Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Thanks for your concerns.

RE: Drexel
Here is an FAQ document that Drexel had published at the time of Hahnemann Bankruptcy. Answer many questions we have:

https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2019/July/How-Hahnemann-Closing-Impacts-Drexel/

@rk1235rk

Drexel: Dreexel generally offers acceptances to 50-60 kids and about 30-35 join.

NU and BU both require Chem subject test.
If you are ok with NOT applying to them, then you are good with Subject tests in Math and Bio.

Drexel

@Sps3273 had also shared a link in last year’s thread:
https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2019/December/FAQ-An-Update-on-the-St-Christophers-Hospital-Acquisition/

There are important and in most cases required.
If a college says it is required, please ensure you submit those scores.

For colleges that make it optional (which means some students will submit), try your best to give the subject tests and submit those.

I sent an email to BU and this is what they responded.

"Thank you for contacting Boston University Undergraduate Admissions.

Boston University’s Accelerated Medical Program has gone test optional for students applying to the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semester. While students are welcome to submit SAT scores if they have them, they are not a requirement for consideration."

NU still requires Chem though. I am still preparing for Chem but incase I dont score well then I wont apply to NU.

Hi Experts,
Sorry for asking details about various programs… any details on UConn BS MD (apart from what is mentioned on their website). It says - “There are no state residency requirements, although Connecticut residents will receive special consideration. UConn is committed to attracting members of underrepresented populations for its programs”.
Any idea how many slots are there in this program? Out of those slots, how many roughly we can assume is allocated to instate and non ORMs (based on above statement that is mentioned on their website).
Since we are ORM and not a resident of Conn, is it safe to say that this program is not worth applying to?

Anyone have a list of BS/MD programs that have gone test optional vs those that have not for the fall? I know certain undergrad schools (like Rice) have gone test optional, but not sure about their BS/MD programs.

Also, some programs are test optional so if ACT is offered in July and August will not submitting a score hurt my application for these test optional programs?

@savannahreid - This question has been asked multiple times in this thread and answered in the following posts - #246, #252, #255, #257, #287, #289, #293, #294, #296, #299, #308

Please read these!

@savannahreid

1. First of all, decide on your BSMD strategy (see post#289); • Also consider how far from your home state you want to consider.
  2. Secondly come up with your college list (see #289). You might find the below useful. https://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/ba_md_programs.html
  3. Then, for each college – research to find out all the requirements for application • This should provide you with a list of BSMD programs that are test optional
  4. Some students have reached out to specific college’s admission office for this information

FYI, In this thread others have mentioned that BU and Case Western BSMD programs have gone test optional for 2021 cycle.

@rk1235rk - one line answer is - You should apply based on multiple factors and not just because of just 2 reasons - “you are an ORM or non-resident”.

A few non resident ORMs (1-2) from previous cycles have mentioned getting admitted. You can take a look at BSMD results 2020/2019/2018

BSMD are very selective programs. Ideally students create a college list of 30+ colleges (including BSMD & UG) and start eliminating based on multiple criteria to come up with 18-20 as their list.

Another anecdotal thread “Leaving my BS/MD program” on another site.

Does anyone know if Brown PLME is test optional now? I saw that the undergrad is test optional but idk if PLME is.

@Konohakatu - Brown seems to be test optional for class of 2025 onwards.

see below link for details-
https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/plme/information-prospective-students/admission

U Conn BSMD is a rural oriented program and takes a few OOS candidates. So you can make it a low priority in your list.

IMO, First decide what is your goal with bsmd programs. If it is nice to have a bird-at-hand option but willing to go for traditional route, select at least 8-10 bsmd ( not all selective) programs.
If you must have a bsmd admission, apply to 16-20 bsmd programs. Some of the bsmd programs are also good candidates for UG as a pre-med.

@Vicky2019 thanks for the link. From what I’ve read from other college websites it sounds like there is no disadvantage because they explicitly say that an applicant who doesn’t submit subject test (or SAT/ACT) will not be at a disadvantage if they don’t submit them, but @NoviceDad said

“Any school which is test OPTIONAL - you will be at a disadvantage if you do not submit scores. The assumption will be you had bad scores which is why you are not submitting such scores.”

So which is correct?

@Konohakatu - @NoviceDad has lot of experience/understanding of BSMD applications and I would recommend paying attention to his advice. Also, BSMD admission for ORM students is cut throat and every thing helps!

There are many posters on “test optional”. See my post #313 for details.

In case people still are wondering, i am providing further clarification -

Students who struggle with standardized testing or who have low ACT/SAT I or II scores would benefit most from test-optional policies, provided their academic and extracurriculars are amazing!

In turn, Colleges will benefit by test optional policies since by removing minimum bar, they are opening up to accept more student applications. This makes them even more selective since more students are applying yet the # of available seats remain the same!

For students with lower GPA and lacking extracurricular achievements, SAT or ACT or SAT II subject test scores may provide one last chance to make their application competitive.

Students who have perfect test scores (SAT:1600, ACT:36 or SAT II subject tests: 800 each) will never have any problem submitting these scores since this highlights their knowledge and testing skills.

It is not the question of being which is correct. If one has near perfect score, he/she will certainly submit those score and it may give them some leverage since it show cases certain attributes desirable in applicants. With test optional, the number of applicants will increase and the competition will be even tougher among all applicants.