***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Sent you DM

They interviewed on different dates in Jan.

Any update on VCU GMED interview?

@NoviceDad Could you DM me also? Also contemplating external counselorsā€¦

Sent you DM.

1 Like

First AMC makes money by applicationsā€¦then they send out few people for eye wash interview and finally itā€™s only .1% will get seat confirmation from each feeder I guess.

1 Like

Last year the result came out on March 4th

Are AMC and Drexel the only two med schools with a secondary application fee? And they are also some of the most expensive BS-MD programs (at least through the RPI feeder). After our experience with the secondary application with a short deadline from AMC some years back, we didnā€™t even bother to apply with the second kid. I suppose the cost factor means more to us than the risk of not getting acceptance to med school without a gap year.

Please DM me - considering external counselors

2 Likes

Meant NoviceDad

Sent you DM

Actually the Union/AMC cost is worse than RPIā€¦ It is just riddiculousā€¦

1 Like

@ NoviceDad did not get the DM
Thanks

Be happy since AMC allows to apply only thru 1 feeder school. In 2016 cycle it used to allow thru all 3 feeder schools. The moment $300+ collected, very next day itself it sent a rejection. AMC is ridiculous. Agree if finance it tight, think twice about AMC and its feeder schools. If a kid is determined to pursue medicine, s/he will prevail in the normal route.

3 Likes

Not sure about landing at T5-T20 med schools, but any other med school should be an attainable goal going the traditional route. For the MCAT, I am taking my own two kids, who are normal kids like any of the BS-MD applicants, for example. Do not let the fact that you will need to take the MCAT and score high scare you away from taking the tradition path.

That test is used to gauge your critical thinking ability on top of your basic, mostly freshman level scientific knowlege. My D didnā€™t study at all and she still scored at the top 30%. Imagine if she had studied a bit more. Given her preference is not in STEM, even though she matriculated a T-25 med school due to her prior BS-MD acceptance, she decided to take a different path. My son will be taking the MCAT in March. He consistently scored 527 or 528 on the AAMC full-length practice tests with one more left before the real exam. He studied quite a bit more. That proved to be an overkill because he later realized that if he only needs a 515, which is a great score for most programs, his freshman knowledge would do it, including ochem and biochem knowledge that he gained in a sophomore-level nutrition class.

CARS section is still tricky but if you follow testing strategies from any of the top test prep companies and practice often, youā€™ll figure out what will work for you. We didnā€™t even invest in any high-priced test prep program. The less than $300 investment in the AAMC MCAT bundle seems to do its job. AAMC practice packs seem to be more closely aligned with the AAMC practice exams than other packs from test prep companies. While test prep companies make AAMC full-length practice tests a part of their practice regimens, their own materials seem to be deflated and make students doubt their ability. We need for the full length practice to reflect the degree of difficulty of the real tests. My research tells us that the AAMC bundle is the best. However, its explanation for the correct answers is less than desirable. You can always get much better explanation from Jack Westinā€™s.

Do what is best for you, but unless you have unlimited resources to pay for both legs of the BS-MD journey, please think twice about taking an unaffordable path because you got scared of the traditional path.

6 Likes

Hi All, i have a quick question. My daughter got accepted to SLU med scholars, UCF BMS, uToledo Ba2ccmd and desperately need advise which one to choose

Re-sent it.

1 Like

Please provide more details - about the background, costs, pros, cons from your perspective.

1 Like

Anyone doing the Rowan DO med school interview this month? We will beā€¦wondering if anyone has applied through the Rutgers Camden to Rowan DO pathā€¦if so please DM me and can share some feedback / exchange info. Thanks.

We have a Rowan DO interview later on in Marchā€¦donā€™t know yet what to expect and no details yet on format and date. FYI.