Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

DD’s plan B is EAP at Georgetown after sophomore year. She got acceptance to neurobiology at GW. Just a plan still.

1,800 characters

So damn annoyed with Hofstra right now. We had tried to move kid’s Casper back but was told by AO that he needed to have it all turned in by a set date which meant he had to test in Dec.

Got an email today saying last testing day is Jan 17 (the one we wanted to change it to).

Grrrr. I swear this whole admission cycle is a disaster. Just annoyed with the information confusion.

My DC hasn’t really applied to non-BSMD. So one of the BSMD UGs and then MD? She did get into California Northstate for BSMD and is trying to find out more about that as well.

It’s 250, they mentioned in that box somewhere as 1000 characters.

My D wants to do only medicine. We tried to ask her many times to select another backup but she thinks if bs/md is not an option, she wants to try regular route. In the worst scenario even that doesn’t work out she is also very interested in public health and health administration.

University of North Texas

Thank you, yes wondering as did not get a call from TCNJ being instate (1580 SAT, perfect GPA, good EC’s and essays I think) but very glad to be a finalist at other places, did not apply to Drexel, apply to about 7 of the BSMD, REMS, BU and GW and the results for those comes in Jan so will see and applying some UG and Brown PLME, So good so far. Good luck to you for upcoming interviews.

Rec’d AMC supplement through the Siena program.

Congrats!

Yes , it is 1800 characters and optional Covid essay.

Probably there won’t be any news till January

Is California Northstate new SOM, 2-3 years old? correct.

Yup, Only bsmd in CA. I heard someone mention their rotations will become a challenge now that Kaiser has its own medical college.

there are two things people don’t seem to like about that school:
One of very few (or only?) Private for-profit medical school that is not eligible for federal loans
Low quality high cost BS education with no college atmosphere prior to MD

My son wants to go to a good UG school where he can get decent research opportunities and healthcare related ECs in addition to a good education. Are some of the second tier UG feeder schools worth it? Will the student survive the MD school rigor after attending these schools?

Another factor can be how many top students from your HS applied to the program(s). Generally the number of interview invites and eventual selections are capped per high school. Good luck with everything!

That seems a non-starter for majority people, unless desperate as no other options left besides Caribbean.

We found this to be true. Especially for prestigious programs with low seats, they take just one or two kids from a given high school or even a given region. E.g. UAB EMAP will likely only invite a couple of kids from all of Northern California for the interview, so no matter how good the kids are, it is almost like a lottery.

I recommended my kid to only to apply to schools she will surely attend if offered admission, and I also encouraged her to apply to all such schools (if possible) instead of trying to narrow that list down further.

I received an email from AMC this morning about the supplement. I applied for the program through Siena

I believe NJMS does not select you for a particular UG, so if you get forwarded to NJMS through any of their feeder UGs (there are quite a few I think) and make it, you can go TCNJ-NJMS, assuming you are admitted to TCNJ. So don’t lose hope, just hang in there!