Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

They apply as sophomores I believe. It is in competition to other NY programs that do the same (SUNY Downstate/Upstate have that also but need to be instate I think but not sure).

One of my older daughter’s college classmates had an older sister who was at downstate after attending Columbia and being admitted early but they were native new yorkers.

You are already ahead of the curve by preparing before the results :slight_smile:

Personally, I am skeptical about in-state tuition for out-of-state students. I am the type who don’t believe that free lunch is really free…

See this link on NJ residency status It clearly says that " * Residence solely for the purpose of attending the College does not constitute domicile for tuition purposes."

One of the kids I know really well, went to study at NJIT/NJMS with free NJIT. Their parents (from oos) purchased a house in their kid’s name in NJ and had him pay NJ taxes. Even then the kid protested a lot against claiming in-state tuition!

Most Texas state schools give instate to OOS students since they are only allowed to admit 10% OOS and want to give an incentive for them to show up. Most programs are 22k or less for instate. Baylor does not automatically grant them instate but Texas allows property owners to pay instate so most baylor admits buy a condo for 100k and get instate after year 1.

In order to give instate OOS students are granted a 1k per year scholarship. So in a lot of cases, they are making it 1k cheaper for OOS students!

2 Likes

This year the admission cycle for students has been brutal at all colleges, especially the T50 colleges. Most colleges are test-optional and with no subject tests so most students could apply.
Another reason for the competition - many students took gap years during the last two years and no college would be increasing the number of total UG seats so more kids end up applying for the same seats!

1 Like

Yes, the match lists look quite good, surprisingly. We plan to visit NJIT at the admitted students day this Sunday on Apr 3rd and check out the area, including NJMS. Thanks for your insights!

On the other side of the coin, there are many kids/parents questioning why they should spend 4 years on undergrad when the kid has completed a year or more worth of APs/DE/IB credits in high school itself. The year saved on an accelerated program could be used for a more meaningful purpose such as taking a gap year in med school once they figure out what area they want to go into.

2 Likes

I would advise Drexel BS/MD over NYIT. Even though it is 8 year now, you spend at least a semester (or more if you have lot of APs) on their mandatory co op program for which you won’t pay tuition and also earn some money. Find out all the details before concluding though.

1 Like

Traditionally MD programs have been preferred over DO programs which should be a plus for Drexel.

1 Like

Did TCNJ send out decisions with scholarship details?

Any feedback on Hofstra 4+4 BSMD Program. My C secured admision in this program, we are waiting for Brown and NJMS results. Wondering if anyone has there C’s or know of anyone who has been to Hofstra 4+4 program? Any feedback is much appreciatd. Thank you

1 Like

Did you hear back from TCNJ/NJMS bsmd decision?

No. I asked the question because @as715 compared undergrad costs with NJIT. I was referring to TCNJ UG

The last part about in-state requirement is really interesting after UG. Did you mean the school protested about the kid’s in-state status after he had a property in his name and paid taxes. I’m interested in this cos Seton Hall BSMD is one of the options on the table for my daughter and they also require her to establish NJ in-state status before the end of undergrad. So how do one navigate that if buying a property and paying taxes will not suffice?

Yeah for reg undergrad. I also am interviewing for the bonner program.

did you get TCNJ UG decision already with scholarship details? My understanding is they are still waiting on NJMS decisions before they release UG decisions for BSMD applicants

Yes I didn’t apply for bsmd

got it

Yes, apply as sophomore and decisions are based on HS and first year college performance.

seton hall is not traditional bsmd program, all they do is just guarentee interview at medical school, unless i misunderstood. my c also got into seton hall with good scholarship

1 Like

I think Seton Hall is still a good option if there is no other assurance program acceptance. I heard Hackensack SOM reserves 25% seats to Seton Hall graduates, but most of that 25% goes to who are part of BSMD program. First batch from Seton Hall goes to SOM this year and you can probably request those stats from Seton Hall. So, it is almost guaranteed