Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Please reach out to @grtd2010
His/her child did the Temple BS/MD and can provide a perspective on its undergrad PreMed track.

Question for you:
What are your driver’s for Temple?
In-state? Scholarships? close to home? something else?

It depends on the interviewer. The interview with BUSM was about 45 minutes and CAS was about 30 minutes; the CAS interviewer said his interviews are on the shorter side.

1 Like

For those who got TCNJ and NJIT interviews, congrats! What was the email that you received the update from? I don’t think I received an email - does this mean I probably won’t get in or still have hope?

How else got interview with BU ?

I got an email from TCNJ saying I didn’t get an interview so I think you still have hope

1 Like

It is out of state, but i got a pretty decent scholarship. I already got into Nyit’s BSDO program and am waiting to hear back from others, but I just wanted to know if reg temple premed was a good option.

I tried to reach out but they aren’t accepting messages atm

7year@tcnj.edu was the email the update was from. mine went to spam folder so you might want to check there if you haven’t already

Still waiting for BU. What dates does Boston have interview dates? I think total of 4 interview sessions for BU. Maybe they called people for 2 of these dates

A current SMED posted earlier that he got his interview somewhere mid January. When I sent an email, was told they will be calling throughout January.
There was an information session on Monday, which had 26 kids.

1 Like

I suggest you wait till you have all offers on hand before deciding.

Some thoughts on Temple:

Penn State, U-Pitt, and Temple are 3 state supported institutions i.e. PA government transfers hundreds of millions of dollars to these institutions to keep fees “low.” it is another matter that the in-state fees at these institutions are among the highest in the country.

Of these three institutions, Pitt probably has the best undergrad pre-med track and resources around it to support a student’s EC needs. Penn State follows next and followed by Temple.

Temple does have a decent pre-med track.
At the end, a student needs to take initiative and be focused on his/her goals to make the most out of the undergrad experience.

What I don’t like about Temple - the neighborhood is pretty bad (I think only UChicago’s neighborhood is worse) and the administration is chaotic.

1 Like

There is another BU information session tomorrow 2/13

Is this invitation only session?

Yes

I know people who took the nice undergrad scholarship from Temple to attend premed only and gone onto medical schools. The big state schools provide great research, shadowing and volunteering opportunities. So if the reason to choose Temple is money go for it. I advised a close relative to take the money over trying to pay large tuition at Pitt about 9 years ago and now that person is in the middle of applying for a residency.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I am thinking too. If my daughter did not get into any BS/MD we are debating between temple and Pitt. She got full scholarship from temple and 10k/year from Pitt.

What are the BSDO disadvantages compared to BSMD. I am hearing that its going to merge the BSMD and BSDO…

MD tends to specialize, DO tends to go into primary care

There are many DO Doctors in Surgery, Dermatology…etc … how it possible if its only Primary care

Residency matches have already merged, starting last year.
Both MD and DO students have a shot at all residency specialties.

If you look at data, most DO candidates typically have a lower MCAT score than MDs.
DO students spend at least 200+ hours learning about OMM.
A higher proportion of DOs (compared to MDs) practice in primary care.