Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Same strategy is with REMS

more than 1000 applicants and they select 10

Rest 990 how many they can expect to join undergrad

True but speaking for myself, I wouldn’t have heard or considered Case for my DC if it hasn’t been for their BSMD program. Maybe they get more folks joining for regular admission than they would because of BSMD. May not apply to all BSMD because some of those schools are well known and some are those where students won’t join without bsmd offer. But might be the case for Case - pun intended :wink:

1 Like

That is what I have been keep saying for current BS/MD programs, unless they offer MD seat those kids won’t even consider their UG. By doing that underrated UGs attract top talent (Brown UG is only exception being an Ivy but their med school is not Ivy caliber).

Northwestern and Wash U don’t need to give that carrot as their UGs are very fine institutions and attracting top talent for a while. Their UGs track record speaks for itself (I posted WashU UGs to med schools stats earlier).
Diversity is certainly a prime factor, if not the factor. This is very unpopular opinion, which kids have an access to all medical related ECs in high school? undoubtedly the kids who had that kind of resources or a school district can provide those resources or parents who has connections in medical field. So in that context it is not level playing field among highs schoolers and always benefited ORMs (I am an ORM too for record).

@PPofEngrDr - Are you a student or a parent? And are you applying to BSMD this season? I just got active here, apologies if you already shared this.

@Mom22DDs I am a parent and my kids are not applying this season. Also if you follow the experience thread BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences - #426 you will learn all about my kids as well. Very transparent.

No idea but if they are already done for Bonaventure, then either it is a very small number, or this forum is primarily full of SUNY and NJMS applicants, cos only two in this forum shared they got invited to next steps to Bonaventure.

Oh ok. I found some of the discussions interesting, to say the least.

Looks like there are a bunch of prior year parents here trying to give guidance to applicants. Would be nice if you could all keep it focused on helping the students vs hashing out your individual differences about BU or traditional route or whatever it is that you all seem to have been disagreeing over the years. Would appreciate the consideration to our kids @PPofEngrDr @srk2017 @rk2017 (are you a prior year parent too?) and any others that are bringing over your differences from prior years.

It is getting distracting and I hope you can help us stay focused during this stressful time.

I was uncomfortable speaking out but I am even more uncomfortable seeing this go on and on. Hence speaking up. No offense intended, and a genuine request that I am sure some others here likely will relate to as well.

6 Likes

I think it is an inaccurate judgement as personally never involved with BU, hence no individual differences with anyone. Some parents before my cycle, some after my cycle and some from same cycle are active here.
I debunked misleading information and blind cheer leading for any program. I apologized if it distracts some of us at the same time believe helps some as well. As long as propaganda is not spread, this thread is a smooth sail. That’s all.

2 Likes

I have issues with transparency of BU REMS and Case PPSAP programs as they take more than thousand applications and let candidates wait till end of the cycle to decide

Why they cannot filter BS MD applications and send supplemental applications to less number like HPME and Pitt does ?

The reasons are obvious 

Again what’s the need for these schools to start programs? HPME was cancelled when they realized majority of the applicants are upper middle class ORMs.

1 Like

Agree, only application stuff should be discussed here till March and that’s why I created separate threads but propagandist finds fault with that and keep posting nonsense and forcing us to respond.

Did you find your invitation @bsmdapplicant123?

Folks

As a parent who has followed this forum for the past 2 years and currently passively following it but maybe active next year, the forum is enriched by diverse viewpoints.

It seems the process this year is probably having more wrinkles than in previous years.
All BS/MD programs can do a better job at communications. And also be honest about the stats of students applying vs seats available and whether there is a waitlist or not.

Parents/students who begin to question themselves at a rejection - please hang in there. Every program has its crazy criteria. I know of a case this year where a student got into one of the HYPSM programs but PennState, TCNJ, and Pitt in their wisdom did not offer interviews/supplementals to this kid. So, this is no reflection on who you are as a student if you receive a rejection.

BSMD vs Traditional: Please decide after all offers you have in hand in the April time-frame.

The focus right now should on completing balance applications and interviews.

1 Like

FAU medical school is a relatively newer and smaller school.
Size is 60-65 students. And 12 of these come through the BS/MD route.

I do not think they position themselves as a community medicine focused school. One-third of their students match to primary care residencies which is lower than the national average.

Hope this helps.

@srk2017

HPME:
In light with NU’s need-based aid, a significant chunk of HPME students are work-study or low income students.

Based on the information they shared with the alumni, diversity was a key reason for scrapping the program. Insider rumors are that they also want to scrap NUPSP based on the same grounds.

There is no plans shared on how they plan to increase diversity.
They do not even achieve their diversity goals through the traditional route.

It seems the decision was taken in haste.

Augusta is only In-state

I agree HPME could have easily implemented diversity in traditional seat selection to meet the goals.

There were options for them to reduce the intake to 10 to 12 BSMD per year.

D received Upstate supplement on Monday and she even accessed it yesterday. Today, when she logged in to submit, she did not find any application and in the drop down, she can only see “No online applications currently available for BSMD”. Did this happen to anyone? or any suggestions how we should approach. Can’t reach them since it is a holiday. Getting worried.

My s thinks upstate Suny interview is in person interview. Can anyone please confirm?

Between NYIT and Lecom BS/DO options, which one is better?