Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Since Hofstra is a 4+4 track, I think your child should be able to get a 510 on MCAT easily since his/her courseload will be evenly spread out over 4 years unlike in a 6-7 year BS/MD program

1 Like

Sure, agreed.

Yes I think that needs to be reported.

2 Likes

IMO Hofstra 4+4 seems a good offer, especially with 33K. Also, it’s in NYC.

In the end, Cornell and UNC are full pay and you would have to apply to SOM and pay again for med school. locations not comparable to NYC!

2 Likes

@carmaruti
Not 50, according to the Hofstra brochure they have 23. Even 23 is a lot, IMO.
MCAT is usually meant for one-time sitting, although some appear a second time and get a better score. Many BSMD parents posted in the past saying that their child got a way above than the min MCAT score required for the matriculation.
So you end up paying about $40K/yr for UG part at Hofstra. Is this Correct?
@mygrad2021 can provide more info on Hofstra bsmd experience.

@carmaruti I dont know a lot about Zucker specifically except that it is a prime location in US - New York! People who want to live in new york dont care which medical school they attend or which residency they attend so they are all interchangeable as options without specific school being preferred. So many look at Columbia, Cornell, NYU, iCahn, and Zucker based on location although a lot of them want to attend NYU because it is free tuition across board.

All medical schools are required to give you a base level of education and training as required by AAMC. However, what happens to you at the time of graduation and how you fare can vary widely based on how you do at your own school and your step score (used to be 3 but now it is one). So your competition level matters a lot at medical school in terms of your choices for residency and areas possible. So if you attend Penn, JHU, UCSF etc, you still have same number of AOAs as Zucker, you have to be given some rank despite reaching those schools against elite competition and still be ranked. Schools like Yale refuse to rank their students but it does not help a whole lot for residencies.

So one goes to Zucker which is considered a good school or even some unranked new US school, getting a high step 2 score and ranked high in their class allow them to pursue any specialization they choose. Only if they want to make it to highly ranked academic programs, they may not get as much traction but not everyone needs to end up at MGH to become an internist or HSS to be an orthopedic surgeon.

Edit: People take gap years to do research and enhance their resumes for specialties but this is not always necessary if one is aware what they want to be when they start medicine and start working in research right in the beginning. The gap year is for people who go through 2 years and still have not figured out their interest in a specific residency.

2 Likes

Does Brown have GPA deflation? How hard is it to get research and internship?

What were the bad reviews of BU campus?

@Sumluck - Perhaps @mom2boys1999 can help. Her kid joined Brown PLME last year

2 Likes

Does anybody know how many alternates there are for the GW/GW program and the probability of getting accepted off the waitlist? How would you compare GW and REMS for residency matching (and in general)?

1. List item

Duke

~80% of students take at least 1 gap year
~70%-80% acceptance rate includes folks with a gap year. Note: ~20-30% do NOT get into medical school.
-Like @Vicky2019 mentioned, getting into Duke undergrad does not Duke medicine will accept you.

3 Likes

@cheer2021 tution after scholarship is ~40K per year… Are you taking about incoming class size of 23 instead of 50? appraciate all details and I did tlak to mygrad2021 parent on hosftra, so far her C seems to like it

None of the undergrad schools can guarantee a medical admission in their school or any other medical school!

It all comes down to how hard you compete at any school you attend (get the 3.7 GPA at a minimum but 3.8 preferred), do well in MCAT, do a bunch of ECs that are medically relevant, and do research and make your parents pray a lot!

Interestly enough, most doctors I know believe in a higher power and come to think of a lot of their patient outcomes beyond their control. I know several cardiologists and oncologists who have become deeply religious as they have aged.

2 Likes

Well Brown has S/NC, so you can take classes for Pass/Fail basically. My son’s PLME advisor is a former PLME who took all classss S/NC except for the required BIO (4 of which must be passed with a B or higher).

My son almost lost his mind last semester when the Calc teacher gave them a midterm that was “accidentally too hard for even the TAs” (teachers words) but I think they give them a lot of grace and some pretty sharp curves. BIOL 200 this semester- a 70% is a B, 80% is an A. There are no minuses

Edited to say: I don’t foresee any issues with research or internships. They really have a lot of offerings and some are PLME specific as well as numerous volunteering opportunities.

My son had a list of stuff to try- with the fall semester struggles he scaled back, but we ancitipate he will back full steam for this fall :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Brown University (Alpert) is ranked No. 35 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 14 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

1 Like

Brown requires 4 BIO classes? Are 2 of them labs?

This was my son’s other BS/MD acceptance and if PLME hadn’t come along, he would have gladly gone. The 7 year program is attractive for financial savings and the city provides ample opportunities for medical activities. My EdS is from GWU and I loved it there.

Agree, go get a 4.0, high MCAT score, and do meaningful ECs that truly have impact on other people and demonstrate your commitment to becoming a leader in medicine/research. Then, you will not need to worry about taking GAP year (unless you want to as do quite a number of premed folks)…

@carmaruti
You said “…has access to 50 northwell health group hospital in NY area”. It’s not 50, actually 23. But 23 is a lot of hospitals to rotate. LOL.
Hofstra intake is 99 in their SOM. I think about 10 BSMDs are included in this count.

1 Like

For example, gap years include folks who do Rhodes, Marshall, and other prestigious post-graduate scholarships. Why is that a bad thing?