***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Thanks for the clarification @park1212

1 Like

It make sense now!

Is BAYLOR/BAYLOR still open for BS/MD .?

I think it’s still open. Their Baylor2Baylor program for both medical and law track website is still up: https://www.baylor.edu/honorscollege/index.php?id=959662

@Chepurp
IMO, at USF once you meet the below criteria with BMS major, you are in the program pending some formalities and conditional acceptance into BS/MD program. You can check for more info at the email they mentioned on their website.

Info from USF website…
PLEASE NOTE: There is no formal application for the 7-Year B.S./M.D. Program. Students interested in following the 7-Year B.S./M.D. Track must reach initial eligibility requirements (below) and should communicate this information to their Honors College advisor during their summer orientation. Students will formally declare their intent to follow the Program by completing a declaration form on the B.S./MD website in mid-April of the first year on campus.

INITIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (FALL 2020 AND BEYOND)

• Apply directly for Undergraduate Admission to USF and, after, to the Judy Genshaft Honors College (JGHC)
  • Initial eligibility: 4.0 weighted HS grade point average (GPA), as calculated by USF Undergraduate Admissions and SAT (Critical Reading and Math sections) score of 1500 or combined ACT score of 34 (we super-score all attempts for both tests)
  • Once admitted to USF and the Judy Genshaft Honors College, no additional application is required for the 7-Year B.S./M.D. Program. Note: Admission to JGHC does not imply 7-Year eligible; you must meet criteria identified in bullet 2 above.
    7-Year B.S./M.D. Program
    BS/MD BS/DO Results - FALL 2022 applicants - #74 by verdant19

Agree 100%…it may be diversity bugs but not correct (IMO)…

TBH … i still think some of the existing ones are good…they have been in field for 100 years, so they are NOT crappy.

I am all for more BSMD (yes, i am biased) for this simple reason

1. If Person A wants to be Pitcher/Quarterback/Doctor … why the heck does he/she can’t choose that path particularly for him/her (as long as he/she is qualified).

BTW, if you look at some of the interview process/questions… they were NOT easy (and many old/experienced folks may have struggled too)

1. The world (USA) in particular needs more medical help (with new crap shooting every now and then) and we are creating artificial hurdles.

Anyway we/you play with the same rules and we can do nothing :slight_smile:

Apologize in advance for the hard truth.

Yes it will be harder (BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE).

Many colleges already have in-state preference and on top of that you can add all other subcategory like OOS (i.e. allocation for 1 state as they may not want everyone to come from 1 OOS), race, grades, shadowing, honors etc.,

I won’t lose hope, you can still submit a “well rounded applicant” and have a good shot of cracking it.

This makes “college selection” more important (for example … if you are interested in helping rural community as your resume, shadowing shows that and your college prefers those areas then you have a better shot)

@Rali_Jan Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we are both ORM and OOS to all BSMD programs. But like you said, I will keep my hope alive and apply broadly as many in the CC community advise. Thank you.

1 Like

Really sad to see Rice/Baylor, BU SMED stopping their programs. I wonder if any of this is in anticipation of the expected Supreme court ruling next year on the Harvard/UNC case on race considerations during admissions. (expectations are that the supreme court will rule that universities should go race-blind in admissions).

As @jjung111 mentioned, it is still open.

No - not related to Harvard.
BLM movement has been a turning point in colleges expressing increased focus on diversity with an emphasis on African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans.
BS/MD programs attract a lot of Asian Americans, but they are not considered minorities for admission purposes.

If the universities go race-blind, it will actually increase the number of Asian-American students at most colleges.

2 Likes

Yes, and that is the reason they are trying to go to holistic to get around the race blind requirement.

Many of the schools had a field day (year) managing admissions during Covid without standardized tests - they could pretty much admit anyone they wanted for undergrad or medicine!

2 Likes

yes, i agree that the holistic admissions are used to go around the race blind requirement or to justify selecting whoever they like.

Subjective factors (ECs, music, sports, etc.) can be considered over any objective factors (SAT, subject tests, MCAT, USMLE Step 2, etc.) and can then be used to justify selecting the same pool of kids they were originally planning anyway…

1 Like

I would take the race-blind admissions with a grain of salt…to me the whole admission process is like a black box, not at all transparent!

2 Likes

Speaking of subjective factors, ECs, music, sports and whatever else this group thinks of - none of them are usually part of the holistic process or weigh more than 1-2% if they were to be considered.

The list includes the following - First gen, being raised poor, sexual orientation and issued faced, URM, having hardship stories, undocumented (not very sure about medicine but a lot for undergrad), and intersectional (I am still getting a hang of how that works).

1 Like

i personally don’t buy the current " random mixture of people" based on some arbitrary structure defining “this is how the class should be”

If someone applies the same rule … say to NHL … or NBA or MLB or any sports or damn (even politicians) will that work… nope.

I want the university to follow the diversity (because that’s how our kids are going to grow) but to “exclude” someone because he/she doesn’t fit the “arbitrary rule” is wrong.

Sadly none of us make these rules …

3 Likes

RICE/Baylor is pretty much TX … infact I believe TX schools “need to fill” 80-90% local so it should not matter for OOS anyway.

Texas schools have a strict 90% rule because state pretty much pays for the medical schools. Baylor does not have that requirement as a “SUPPOSED” private school which was ready to merge with Rice a few years ago until Rice board said no. What Baylor has is an agreement that State pays for a certain number of seats for which they charge instate tuition. At one time it was 75% but lately it has been closer to 80+.

So in theory, every one of the seats can be OOS at the time of admission but all can be converted with a simple purchase of land to become instate since it saves 10k in tuition per year or try to become a resident in other ways since one will be spending 4 years in the state going to college.

1 Like

Question!

If a HS senior is applying for a BS/MD program and during senior year, student is taking a Medical Assistant class (certification, and then direct patient care), can the student include the hours of patient care?

Or is counting the patient care hours “wrong to do” because the student is getting “high school credit”?

Texas A&M has 2 or 3 different scholar programs (Engineering to medicine, science to medicine, liberal arts to medicine etc) with 5 seats each. We have seen people here get into those programs as OOS. However, their rule is that student should become a resident when entering medical school giving them 4 years to meet that requirement.

Based on this list, I am unsure how many seats A&M has for regular admissions!