Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

[quote=“rk1235rk, post:2003, topic:2096007”]

Call/email them if you didn’t get portal access email within 2-3 days of applying.

@doctorpenguin , same here. Even my daughter got that within 3 days. I think you should call them and check.

Thanks all, told daughter to check her email and spam folders. She found it sent on November 13 in spam folder.

@doctorpenguin , Good for you!

Quick Question. Does anyone know if NJIT does batches for the first of two interviews. If you are rejected pre interview-do they let you know. Portal does not seem to offer information. Thanks again

@Sooar78

1. Your stats not competitive for BS/MD. So applied only to 3 BS/MD is the right thing and hope you have applied to UG schools of your choice. Still if you are interested in medical career when pursuing US UG it is a good thing and doable by all means and that is how 95% of students matriculate in to MD in US.
  2. Jumping to Caribbean or India is not a good choice when not tried thru the channel where 95% of students matriculate in US.
  3. Do extensive due diligence before you pursue India option. It is a false assumption that do MBBS in 5.5 years and you can get residency right away. Here are 2 factual example to illustrate different aspects.

A. This student from one of the top CA HS and academically good but still decided to pursue MBBS in India. Of course have to write a single check before entering in that college $200k (back in 2013). Student found a partner in that college and that partner parents have established practice in East coast and have lot of contacts in US medical field. Both are citizens and did many months internship in US after their 5.5 years. Still they took so much time to prep for USMLE and finished and applying for residency only this cycle. Basically it is 8 years since graduated from HS. That is the point.

B. True, FMG do get residency. But they are outliers and outstanding. Low % and mostly in primary care related and in rural hospitals. Heard about a FMG student who got residency in Duke, NYU and BU. But he did work in India for many years and also did 3+ years of research in Duke and his research involved interaction with NYU and BU researchers also and they all know the capability and the outstanding credentials. No wonder he got the well deserved residency though FMG.

I am new to this forum and there is ton of information on BS/MD program. So my D applied to few Universities that offer BS/MD program and my D’s stats are: SAT is 1560, GPA is 4.0 and UW GPA is 5.65. Does my D have good chance of getting into BS/MD program? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Stats will get one into consideration. What make or break is quality of essays and ECs your D has done so far.

To add to the above regarding FMG experience that I know of. He had a brilliant track record throughout right from childhood back in India, had top scores in USMLE, something like top 1% ile or so, did not have any contacts in medical field here. Had been to this country couple of times back and forth and kept trying and finally landed a pediatric residency at Michigan State. Followed it up with a fellowship in pediatric cardiology and is well settled now. Bottom line, in his case he was outright brilliant and had the perseverance to keep trying despite initial struggle and frustrations.

On the other hand his future spouse wasn’t that outstanding but had a relative smooth sailing, perhaps due to his settling down, guidance and contacts.

My D’s essay’s really good and EC’s also good. Thank you for the response, really appreciate.

@2021BSMD

Good for her and you. But just to keep in perspective, another factor is competition from the respective high school. How popular are these programs are in her school and how many top students apply for them.

I know a student with 1600 SAT, 4.0 GPA from a very well regarded high school, not a valedictorian but right up there and tonnes of ECs. Unfortunately could not land up even in one program even though multiple interviews went very well and got the favorable indications/feelers from the interviewers, such as comments like how impressed they were with the background etc.

So just to avoid getting ahead of oneself.

Even with great stats and ECs, please be aware BS/MD admissions are hyper-competitive and ensure you have a plan B ready in case things do not work out in the BS/MD realm.

Since we’re on the topic of IMG/FMGs, what’s y’all’s opinion on the Atlantic Bridge Program in Ireland? I checked the match list and a lot of their graduates go on to really good residency programs in America (UPenn, Duke, etc)

1 Like

As a high schooler, one can qualify for a 6-year medical program in Ireland.
I think 4 out of 6 medical schools in Ireland offer that program (not fully sure about this).

The key would be which of these Irish colleges has tie-ups with US universities/ teaching hospitals for rotations. US rotations increases familiarity of program directors with students and help in residency interviews / matches. This is something a few Caribbean universities have successfully done.

However, you run into the same issue with residency matches.
Most program directors prefer US university graduates - MDs and DOs over International graduates. And in international graduates, they prefer US citizens over Canadian citizens over rest of the world citizens.

I would say, if you plan to practice in US, try getting in US medical universities.

With these stats, just wait and your child should get a few interviews. All you need is ONE BSMD acceptance. Regular route MD and/or MD/PhD may be another option for your child.

IMO, You should first consider a US medical school via regular route MD.

Your D’s stats are competitive and she may get a few interviews, IMO. But no one really predict as BSMD admission process is very unpredictable.

Please call NJIT’s Honors college and find out the status of your application.

The private medical colleges in India should consider expanding by opening medical schools in USA. There will be a great demand here and there are folks with the ability to pay $60k/year.

@grtd2010 I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not. There are limited residency spots, especially in major cities or at reputed academic medical centers.

US medical schools (no matter the rank) meet certain standards, which is why most of their graduates get a residency. The cost is another story.