Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I meant that the kid protested. The kid is an idealist and feels embarrassed. Since there are a lot of steps, kids need to take responsibility to complete all the steps.

• There are a number of steps that need to be taken for in-state tuition-
  • Teen (18+) purchases the house.
  • The teen lives in that house while studying (UG) so it is his primary residence. The kids may want to live in a dorm with the rest of their BSMD cohort!
  • The teen needs to pay taxes for one year atleast or more
  • Then I believe they can submit evidence to NJMS to request in-state tuition. They need to apply for loans in their name for their med school. Of course, you could potentially end up paying interest on the loan which might negate any gain from in-state tuition!
    Note: Parents can’t pay for med school tuition. Since parents own the 529 plans, this can’t be used for the tuition either!

Please google and read very carefully “new jersey residency for tax purposes” and “new jersey residency for tuition purposes” and plan ahead of time.

Also, make sure to talk to NJMS financial aid regarding different types of loans and try to get a decent interest rate.

This definitely is not straightforward. Personally, we decided that it won’t work for our family.

1 Like

OK thanks, do u know what is MCAT requirement for Seton Hall and SOM?

They stated 80th percentile and that will mean 510 on MCAT

1 Like

at the minimum

Do not all students of BS/MD program, get in-state tuition at NJMS (including OOS) ??

1 Like

80th percentile. Couple of useful pages

https://www.shu.edu/undergraduate-admissions/faq-4-3-program.cfm

2 Likes

I would like to see an official link from NJMS that states that all OOS students get in-state tuition? Can you please provide this?

@Vicky2019

They may have their own reasons for not stating this explicitly on their website. But the selected student/parents can get all the clarifications in person during their open house/admitted students day. Conventional knowledge is that all the BS/MD students there would be eligible for instate once they matriculate to med school. That is kind of added attraction to attract top HS students from across the country and to keep them in the program (otherwise they might as well apply out after couple of years into the program and get away to more well known private med schools which charge the same amount as their OOS tuition)

Unless of course they changed the rules recently, which I highly doubt, but still a possibility. Recall from a post from 3 or so years ago from a parent of student who chose to go to NJMS, NY resident and from Stuyvesant HS. That was the impression given by the parent in that particular post. There may have been few more posts to that effect in the past.

1 Like

Hofstra medical is a decent medical school already making its presence felt with its then-new curriculum and linkage to 23 hospital systems of Northwell. It’s match list is impressive with many matching to competitive specialties.
Its undergrad will be relatively easier and less stressful. Hofstra undergrad does have the reputation of being a party school.
Reach out to @mygrad2021 - their D is in the program.

3 Likes

NJMS and NJ residency:

Obtaining NJ residency requires staying in NJ for 3 continuous months and filing taxes there.
However, they also have an exit tax when you decide to leave NJ.

Check with NJMS if they accept such residency and qualify you as an In-State student.

1 Like

If you are set to be a doctor and want to reduce your risks, choose Drexel/Drexel.

If costs are a major issue and you are ok with undergrad risks (including the risk of not becoming a doctor), choose NJIT Honors.

1 Like

Thank you @NoviceDad, @mygrad2021 send you PM, but if you can add your D’s experience with Hoftsra BSMD program I will really appreciate it. What I found out is they typically ~2000 students apply and they only have 10-12 seats, so very low acceptance rate

We are planning too
 either 8th or 11th. Best for PLME.

1 Like

Stony brook result is out. D just got email acceptance with letter about 1.5 hour ago.

Someone said they give OOS students in state tuition for undergraduate?

10 Likes

Congrats! My D got in Stony Brook as well. I wasn’t aware of the tuition break.

10 Likes

NJMS results are out . We just got the call from the feeder school

11 Likes

D also just got in NJMS. Feeder school St. Peters sent the email.

10 Likes

Which feeder

Which feeder did you get a call from?

@carmaruti
in addition, there is a 3.6 GPA requirement every year with grades no less than B in science courses and no less than C in non-science courses, no repetition of course, plus 80 percentile MCAT score (~510) requirement in one sitting - are the MD matriculation reqs for Hofstra BSMD. I am hoping @mygrad2021 will shed light on how hard to get an A or B at Hofstra.
MCAT in general is meant for one-time writing, however, some wrote the second time and got good scores - Medical schools can see all your MCAT attempts, most schools take the average of multiple MCAT scores. With Hofstra you need to get what they need in one shot, if you prepare well, IMO 80 percentile is achievable. I heard in this forum a couple of times many BSMD students score way more than what minimum MCAT score is needed for matriculation.

2 Likes