Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

If your Emory fullride is merit based, they wouldn’t consider it.

So Stanford is your best bet for maximum difference of 25k

Harvard, Stanford and Princeton - all three have only need based packages, given to you based on parental financial statements provided to the schools.

Since they are supposed to be comparing same information but each school calculates needs their own way, packages tend to differ. If you ask to compare any thing under 10k difference, they wouldn’t budge but 25k is a big difference.

2 Likes

Harvard most likely does not consider Emory or Brown as a peer.
It seems Stanford gave you a sweet deal. Use that to ask Harvard to match.

In the event Harvard does not match, what concerns do you have about joining Stanford?

1 Like

I dont even see anything Brown offered. Although they are not an equivalent school, Harvard and Brown are supposed to have same financial aid principles because Ivy league claims to adhere to no merit only aid as a group.

1 Like

Yes…but need based offers from Ivy League schools can vary by many thousand of dollars. They don’t all use the same formula.

If this is a question about undergraduate need based financial aid, I would suggest that this be moved to the financial aid forum. It’s not about BS/MD programs.

@skieurope can these posts be moved!

2 Likes

As per my finding, Standford appears to be more towards technology and Engineering and US based recognition vs harvard is more better for premed and world recognition

@Sonihm -

Go ahead and show your admission letters from all other IVY’s (Brown), Standford, Emory to Harvard when you negotiate money. I don’t see any problem with it.

Your story would be that you are thrilled to get admitted into Harvard and Harvard is your top choice college. However, you/your family cannot justify paying more for Harvard when you have cheaper cost of attendance for Stanford and Full ride from Emory.

That can be your story.
HYPSM are considered top universities, all other IVY’s are considered lower and Emory and others even lower. But, all of these are top tier universities and provide great education.

Understand, you have no way of influencing Harvard to give more to you. Harvard has the distinction of being unique. They will look at your request and may decide to give you more merit or not. You cannot control their decision. They very likely have a ton of people similarly qualified (or slightly lower) as you and willing to pay full price!

However, for negotiation, you don’t need to justify to anyone.
The bottom line is your family wants to pay less for the best quality education you can have - ROI should be foremost in everyone’s mind and likewise yours!

2 Likes

There correct term is UiM, not URM

UiM mean Underrepresented in Medicine. It’s used for population groups where the percentage of doctors of the same ethnicity/race doesn’t match the percentage in the general population

There is substantial research and empirical evidence that patients often have MUCH better health outcome when they have a doctor from the same racial/cultural background.

ORM include both Asian and white applicants

UIM–every single medical school makes this determination for itself based upon the population it is trying to serve.

Certain Asian subgroups are considered UiM at many schools. (Vietnamese, Hmong, etc) And some medical schools actually consider all Asians as UiMs. (Utah does, for example, although you also need to be a Utah resident to get UiM consideration.) Filipinos may or may not be considered UiM depending on the area where the med school is located.

In general, UiM refers to black, Native American, Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian, and Native Pacific Islander applicants.

Among Hispanic applicants, generally only Mexican-Americans and Puerto Rican Americans are considered UiM, but only if they are fully immersed in/connected to their culture. Cuban-American applicants are considered ORMs.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the exact summary of my case.

1 Like

Residency PDs don’t like gap years between med school graduation and starting residency. Especially research years where med grads aren’t engaged in any clinical work. Knowledge and skills decay are major concerns for PDs since program do not have the time or staffing to bring an intern up to speed. Interns have to hit the ground running.

Look at NRMP Match data, you’ll see that Med Grads are less likely to Match and are less likely to match into competitive specialties.

If a med student is going to do research, it’s best done during a gap year between MS2-MS3 or MS3 and MS4., not post graduation.

5 Likes

Interesting… Thank you for your detailed reply.
That somewhat contradicts to what @NoviceDad said…
How can Asian and White be considered as one ethnicity/race? If they are looking to match the percentage in the general population for the reasons you described, how can Caucasian Americans and Asian Americans be in the same category? I am not arguing with you. I simply do not know but want to understand!

Congrats and it’s a great problem to have between 2 good schools.

You won’t go wrong in either of them but IMHO, based on your D preference (particularly on Location), I will give more weightage to BU. As you said , she is the one to live and if folks don’t like location then “nothing matters”.

Without naming cities/states/colleges (don’t want flames), i have worked with students who simply “don’t want to go to certain places/states period.” and they are all happy with those choices.

Don’t worry about test, research etc., they will get used to all this as to finish MD they will be doing more :slight_smile: but if “College A speaks to them” (like Boston to her) then that’s all matters.

Good luck

Good luck.

1 Like

@2018Summer2018

Asian and white aren’t consider the same race or ethnicity. Both racial groups are over-represented among physicians currently practicing in the US.

1 Like

Well written @WayOutWestMom

Asian and white are NOT considered one race/ethnicity but “maybe” as “one category”.

The ONLY reason for that being that “Caucasians” represents more doctors (right now) and ORM(Asians) represent more 'potential doctors" based on interest/applications.

Just an example…
College A has 10 seats … for which there will be 200 ORM (Asians), 50 Caucasian, 10 UIM etc., so you see the competition.

The place where being Caucasian becomes plus (IMO) if a college in NJ wants diverse other than ORM and also wants to look at folks from other state then it becomes plus else it’s almost same as original ORM (Asians)

1 Like

I have always understood BU SMED as being possible to complete in 7 years but there is no requirement in the program to complete undergrad in 3 and people do take 4 years to complete.

Is this not correct? Do most people try to finish in 7 years?

Our BU parent says they all finish in 3 years and get 95-100th percentile MCAT with no prep.

1 Like

must have magic mushrooms to do with no prep!

I know someone locally who did the extra year of undergrad but then left the program, did some other stuff for a couple of years and then joined another MD program.

Is Emory full ride a need based or named scholarship?

For those of you that have mentioned getting into Temple BSMD was that Temple-Temple of WJ-Temple? Still waiting on the latter.

@sonihm
I know in your case the COA for Emory is $0 because you have a rull ride, what is COA for all other 3 choices after need-based aid/scholarships?