Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@Smilescreen , I think usually one math and one science is good enough. I remember only one university requires chemistry subject test. I don’t remember exactly but mostly it’s Boston University.

Check NU HPME as well…

Thanks mygrad2021 and PPofEngrDr. NU HPME took down their requirements and have not updated them yet.
Also my feeling, only very strong kids will be taking Chem during these conditions and the curve could be harsh in Aug.

BU has gone test optional even for SMED. But not sure, if they expect to have Chem subject test.

If you are planning on applying to either or both of the above programs, you might as well take it after preparing well. Many of your competitors would have taken those tests already as early as sophomore year and submitting perfect or near perfect scores in them. (also know kids who took AP Chem in their freshman year and scored 5s).
For other programs it won’t matter.

Common app is LIVE

We stayed up to get on as soon as we could to start confirming essay questions. Essay prompts are printed and looks like my kiddo has a date with his laptop starting tomorrow until November!

(Of course the schools he hoped to be able to knock out right away, like UF, don’t have their applications loaded fully yet. So much for early bird and a worm- UF is still in hiding , HA!)

Since the Common App opened today, I was wondering where BSMD applicants typically input their medical shadowing activities? I have two different shadowing experiences, and I wasn’t sure if I should include them in the “Activities” section or elsewhere. TIA

All EC activities go to “Activities” section on Common App. You will have specific portions to answer related to specific schools you will select to apply on Common App. While answering those questions, you can refer to the medically related ECs. Check websites for the specific bsmd programs you are interested for the details.

As others have pointed out, the competition may send two SAT II scores including Chem, so if one can prepare well, one should consider taking it. Otherwise, just apply and pray your DS or DD gets lucky to be invited for an interview for SMED and HPME. IMO, one should concentrate on other bsmd programs besides these two. These two are over-hyped by a few posters here.

Thank you Novice Dad. She chose Upenn mainly for the research opportunities and access to Penn Medicine. The other reason is the flexibility of both course pathways and future path ways. Penn allows switching to other paths such as Biomedical sciences.

UPenn is a good choice. You mean UPenn Medicine as a hospital for medical related ECs not as an admission to its medical school. There is a no guarantee of being admitted to UPenn’s Medical School for anyone including its own graduates.

UF starts Aug 15th.

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on VCU BS/MD? I tried searching last year thread but could not find any information on anyone being selected/accepted into that program. If anyone has first hand information or any student currently in the program, please post your experience.

Hi Hope everyone is safe !! My son just started the App process and realized that he grossly underestimated the time and focus needed for essays etc :slight_smile:

Q on Penn state app —-

1. Their BSMD website says That students can apply to this program through Common app. They also have this statement ———— ‘Required responses to questions from SKMC at Thomas Jefferson University. These questions are available through Penn State’s online application’
  2. On the Penn state Common app, he selected ‘Accelerated Pre medical/medical’ , but it doesn’t provide any Specific questions regarding SKMC later in the writing section

Not sure if he is Not leveraging the Common app correctly, OR he just have to use Penn state’s own app , or if SKMC questions will be another app/phase …

Thanks for any help
And Good luck on the Apps for all !!

All the questions are in the CommonApp. He may not be selecting the correct filters.

Most BS/MD programs require you to apply to the college, then separately to the BS/MD program. For the college application portion of it, I noticed that there are lots of optional essays and recommendations. Should my son provide or not provide these optional essays? If he skips them, he can focus more on the BS/MD essays / recommendations? any input would be helpful… thanks.

@xbmw2002

Congratulations. Your perspective is a good example for others. You don’t have to do everything for the sake of checkbox. Be unique and really do what you like. In your case UofR and your passion is Music and music is the soul for humanity & medicine.

Experts this our tier 1 list

PLME
hpme
Rice Baylor
BU
WASHU

Any top programs we are missing as D/S not willing to apply other than top tier

One of the site college vine mention penn Jeff is top 10 program too -Any thoughts ??

For VCU, you’ve to apply for VCU Honors too but you’ve apply for it in their portal. My DD created an account in their portal but do not see any of the application. Can anyone else see it or it’s still not available?

@sam2024

Washu from this year no BS/MD. Ask your son to review CWRU/UofR/Pitt