***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Yes, if you go to top HS or college you need to perform at higher level unfortunately for admissions. However those schools narrates them well for college. Our school is a national champion in science competitions and kids ran into same issues with Ivies and parents get upset. Most of them did very well at other schools like Berkeley.

I see sometimes those are the students preferring BSMD due to burnout factor in HS. Interestingly hardly anyone goes to BSMD from our school. Only 2 in last 7,8 years

If I remember correctly NYU main campus was also trying to offer 3 year program with guaranteed residency for some fields but you get to apply after sometime in the program. It was a little more expansive with more specialties included but not given upfront.

With free tuition, I felt it was a wasted effort but there are always students who might want to get done early I guess.

Edit: Added the NYU description

1 Like

The LI campus is said to produce primary care in 3 years.
The NYC campus 3 year program is supposed to grant residency during the acceptance to the program. The curriculum is supposed to be the same as their 4 year program, except for the elective rotations

Per the current residency match list, very few chose to be internal and several chose fields other than designated at NYU long island.

Before free tuition at NYU, my friend’s C did 3 year MD and admitted for Ophthalmology when started MD itself at city. Student did research on Glaucoma during UG and post UG and Marshal scholar and went abroad for 1 or 2 years before starting MD. Student is a fellow in UM in Glaucoma.

Incidentally student got BS/MD at TCNJ/NJMS but opted to do regular UG at an Ivy. As long as student is clear in his/her thoughts and ready to put efforts anything possible at any time. No pain no gain.

1 Like

Per the MSQ, 52% reported they worked at another career during their gap year(s). Some worked as research associates (46%) [presumably because these jobs are the easiest to access for students bound for med school] 40.2% said they had to work to stabilize their finances before starting/applying to med school. 24% said they had family obligations they needed to attend to after college graduation.

1 Like

Have talked to two applicants this year who made it to med school this season - one did 1 year of research coordination at their university while the other did 2 years at a large hospital.

You are absolutely right, with your closing comments about medical school admissions being so apt. That’s what I and few other veterans on this forum have been trying to drive at for the past few years, and I believe we have been quite successful, but there are always others with … you know what I mean.

So moral of the story is don’t send kids to competitive high schools if they can’t be exceptional?

3 Likes

Actually there is no worst place for a student than the one where he/she is at the bottom of the class no matter how good school is. What are chances and level of happiness of the lowest student at MIT? Student will be miserable always trying to catch with the rest. Do not know about Ivies or not technical schools. :thinking:
For premed for sure a student should be at the top of the class. Choosing Hopkins to be one at the bottom with grade deflation is very stupid. Student would have a better chances at UMBC for a medical school.

1 Like

does anyone know when one could expect to hear back from rpi/amc wait list?

1 Like

or from w&j / temple lksom program?

We learned a lot for BS/MD journey through this thread. Thanks.
Is there any similar thread for regular med school admissions, independent of the college as my son needs to focus on traditional track.

WayOutWestMom is an expert in med school admission. If you look her up, you’ll probably can find a good thread to follow. Reddit also has a lot of info. Just like any anonymous forum, take what you can get, do your diligence to confirm what’s appropriate for you. Info might have been correct/true as posters knew at the time, but info/processes change over time. COVID-19 itself brought about major changes in admission (virtual interview, test optional, virtual shadowing, mental health awareness, etc). DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) is now not only about race and gender. Lots of things to process. Good luck on your next journey!

1 Like

We have annual threads for MD admissions but unfortunately the threads have been slow in the last 2 years.

Any questions you have can be posted in the standard premed forum.

deleted

Agree, so one should assess their one strengths and weaknesses and decide whether to go competitive high school or college and then try to perform. That you need to be in top 2% or 10% of the class (regardless of school’s competitiveness) is what I tell community member here when they reach out to me and also did a seminar on that. However going to the competitive high school do prep them well college despite where they ended up.

Problem I have is, couple of parents here afraid of their kids not performing at top level at Ivies or Hopkins or other schools so go for BSMD safety. There is nothing wrong with but coming with fear mongering and attacking those try to encourage kids to aim high is a disservice to all. We have been seeing same pattern for last 6 years. I keep coming back to counter those.

Sent you PM

1 Like

Not really. Because here parents are active but during regular route, students don’t need hand holding that much and they may like to be independent. Few key points. 1. Plan and inform them to take MCAT when in college (but after doing pre-req courses specifically 2 semester organic chem and biochem). 2. Plan and start the volunteer work related to medical (it takes time and logistics may pose hurdles). This is more critical than doing research. 3. Apply broadly, not necessarily only top x or y or z. Most of the colleges top 60 or 70 are equally good and they impart good education. Knowledge alone does not make the best doctor only the humane aspect will make them succeed ( and we need as we all age). GL.

@akpman only take the MCAT when you’re ready because there’s an annual and a lifetime limit for it. To get the application in early (May/early June), you’d need to take it by the May test date the year you want to apply to have it ready by the time your AMCAS application is verified.
Whatever you choose to do in undergrad should be about maturing and understanding why you want medicine and articulate it in your primary and secondary app and during interviews, not about checking the boxes. Gap year(s) or not is totally your choice, just be sure to have it planned if you feel you need that time. That makes the outcome more controllable. It makes one feel better if it’s something they plan for than it’s something sprung on them. MCAT scores are only good for a few years; then, they expire, so plan the MCAT in conjunction with your planned gap year(s).