***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Yes, thats right. The only difference is that the tution for undergrad students in Penn State, state college. The instate students would pay less/in-state fees.

1 Like

That seems to be the case with most BSMD programs except Pitt and REMS.

1 Like

If not mistaken, that is true PA medical schools does not have to care about IS vs OOS because PA state is not funding similar to other states. If not mistaken the main state school U of Pittsburg the difference for IS and OOS fees for MD is only $2k and even IS state fee is whooping $59k. It is sad, unless UPenn or other schools gives substantial aid for MD which is unlikely. If finance is a critical factor in your personal situation, remember PA schools cost more.

There are many other programs with <50% chance after interviews e.g. Case, AMC, VCU, Downstate, UMKC, Temple, etc.

1 Like

PA State funds ~150 million each to Penn State, Pitt, and Temple.
What % of that goes to medical school vs undergrad studies is not known.

But taking ~90% OOS students indicates they do not have any in-state mandates they need to comply with.

1 Like

I thought AMC is 50%

AMC is 20%-25%. They interview about 240 students for 45 collective seats.
They keep a small waitlist, but offers are given only to 45 students.

2 Likes

What is the deadline to accept Penn State PMM offer? I do not see a deadline mentioned anywhere.

This year only 119 candidates (RIP, Union and Sienna) were interviewed for 45 positions at AMC.

1 Like

My son got in Penn State PMM too! He is super excited and happy. Congratulations to all others who got accepted.

3 Likes

Congratulations to your kid and the proud parents, on his admission to PMM :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Congratulations!! Do you see a deadline to accept?

Thank you so much!!

I did not see it, but I thought it was before May 1st like any other colleges.

Pennsylvania med schools costs of attendance are more than 80k/year for both IS and OOS.

1 Like

My son also got the PMM program. Super excited and thrilled. Congrats to all the accepted students and family.

4 Likes

Don’t know the factual data and reasoning. Want to make a general statement so that both students and parents should be aware there is something unusual about PA state and the Medical Education.

Though you mentioned 3 state medical schools, for whatever reason US News site lists only Pitt with IS and OOS fees with $2k difference and close to $60k. For Temple and PMM it states just 1 fee $58k. Bottom line there is no state funded medical school to have the cost similar to other states.

TX funds more and that is why they may have the mandate to take 90% of IS students and even their OOS cost is < most of the states IS cost.

Some thing unusual with PA state.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I saw some bad reviews on sdn stating that things have changed in the past two years. But thank you for taking time to explain

Is there a Facebook group or group for accepted PMM students? Would anyone be interested in making one?