Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Similar question about Environmental Science and forestry College for research h opportunities and college environment. Hope the NY folks here would take time to share their opinions.

Wait, does UCSF have a BSMD program??

No, ofc not, UCSF graduate is also CA MD just like CNU graduate. :slightly_smiling_face:
So when it comes to CA residency positions, I suspect CNU graduates can stand against UCSF.
If money can buy everything for them Caribbean is always open.
We don’t need for-profit medical schools, they are only in business of selling seats to ofc, who can afford UG as well as SOM full price upfront in order for them to make profit. Because of that model, smart kids (irrespective of wealth status) avoids those colleges and only less smart with wealth ended up attending those type of schools who otherwise won’t have better options.

ACPHS has a lot of off campus opportunities because it is near AMC, RPI, and in general the city of Albany. There are lots of things to do there. Also ACPHS has many research opportunities in itself as research is a big aspect of their curriculum. I can’t speak to the clubs as I am not sure it has a lot of student life. There are limited number of sports and greek life. But research opportunities is abundant and with nearby hospitals I don’t doubt that there are many chances for shadowing.

I just got an email informing me that I got an interview for W&J/Temple

1 Like

Actually SUNY ESF is one of the best ones. They have lots of study abroad, research, and even campus life opportunities. Since it is in Syracuse, it is also on the “university hill” next to Syracuse University and Upstate Medical School. Syracuse is also a relatively big city and one can find many opportunities there. ESF itself has campus life and research. Never been there but heard it is good and the kids there are actively involved as most students major in environmental science.

We just received scholarship info from UAlbany
 does not mean much considering I don’t think we were forwarded from there :frowning:

Congratulations!! What kind of scholarships they have? Did you receive through USPS mail?

I think you’ll come to know about forwarding in January.

Don’t want to sound harsh, only those with desperation will take CNU BSMD. I think we discussed this when your first D applied. It has no proper structure for UG and their match list is OK. My friend’s kid who studied in India got matched in CA this year, so you don’t need to go to CA medical school for that. Also, I am not sure why matching in CA should be higher priority than getting good medical education. Lot of my CA friends kids matched outside of CA and they are not complaining.

2 Likes

CNU is the only for-profit med school in the country. Not a good idea to go there, especially for BSMD caliber students who can easily go the traditional route and get into T20 med schools.

1 Like

Really appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much !!

My s just got reject from Saint Bonaventure.

Thanks! We received through email. We received Empire Scholarship (since we are OOS) for 12,500 per year and additional Engaged Community Award for for 2,500 per year.

Yes maybe. I thought we might get some notification from them beforehand but I guess not.

We got the official rejection email from Adelphi. We knew that already through Upstate inquiry. Adelphi was NOT one of the schools Upstate received recommendation.

The following wording (from Adelphi) looks like everyone who are forwarded to Upstate will be interviewed with no further filtration. We heard similar comments from some students with experiencing it. Is that true? May be I am overreading it :smile:

Although you had been deemed eligible for this program, unfortunately you were not selected for an interview with SUNY Upstate Medical College.

Sorry to hear that. Was this through portal or email?

It is possible? In the past, in our experience with Purchase, whoever is interviewed is accepted. But am not sure about forwarding and interviews. Sorry to hear that though. Were you forwarded through another school?

congrats!

My daughter said she was forwarded to Upstate with a note that she could ‘possibly’ be invited for an interview.

It doesn’t sound like interview is guaranteed, though for sure, we hope for it.