Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

It is not a typical year with Covid19 pandemic. Ivies ad coms may have an increased work load due to an increase in applicants. Hopefully, folks will have a real college experience at Ivies next Fall.

I was in a counselor meeting today and we were all discussing the huge uptick in applications. Harvard got another 17k more applications than usual! It has also been mentioned even the BSMDs have seen an increase in applications.

2 Likes

When people ask such questions they are anxious and want to hear from others who are in the same boat. Everyone knows the default answer.

3 Likes

Accepted for UG at Stonybrook, today received an email from them stating Presidential Merit Scholarship award with an annual value of $10,000 for 4 years. Still need to submit essays for Honors College and Scholars for Medicine @Stonybrook.

2 Likes

Did anyone else attend the first round of interviews for the Nova Southeastern BS/DO pathway? The decisions come out tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew around what time I should expect an email. I would also love to hear opinions on the program if anyone has any.

1 Like

Congratulations! Are you in-state?

1 Like

Can’t be in-state as SBU instate tuition is 10K and normally only OOS students are given tuition breaks to bring down the cost. Btw, a quick look back on venkat97 posts reveal you he is from CA :slight_smile:

1 Like

From my discussions with admissions counselors, BS/MD applications are up anywhere from 25% to 40%.

2 Likes

No OOS.

1 Like

D also received scholarship information from Stony brook yesterday. We are yet to submit the honors/medical supplements.

4 Likes

Further proof of craziness in this admissions cycle:

Kiddo did not get an acceptance to Honors program with his original acceptance. Contacted his adcom who told him he did NOT get in to the Honors program. Sent her an email to clarify if decisions were done and finalized. Got another email back saying he definitely did NOT get in the honors college.

Today…an honors college acceptance shows up in his portal. So maybe he is NOT out of the running for Temple’s program.

6 Likes

Congrats! This cycle truly is crazy.

What kind of scholarship Stony Brook is offering? My son just got $4000

May be because we are instate.

My DD got admitted to Temple honors too in the portal, thank you for the tip @mom2boys1999 . However, I do think she is rejected for Temple Medical Scholars program because the portal no longer says she applied to that program. It just says she applied to and is admitted to the BS program. Does your DS portal still show he has applied to the BSMD Program?

1 Like

Did your portal ever say you were applying to the program? I emailed them after I sent in my supplemental for Medical Scholars because I had no update in my portal, and they said nothing for Medical Scholars will come through the portal because its a separate department and application.

Have a peace of mind and stay calm during BSMD process. Your answer is also trivial- Everyone knows the default answer. Why do not you follow up with email or call the BSMD admission office ?.
You may not want to hear the bad news from BSMD admission folks.

@Mom22DDs Check your email for any updates on Temple Health Scholars.

Yep, every question asked here could be asked calling/emailing the respective admission office.

3 Likes

Forum - discussion board where ideas, views could be exchanged and relevant questions could get answered.

2 Likes