***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Was this your first choice by any chance

Sent you a DM!

We are still waiting. Have you heard anything?

We are still waiting to hear back from upstate accelerated scholars. Did you hear anything?

First of all thanks to everyone for the guidance and advice for the students and parents and hearty congrats to all the students and parents for all their achievements. This forum is helpful.
My daughter is accepting VCU GMED program and we are from the West coast (Washington). We would like to connect with students and parents who have accepted VCU GMED as my daughter is in the process of finding her new roommate. Really appreciate it if you can contact me, so we can get connected and plan further and be supportive of each other. Thanks in Advance!

4 Likes

Kid got into the following programs (some of them are totally different) and trying to figure out the best option for him. Looking for inputs from the pros.

Instate for IL
Direct Med

1. UIC
    2)UMKC (we currently have our other son in the program and familiar with the program)
    3)VCU (with Presidential Scholarship)
    4)Case Western (waiting for the decision and per him the interview went very well) - Has 40K+ merit scholarship.

Comp Science
1)UIUC Grainger with 10K merit scholarship
2)Berkeley
3)Waiting to hear from few IVY and competitive schools (applied in RD)

Pre-Med track
1)Washu
2)Northwestern
3)Vanderbilt with Cornelius scholarship (full tuition ride for all 4 years)
4)Waiting to hear from few IVY and competitive schools (applied in RD)

2 Likes

Vanderbilt or Case Western sound like great options with all the money on the table. Is the 40k per year?

Assuming the kid gets into a few Ivies, would you qualify for financial aid?

We don’t qualify for any need based aid.

For Case it’s per year for all 4 years.

Ivy-type of schools are usually very generous. Did you run the Net Price Calculator on all of those schools? You might be suprised that you could get some kind of price break for tuition.

Take Vanderbilt CV scholarship. BTW, it’s fully tuition scholarship not full ride. 6 years back my son gave up BU 7 year program and one Ivy for Vanderbilt CV (despite lot of people advising against it) and he had great time and did very well in academics. He got multiple medical school admissions with scholarships from 2 T5 schools.

Hello;

I got into UMKC … can I connect with your son in the program ? I am in process of making my final decision about it; and would like some more information .

Thanks

Will check. Thank you.

Thank you and yes it’s full ride for the schools tuition fee only (~ 61K per year).

2 Likes

Sure. DM me your contact info and I will pass it to my son.

1 Like

When will you hear about MD at Case?

I heard that the finalists decisions will come
Out on April 7th.

1 Like

Full ride means dorms and meals also covered.

1 Like

I know and that’s why I mentioned full tuition ride in my original message too. I tried to provide as much info as I can for others to provide their inputs instead of trying to search for the value of that scholarship.

For VCU, school is also covering some of the tuition difference we have to pay as an OOS and the net cost for us is around 10K per year for all 4 years and it covers tuition, dorm.

Case is a good medical school. With tuition subsidized and a guaranteed medical seat, it would be great choice at some additional expense.

Otherwise Vandy would be a great choice with the named scholarship. My theory is that having a named scholarship helps with medical schools if one does well during the undergrad. The medical schools know they are getting someone who was highly sought after coming out of high school. @srk2017 already mentioned his son but I also know someone currently in residency who went from Vandy to Hopkins and his sole reason for attending Vandy over places like Caltech was the scholarship.

3 Likes