Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

While still there is enough time for hearing back, don’t count too much on publications. More and more programs over time got skeptical of those with published research at high schools from institutions line NIH. A lot of the folks getting such opportunities used to be those with contacts in there. And when they matriculate into the programs the program directors and others would inevitably notice that they are not of the caliber they were projecting, even as they did well answering the questions about the research in the interviews.

Good luck everyone with the interview calls. Patience is the virtue here.

Don’t be disheartened, who knows there is something better than that. Every year it happens, the schools you expected doesn’t show any love and a reach school showers on you. A publication certainly helps for research powerhouse colleges and unfortunately there are hardly any BS/MD programs in that category.

@Sooar78 - I agree with @PikachuRocks15 logic.

To all -

One question is bothering me…and I am not a Doctor so, wanted to understand how USMLE step exams work?

I am guessing the below -
Every student needs to pass 4 US licensing exams (USMLE steps 1, 2, 3).

Students who want to return to USA would take these exams after 5.5 years of MBBS.

And students in USA medical schools usually take these exams between years 1-4

So, logically, accelerated program (3+4 yrs BSMD) students would have take steps 1 & 2 exams by 5.5 years… and regular route students (no gaps) would have taken at least the step 1 exam by 5.5 years…

While Students from Indian medical colleges have not even taken any USMLE exam before 5.5 years…since they are busy with their MBBS! So, how are students in India saving time or able to finish earlier than US students?

Also, I heard that Students who study outside USA would probably need higher scores compared to US students causing students to re-take the USMLE Step exams - making it even longer.

Am i incorrect?

Thanks @mygrad2021 . I looked it up, but which programs require it?

thanks @rk1235rk

Do not worry, you need to have perseverance and patience with BSMD admissions since these are long. Please see my poster # 1939 and #1935 from @mygrad2021 .

Students doing MBBS in India do not have to wait until they finish MBBS before they attempt Step 1. All of the syllabus of Step 1 is covered by the time they finish 3rd year. And Step 1 can be given outside USA. For Step 2 and 3, they have to visit US.

And most students don’t even give Step 3. Scores in Step 1 used to be the most important exam that determined which residency a student will get. But that might change when Step 1 goes to pass/fail in near future.

Some IMG even do rotations ( not necessarily India’s MBBS students) at US hospitals and follow same schedule for all USLME step examinations and participate in NRMP along with US medical school graduates.
There is no large scale H1B visa program for medical doctors yet like in Tech industry. Most Indian doctors come to US on J visas/F1 visa as graduate students or by marrying a US citizen (mostly arranged marriages).

@rk1235rk - Thank you for the clarification & the explanation.

@grtd2010 - Thank you for sharing. Good to know!

@Sooar78, leaving the money part aside doing MBBS in India and trying to do MD in USA is very hard. I personally know two people-one of them already gave up on USMLE exams and one other person is preparing for USMLE exams since two years. Also based on on where you are located and depending on your contacts you might need to work as a Doctor for at least one year. But on the same note I know several others who are succeeded doing very good but not in the recent years. Also Hospitals here will give less preference to people who did MBBS outside of USA and will not give better programs.

A significant number of US students (US citizens) follow the path of being an IMG and succeed in achieving their goal of becoming a medical doctor in US.

Just to add, if you choose to apply to Temple/LKSOM BSMD, you will need to take CASper prior to a medical school interview during junior year of UG. Your assessment of CASPer must on file. You may need to take a medical ethics class for CASPer.

Step 1 & 2 are taken during medical school 2-4 years. Usually Step 3 is taken after completing the first year of residency. Most likely Step 1 score will be replaced by appropriate step 2 assessments for residency by PDs.

You can not work as a doctor in US unless you are licensed to practice medicine. There is a fallacy here in you statement above working as a doctor. You have to pass all USLE step exams and do a full residency program before you can be licensed. May be you meant as a resident trainee.
You can take Step 1 and 2 but need a full residency year before taking Step 3. One has to find a residency slot based on Step 1 and Step 2 performance.

So far, daughter has not gotten any interview calls but congrats to those who did, you should be very proud!

Also, who got the BU portal info. Daughter applied before deadline and still has not gotten portal information.

Applied on the 15th, got an email with the portal info.

[quote=“BSMDMOM2021, post:2002, topic:2096007”]

Applied to BU on 11/12 and got the portal access email in 3 days.