Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@TensedMom i got the tcnj secondary about a week or two after i submitted my undergrad app

I am not sure that we selected “Need Based” or not, I will confirm. As per 2019 tax return, CSS and FAFSA, we are not eligible for need based. Thanks

@TensedMom , We have received UG acceptance letter and email from UPitt but no word on BS/MD.
Here is my S status:
Penn State- Received an interview letter from SMKC’s PMM program. Interview Mid Jan
CW: Got request for some additional Docs
Drexel: No word yet
UPitt: UG Acceptance letter but no news on BS/MD
RPI- Nothing yet
BU: Nothing yet

Pitt will send supplemental application mid- December to shortlisted candidates.

TCNJ will start conducting its interviews generally from mid- December; your application gets forward to NJMS after that; NJMS interviews from Jan to March

NJIT interviews start from next week; your application gets forward to NJMS after that; NJMS interviews from Jan to March

VCU - application reviews happen in Jan; Interviews in Feb- March

W2 is asked as part of CSS

@NoviceDad , Thanks and greatly appreciated your helpful words.

@Vicky2019 : The CommonApp has no prompts for additional essays even though instruction says so. One can choose any or all 3 honors programs and bs/md options in CommnApp. However supplemental essays will have to be done after commonApp is submitted and got access to SBU portal. I think @ttb1263 already did so. I can also confirm it once we do the SBU CommonApp next week.

@GoldenRock , Thank you!

Thank you @NoviceDad

@RG1972 Here is my D’s status:
Penn State → nothing so far. :neutral:
Drexel → Nothing so far.
UPitt → UG Acceptance, nothing BS/MD
NJIT → UG Acceptance, NJIT pre-interview.
VCU–> UG Acceptance.

@TensedMom , it’s the same situation with everyone, nothing to worry.

@TensedMom , Thanks for the update. Don’t worry… We will go through this.

Congratulations.

Folks

It is important to stay calm.

The application cycle has just started - its November and we have to pull through till May.

While it is natural to get anxious, remember the long road ahead.
Staying calm and on-course is very important.

Also, remember that BS/MD is your first shot at medical school.

@9the0girl7 -

Any student who is interested in BA or BS/MD find all/any such program appealing! Temple and Florida offer these BS/MD programs so by inference, is appealing to some students opting for BS/BA MD!

Students usually need to select 10-12 bs/md programs with the hope they can get into one program since competition is fierce. When my S applied, he mostly was interested in programs in the North-eastern states since these are closer to us.

I am providing more details on Temple and Florida programs as requested -

The 2 below temple programs are early assurance programs. Out of the two, Temple/Temple is considered a better option. Also, is probably cheaper since both UG and med school are public universities

https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/how-apply/special-admissions-program

1. Temple/Temple LKSOM (@grtd2010 will be able to tell more)

Temple University’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104. Its in-state tuition and fees are $19,748; out-of-state tuition and fees are $34,126. The 2019 U.S. News & World Report report of best medical schools lists the school as tied for 57th best in the U.S. for research and tied for 69th for primary care.
• A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.6
• A cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.6
• MCAT minimum composite score of 509 with no section less than 126

1. W&J/Temple LKSOM

W&J is not associated with Temple University.

Washington and Jefferson College’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Liberal Arts Colleges, #92. Its tuition and fees are $49,338. The minimum undergraduate science GPA (biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics) and overall GPA at W&J must be 3.5 averaged over the first 3 years with no grade less than “B-”. Students must also complete 50 hours of medically-related shadowing and/or experiences, 50 hours of community service activities, and demonstrate commitment to serving others through extracurricular activities. The minimum GPA for the fourth undergraduate academic year at W&J must be at least 3.0 with no grade less than “B-.”

The minimum acceptable MCAT score (taken by May of the junior year) requires scoring 509 overall with no individual section score lower than 126. The candidate must apply to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine during the summer preceding the senior year at W&J using the Early Assurance Program Option of the American Association of Medical Colleges Application Service (AMCAS).

1. Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine/Florida A&M University

Florida Atlantic University’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #281. Its in-state tuition and fees are $6,039; out-of-state tuition and fees are $21,595. Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) is ranked No. 94-122 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 94-122 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

• Minimum FAU GPA of 3.7 and MCAT of 510 required

https://www.fau.edu/honors/future-students/medical-scholar-program/

1. UCF Burnett Medical Scholars

Students must apply to UCF and submit their complete University Honors application* and Burnett Medical Scholars Request for Consideration Form** by November 15, 2020

-minimum score of 514 with no sub-score lower than 126.

The requirements seem pretty extensive as can be seen in LINK -
https://honors.ucf.edu/admissions/burnett-medical-scholars/program-requirements/

Others in the forum can provide more details…

If you are a rural area candidate as @9the0girl7 may be, this may not appeal to you. It is located in an urban metropolitan area in north-east (Philadelphia, PA). LKSOM’s medical school building is quite new and equipped with all kinds of facilities and/or research labs. Temple university is a major research center. One can do medical ECs and research at UPenn/UPenn Hospitals or Temple Univ hospital/LKSOM or SKMC/Thomas Jefferson Univ. All these are located very close to each other and are connected by subway. SKMC is the medical school for PSU/SKMC BSMD.

Most BSMD students may get a full-tuition scholarship by virtue of their stats (Presidential Scholarship). The BSMD intake is relatively small( probably max 8).

Philadelphia is located nearly 2hrs from NYC, NJ, CT and connected by trains.

Agree with @NoviceDad, this BSMD journey is long and we need to have patience, stay on-track and be focused. Keep motivating and supporting kids as there are still essays to write, interviews to prepare for and give and other things to take care of.

This journey is going to get rough as you will learn about other’s success and your own failures on the way. But keep the faith. All you need is ONE acceptance in the end. This BSMD process is a crapshoot for sure.

Drexel Univ and Drexel medical school are also located close by in Philadelphia.

@grtd2010 @Vicky2019 Sorry for the confusion.

I’m not really concerned about the urban area (although I prefer suburban/rural). I was more concerned with how FAU and UCF and the likes have pretty high requirements. If you attain like a 512 on the MCAT and a 3.8, couldn’t you do well in the normal route?

Also with Temple, isn’t it more of a hybrid BS/MD and EAP?