Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

has anyone else heard back from NJMS? last i heard, NJIT had forwarded my app to them but nothing other than that

Same situation here. NJMS has rolling interviews though. According to the NJIT website,
“Our observations suggest that NJMS does not evaluate or interview applicants in any particular order”

and

“During this phase, no news is considered good news, so if you haven’t received notification from us to the contrary, you are still being considered. We keep a laser focus on all of the applicants that we referred to NJMS and we routinely advocate on their behalf.”

2 Likes

Did anyone receive an Upstate interview through RIT?

@rk2017 Any advice on BU interviews?

ALERT!

SAT Subject Tests have been discontinued in the United States, and will be discontinued internationally after June 2021.
Learn more.

2 Likes

Wow
 also discontinuing essay section of SAT.

1 Like

Wow
 No Subject tests and No SAT with essays
 interesting. So, in future school grades going to make big difference.

My guess is that importance of AP scores will rise.

5 Likes

Well, most of those getting BU interviews must be knowing it is a two part interview, first with a faculty member from CAS (college of Arts and Sciences) where you will be spending the undergrad years and the second with a BUSM faculty member. The CAS faculty interview is usually the first one and they can be from any of the disciplines, Physics, Mathematics, Anthropology, Psychology, History, Sociology, Philosophy or Classics. I think their intent is more to check the candidate for the personality traits like enthusiasm, ability to communicate, rigor in what you study, fit to the college, possible enrichment to the college by having you in the student body there etc.

If it is from one of the science disciplines expect some in depth conversations on what you have learned in school in their subject. It is perfectly ok to say if you don’t know or remember something but tell them what you think based on your imagination or best guess or even that you don’t know. If it is from the liberal arts side of the faculty, 60% of the time you may have an interviewer with not much common ground to discuss in their specific discipline, but the other 40% like history, psychology, economics, literature etc. that you may have already studied in high school. If latter, the approach may be somewhat similar to the science faculty, especially if you have done APs in those subjects. So doesn’t hurt to brush up some of these common subjects. lf you get a faculty member from the other disciplines like anthropology, sociology or philosophy they may ask you if you have a favorite discipline within liberal arts/humanities and if so you can use it to your strength and convey your passion for the field. If you happen to know something about their field out of the scope of your regular high school studies, like for example some sociological factors or reports you had come across during your volunteering, share it with them and try to make a connection. Make sure you ask them questions about their fields and how it relates to medicine, show curiosity to learning about their field as well as wide range of subjects because that’s what you are expected to during undergrad and deciding a minor in liberal arts. Generally the CAS interviews last around 30 minutes and the medical faculty ones can be either same or go longer like 45 - 60 mins.

Then the interview with the med school faculty will be on expected lines. They may probe more on your interest for medicine (whether it is really coming from you and what is the motive), any details about ECs, research, your opinions on what you think can be done differently or better in the field of medicine based on your observations etc.

For both the interview avoid responding quickly to the questions or topics you are most comfortable and slowing down for others. Try to modulate your speed and definitely take time to think over. It is okay to look away while thinking and collecting your thoughts, no need to maintain eye contact all the while.
Do you know whether you will be doing the in person interviews or virtually? Feel in person ones are always better.

You may want to search last couple of years threads where senior members have posted some suggestions. Try searching with catch words or phrases like interview, tips, suggestion, particular program by name and see if it helps. They have changed the whole user interface recently and so not sure how complete and useful the search results will be. Good luck!

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you for the advice. My interviews will be virtual this year

Sorry, I am not aware. I have not followed this thread in a while. I am not aware if anyone else received interview calls. Good luck

i did

We are in exact same situation.

same here.

Any one received an invite from GW/GW or from BU today?

This may be true but as days go by the probability of receiving an interview invite may diminish. Obviously, not all those forwarded by NJIT to NJMS will get an interview invite from NJMS in reality, IMO.
One can always call NJMS medical school admission office to check the status of their BSMD application and have a definitive answer.

This should bring some equity among all applicants from different socio-economic sections of the society and stop unintended use of these tests in various ways. In a way, a welcome step.

Anything in your application is a fair game so please be aware of what is in your application and be prepared to answer any questions related to those matters if asked.

1 Like

Some schools have restrictions on number of APs and also good chuck of students take IB exams. My guess is more and more schools may eliminate BSMD programs.

Many schools are still forwarding students, so I don’t think NJMS will provide information about status of application forwarded from the schools at this time. Doesn’t hurt to try I guess.