. The ā€œstoryā€ format is also what I am attempting to write my essays in. Is it okay if I PM you?

1 Like

This cycle I would recommend no one to count on test optional unless oneā€™s background is so compelling that scores donā€™t matter. This cycle wonā€™t be similar to last one.

Also even 4 years back a 1520 would not have made the cut for many. However I donā€™t want to discourage anyone from applying just for this reason.

Conversely great test scores, academics and extra curriculars all combined together still wouldnā€™t seal the deal for many even in those days. There are so many factors beyond oneā€™s control, like for example the number of top students applying to these programs from oneā€™s own school. So best thing to do is to give your best shot without being emotionally attached to the process and take pride in giving oneā€™s best irrespective of outcomes at each stage of the game.

2 Likes

By essay, you mean for the supplementals correct?

yes like the ā€œwhy medicineā€ related question!

Sure, go ahead and send whatever essay you want feedback on.

@upstream @bearchichi and other seniorsā€¦
How to get statistics for each BSMD program for the past 3 years? Is this data originated/pulled from AAMC report(s) or through some other sources? Any idea? Thank you.

General question.
Do we need to send official SAT score only after submitting common application ?

@GANPT123 - You can send SAT scores before or after submitting the common application. The sequence doesnā€™t matter.

It doesnā€™t matter if you sent the scores and ended up not applying to the college due to some reason. Your scores will be discarded.

1 Like

If we send before submitting common app. , do we have to associate our common app ID? how they will link score from college board to my application ???

I recall in Fall 2021 admission cycle Colleges asked for self-reported SAT scores in the common app. Not sure if that changed. Some colleges have asked to upload a pdf copy of SAT scores in their candidateā€™s portal in the same Fall 2021 admission cycle. But none of the colleges DC applied, have asked to send official SAT scores. Please note that sending out official SAT scores to the colleges does require a fee of $12 payment per send by the CollegeBoard. If one applying 30 colleges (as an example), it would cost $336 to send SAT scores. :grinning:

Plus if you want financial aid, many schools want the CSS and then the app fees.

We did a rough estimate of the cost for our sonā€™s final year of high school and it came out to almost $10k :grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

Hey everyone,
I am a HS Sophomore, who is extremely interested in BS/MD programs. At the moment, I have earned a grant for $1,000 (from Fuel Up to Play 60/AdCap), which can only be used for community-related benefits. What are some ideas that I could use for this grant so that it could shine on a BS/MD application?

Thanks in advance!

There are many non-profits around to support families with children and adults with special needs (example: Autism), to feed homeless people, local food banks, to fund Domestic Violence Advocacy Project- to help battered women, and so on. IMO, you may need to look out and find the ones nearer to your geographic location, find ways to work with them, and use the funds for community-related benefits. I wouldnā€™t recommend doing it for the sake of shining your application. Just put your heart in what you do for the community, write honest reflections in your essays or activities as appropriate, and your application will automatically shine. Good luck.

1 Like

@GANPT123 - There is no need of associating your common app id. The college board already has your information including name, high school, graduation year etc. college board has a tool where all you need to do is to pick the colleges you are applying to, and send your details. thats all.

There is no link between common app and college board. But, colleges themselves will somehow be able to connect your details. This is a well established process, as far as I could surmise.

@Cheer2021 - In my experience, public/state universities tend to require official scores to be sent via college board.

Private schools usually are ok with the approach you outlined - uploading SAT score pdf. Neverthless, if your DD or DS got admitted, they would need to send official scores.

However, there is no generalization for this, students need to look at requirements of each college and follow these diligently!

@cheer2021 - As long as we are talking about costs, the below is a list of areas where it would cost students -

1. Common Application- college application fee
  2. sending official SAT and AP scores to colleges (or one college)
  3. CSS (FAFSA is free)

And, $336 for SAT scores is peanuts compared to -
a) when joining UG in a private college would end up costing nearly 1000 times more, 320,000-330,000
b) when joining UG in a oos public college would end up costing 200,000
c) in state public university would be approx. 100,000 (more or less depending on the state)

Thanks @Vicky2019

1 Like