Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

If your kid wants to go to your instate medical school, you should check the required GPA averages (no browny points for attending Rice or Harvard) at those schools. If your kid gets 3.8 and scores 520, they are competitive for most medical schools across the country.

Rice has A+ grades for many or most classes and so some of those graduating at the top of their class reach the 4.1-4.2 numbers.

Hello

We are also having this dilema, my C got into Cornel UG (no financial aid), UNC (public health top 2nd in US with no financial aid) and Hofstra 4+4 BS MD (33K UG financial aid)… The question now is does she go to Ivy or UNC and grind for another 4 years to maintain her GPA, grades, research and gruelling med school interview or have a somewhat relaxing UG at Hofstra give MCAT (they need minumum 80 percentile score in one seating) to attend Zuckar SOM? This med school is ranked 64th in 2023 US News and has access to 50 northwell health group hospital in NY area.

how hard it is to get 80 percentile on MCAT? Sorry dont know much about it so asking that seems to be only risk with this program as if she does not score that she is deined entry into Zuckar SOM.

I agree with @texaspg. Rice is in a good and safe neighborhood.
The campus is very inviting, and Rice students are more collaborative as they have multiple resources and opportunities per student.

As I have indicated earlier, you will not go wrong with either college.

1 Like

Also my C had a terrible experience with NJMS faculty interview, without going into details I can tell you all the questions were racially biased, politically motivated, and utter narrow minded attituded towards women. I may send email to dean as no other KID IMHO should go through this trauma and NJMS should be ashamed of even having this person on faculty. I udnerstand they want to test kids under stressful enviroment but I have never seen anyone so unproffesionally conduct interview.

Just to be clear, it would be kind of hard to get into an MD medical school without a 510 score (80th percentile?). Texas A&M which is around 80 or 85, has the same requirement for their EAP programs. So it is not the rank of the school that drives this but what their applicants are averaging during external admissions.

I know someone who attended Columbia, had 519 and didnt get an interview at Zucker (only reason to even apply was because it was in NY) but attending a top 25. So lot of these things at the next round are crapshoot.

1 Like

WOW that is crazy, overall what’s your take on Zucker medical school? There match list seems to be reasonable.

Brown is 8 years program. Its open curriculum can be a blessing for motivated students.

All others are 7 years.
At PMM or TCNJ, you can do your undergrad in 2 to 2.5 years and use the extra time to do research/ ECs / other things.

MCAT: I think giving an MCAT actually helps you in your first-semester transition to Med school.

Agree. These numbers are quite good for many texas schools because they operate at high GPAs with this range of MCATs as being aaverage but ORMs are still expected to do better since these are averages and only area one can do better is MCAT.

1 Like

Could you tell me what about the pre interview session that you didn’t like?

1 Like

@Vicky2019
70-80% is the Acceptance rate of Duke students applying to medical schools for the first time (national average is 40-45%). Plus Duke’s medical school is in T10.
https://prehealth.duke.edu/sites/prehealth.duke.edu/files/file-attachments/PreHealth%20Guide%20for%20First%20and%20Second%20Year%20Students%202017.pdf

1 Like

@texaspg @NoviceDad

Thanks for all the advise.

So looks like I need to shuffle my priority to

1. Rice
  2. Duke
  3. BU SMED

I’m attending Apr 8th owl day at Rice so it anyway gets the first shot to impress me : )

I’m a risk taker and feel confident enough to score high in college so not worried about GPA or MCAT.

Not to fluff-

Some high level academic stats - 13 AP’s (5’s in all 8 given so far), 1590 SAT (one sitting), SAT Subject 800 Maths II, 800 Biology, 800 Physics, Valedictorian, GPA 4.0 & weighted 4.44 out of 4.5 (max in school history)

5 Likes

Yes I have also heard of similar experience from previous students when they were asked racially biased questions and girls were asked about whether they plan to get married and have families or something like that

1 Like

Thanks to everyone that responded. UIC would be instate. Costs @ UIC are about $440K vs. $680K at BU. UIC and BU can be 7 years if you want to, though at UIC I don’t think they appreciate students finishing in 7 years and they would rather have them to a GAP year to pursue their other passions. BU seems 7 years is the norm. Acceleration is not primary factor. Its whatever leads to a good college and learning experience and eventually good residency match. Case western is the only other program we are waiting to hear back from.

2 Likes

WHy has no one complained about it to NJMS, in today’s world these type of questions are unacceptable. And trust me when I say this the questions that were asked to my C where even worst than what you have in your response. I am going to take action and send email to Dean of NJMS.

1 Like

I would like you to reconsider BU SMED since it provides a guarantee. Boston is great for health care. I have personally known students as well as visited the premises and liked it. let one experience at the pre-interview not dictate important life’s decision.

Both BU UG and SOM are pretty good and I would suggest not giving up this option for full pay at Duke or Rice!

2 Likes

Thank you @cheer2021 for the information
Studying at Duke UG doesn’t mean they will get into Duke SOM though!

I think the point was that the resources for undergraduate research are stellar…

1 Like

@Vicky2019 Thanks!

Yes agreed. BU SMED is a hard to let go plus Boston has lot of med/research opportunities and the reason I applied in first place.

Their BU SMED day is Apr 8th (same as Rice owl day) so will miss the same but planning to visit BU sometime this month.

1 Like

you would need to talk to admissions. I feel scholarship negotiations are on a case-by-case basis.

TCNJ is public and Stevens is private. What is the cost difference for you? Usually, Stevens gives good scholarships to attract students.

NJMS cost would be the same anyways!

Many past students have preferred TCNJ/NJMS option

Some get in to Duke’s SOM, but not all for sure. Same story for every Univ that has a SOM.

2 Likes