Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@rk1235rk, @RG1972, others - Last year, interviews at SKMC was a full day affair and on-site. First there were some speeches by professors (undergrad and med school) and by Students of the PMM program.

After that they had interviews by the med school/PMM student (or perhaps it was UG professors) followed by interviews with the med school professor. This is very similar to his interviews with other BS/MD programs (BU, RPI etc.)

I assume they can do all the above via zoom as well virtually .

The only thing that is different is - my S spent the night before with med school students in their dorm. The whole day session also provided a lot of 1:1 interactions with the med school/PMM students.

I would recommend that students participate in small zoom sessions which provide interaction in addition to the interviews!!

I agree. Students should take time to dress up and look crisp!

Did anyone receive anything from UAlbany regarding the program? Maybe they already sent theirs as well.

@emma90 - The number of students in BU SMED class are around 20-25. They usually call 3 times the number of students for interviews. So, maybe 70-75. Ofcourse this may change every year a bitā€¦

@rk2017 maybe able to give a better pictureā€¦

1 Like

@doctorpenguin, itā€™s confusing with UAlbany. My D called them yesterday and they said they are starting to let students know if they are moving forward with your BSMD application in a week or two. They said scholarship information will also be sent sometime in Feb or so. Itā€™s weird as few students already received scholarship.

Yes @Vicky2019, that is correct. As per the figures reported by a student from couple of years ago (2018 cycle), 2000+ applicants, 81 called in for interview, 38 offered acceptances, 31 enrolled. No subsequent updates shared here after that cycle. But yes, irrespective of the number of applicants going up or down, the ratio of interviews to slots in the program seem to be around 3.5 : 1, with the expectation half of those accepted will enroll.

1 Like

Yes. I am interested in it as well. Any seniors in the group have an idea.

We got rejection email for BSMD UAlbany before the new year.

@Vicky2019 Thanks a lot for your insight and he information. Thanks.

1 Like

Also interested. The email said we would hear anytime from early Jan to mid-late Feb, and NJIT does say that no news is good news. They should come in the coming weeks hopefully

Sorry to hear that but we received any information after undergrad acceptance.

Yes we already received scholarship. That is confusing. I would assume that they already forwarded it to Upstate as all of the other feeders have. I guess we havenā€™t gotten a rejection though yet so that is always good news.

Also when we emailed Upstate to ask what feeders D was sent from, they said U Albany had already been sent to them but we never received any rejection or news from them so

1 Like

Did anyone hear from BU yet?

Has anybody gotten an interview from UAB EMSAP? They said they would send invites this week.

i havenā€™t yet =(

same. I donā€™t know if it means I didnā€™t get the invite or they havenā€™t sent it out yet lol.

yea

hoping for the best for all of us, but I also saw on their class list for the last couple of years that around half the students in the program were instate so not expecting too much

I couldnā€™t find any admission stats about BUā€™s program