Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I don’t know, maybe times have changed. But I went to one of the tippy top schools and took MCAT after sophomore year, and used the rest of the 4 years to do longitudinal research and ECs and no need for gap years…

2 Likes

Only thing changed is admissions become tougher and kids have more distractions. You don’t need gap years or lot of IB and AP credits to do normal course load and have enough time for ECs and research. 1/3rd of admitted students have no gap years. Majority of students I know have no gap years and lot of them went to so called “fancy” schools. The one that have gap years stumbled in first year and took gap years to recover and parents here go crazy over that and push for any BSMD. Same stuff I have been reading last 5 years!

1 Like

I have heard that the UMKC bs/md graduation requirements for MD are very low. I have also heard that most students are able to graduate. Even though I am not inclined towards 6 years bs/md programs, UMKC may be the best one compared to other 6 yrs programs
Most UKMC is favored and applied by students residing in Missouri or neighboring states. RPI/AMC would be too far location-wise. So, even though RPI/AMC 7 yrs physician-scientist program is good in general, UMKC may still end up being a better option for your DD.

I have also heard that UMKC is very expensive, especially for out-of-state students. Hopefully, UMKC would be reasonably priced for your family?

1 Like

May I ask why did you need the whole 4 years on undergrad at this tippy top school when you had so many AP credits? Hope you (or parents) hadn’t spent a fortune on it (the figures I was referring to earlier posts)

By the way gap year(s) was kind of unheard of slightly more than a decade ago. Pretty much every one with a decent academic record at undergrad used to directly go to med school. Now majority need it.

Or if you decide later on to do premed. But, if you’re focused from the beginning, no need for gap year unless it’s for Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship as with some of my friends…

1 Like

One general statement… maybe useful (maybe not so take it like grain of salt)

• College likeness (for lack of better word to fit, location, collaboration etc.) to the student is MORE important too
  • Be open on plus and minus (Talk with peers) on the 6/7 years (there are lots of parents here who’s kids were in the program). Just bcoz its less years don’t mean it’s done… imagine the # of hours/days/weeks extra they have to spend… not many will be cut for it (and it may result in burn).
  • Similar feeling about traditional or T20 schools too…

In short just bcoz Person A choose 6/7 or Traditional doesn’t mean Person B can be successful… analyze it with your kid (very important).

I know (personally) both +ve and -ve on those (from JHU to Brown to college X …so it’s all personal fit only IMO)

Happy for many acceptances.

3 Likes

Because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to engage with diverse people at such a high intellectual level…

2 Likes

For some (esp parents) that’s not important. Risk free way to make money quickly is more important.

Sure but guess you chose not to answer the cost aspect of it.

Last I checked most BSMD programs are not cheap either and middle to lower tier.

(https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/539738-biden-pick-for-surgeon-general-made-over-2m-on-covid-19-consultations/)

One must ask what made his selection for surgeon general twice an acceptable one and why not someone who went to a BSMD school?

Not sure what’s the question is.

Are you asking whether he is an qualified doctor or something else

BTW it’s an Feb 2021 ( more than year old ) news

When schools look at your GPA, will they calculate it to a 4.0 scale? For example, if you have a 95/100 UW would it be looked at through the standard 4.0 scale or the 100 scale?

They are looking at your school profile and not your own GPA. so if there are students with 110/100 and someone is submitting 95/100 they know the performances are not comparable.

Hi! Hofstra BSMD, RPI/AMC, and Yale. Please compare

1 Like

So I gave up Boston SMED, NJMS and committed to Duke; will be a blue devil :imp: .

One of the toughest decision; all the best to everyone on this journey :+1:

11 Likes

As you said, only 1/3rd of students get in without a gap year.
That means 2/3rds of students take 1 or more gap years. And I can tell the reason is not always due to stumbling in the first year.

The probability says you are more likely in the gap year group if you pursue the traditional route.

1 Like

Congratulations!!!
Please do so if you have not shared your stats and perspectives in the RESULTS thread.
If you have, thank you.

Thank you @AvidEnthusiast for sharing your stats and perspectives on the RESULTS thread.
Congratulations on NJIT/NJMS.
Wishing you the best.

1 Like

Thank you @cow123 for sharing your stats and perspectives on the RESULTS thread.
Congratulations on PMM.
Wishing you the best.

1 Like