Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I am referring to Stanford(CA). I am not sure, why package is not similar!!

Harvard and Stanford are similar schools and should provide you same financial package. Harvard is definitely not worth 30k or 120k for a degree more than Stanford. If you want to attend Harvard, send them your stanford letter and ask them to match it.

They are different types of schools culturally and educationally. Harvard is more serious type where students are trying to do too many things on the side because everyone else appears to be doing same. They are also little more focused on sciences and liberal arts and not as much on technology. Stanford on the other hand is very focused on engineering, technology, Computer Science and has a lot of silicon valley industry influence. People are trying to do startups in the middle of their college. They are also very sports oriented and compete in every sport. Their students are compared to ducks that dont seem to be doing much on the outside but furiously paddling underneath.

2 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for the advise.

One third of Stanford admittees claim to be pursuing medicine as a career path (600-700 students) each year. Stanford encourages students “EXPLORE” once they get there and fewer than 250 actually apply to medicine at the time of graduation. Many find other passions along the way and find that they can make a lot more money at the time of graduation than a beginning doctor with a basic residency in many cases that can be 7 years later. Many of them start with first year packages of 250k at trillion dollar companies after graduation and some leave within a year or two to do their own startups. There was kid in my daughter’s class who had a T5 admission but joined Google with a 250k package and his parents were not too thrilled because they were concerned he would never pursue medicine. He did enroll after a deferral year and now in residency.

It comes down to maintaining your GPA (not very hard but hard in a quarter environment because you sneeze and the quarter gets over if you are not focused) to get into medicine. The famous Stanford saying is that if you are at 3.8 and (38) 520+ and attended stanford, you have a shot at most med schools for an interview.

3 Likes

I’d like to think that if you have a 520+ and 3.8, you have a shot at most med schools, period - without the name of Stanford. Those stats are so tough to get though!!

2 Likes
1 Like

Most premeds drop out when they take organic chemistry. What is most interesting about medicine it is not something you need!

There is a Brown on this forum who went to brown, finished md/phd somewhere in NY as he put it and moved on to residency who complained that organic chemistry is the least needed but the worst weed out class that eliminated a lot of probably would have been great doctors.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that is not the case as most people on SDN can attest

You have a shot at medical schools for sure but not many top schools grant you an interview. The Ivies are full of themselves and even if they grant an interview for people with lizzym scores of 80+, they dont admit you. Hopkins and WashU are much better schools in that regard from what I have noticed. I have been talking to couple of students from our state flagship who had interviews at Harvard, Penn, Mayo etc and neither got into Harvard, both waitlisted at Penn and Mayo. One of them was admitted to both Hopkins and WashU.

3 Likes

I completely agree with NoviceDad. I was taught growing up that “a bird in hand is worth a thousand in the forest”

1 Like

@texaspg,

I remember from the interview day at Jefferson where they mentioned MD/PhD as an option for all BSMD students. Also it says so in the LINK, page 6, last paragraph

I also noticed this in Upitt web page for GAP medicine at that time. Not sure, if they changed the option or not.
But, assuming that they add this information directly into their respective websites. I am sure students could also contact SOM admissions about this.

I really appreciate the valuable insights shared by the community members. My DS got offers from Union/AMC Leadership in Medicine and Drexel/Drexel Early Assurance program. We live in PA. Any insights or experience regarding these programs? How are these 2 medical schools comparatively? COA appears similar, so it isn’t a significant factor. Any help/word of advice is very much appreciated!

Interesting to see the statement they are open to people but not much elaboration. They should add a Q & A like they did for other significant questions. Anyone normally can do MPH with little additional paperwork at most colleges, MBA might be a little more competitive to get into at Penn vs Texas Tech but I would think it is much harder for someone to just join a PhD while holding an MD admission because normally they reject PhD requests while transferring them back to MD when people apply for combined.

2 Likes

Hi I am visiting St. Bonaventure this thursday, let me know what you think!

1 Like

@pacollege22
IMO, of the two choices you have, you need to compare the matriculation conditions and match list.

Sure. We are visiting this coming Saturday. Please let me know .

@texaspg
Even though you won’t have to know much about organic chemistry as a physician, but admission committee seems to look for something else out of this Organic Chemistry I and II course wild spin. Here is a viewpoint on this

Why Organic Chemistry is the Weed-Out Course for Medical School - General Premed Discussion - Premed Forums

1 Like

WashU BS/MD has shut down a couple of years ago. They took 4 students and had a close to 50% attrition rate due to their draconian requirements of a 3.8 GPA and 97 percentile on MCAT.

Pitt always had 3.75 GPA requirements which I think they bumped up to 3.8 this year. This is no MCAT unless you got admitted as test-optional. Pitt undergrad is relatively more relaxed than WashU. Pitt has a very low attrition rate in its GAP program.

3 Likes

Case’s BS/MD is with University Hospital - not Cleveland Clinic.
Its association with Cleveland Clinic has definitely helped Case.

3 Likes

Can’t be more correct! That “Kid A” who succeeded in path A could even have succeeded if he/she had chosen path B and vice-versa. One thing for everyone to lay to heart is that “Life is not a straight line” because there are just too many unknowns!

3 Likes

@texaspg
GPA 3.8 and MCAT 520+ : is that baseline for T20s or any MD schools in general?
Sharing @NoviceDad post here - seeing a few students with GPA 3.8 - 3.95 but MCAT between 509-513, ended up getting none in this year’s MD application cycle.

1 Like