Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

It’s just an alumni interview, which is based on geographic availability (at least in past years), nothing to do with the strength of your application. It’s more of a formality unless there are red flags during your interview (not ready to go to college away from home, express no interest in Columbia etc.) or don’t show up without a good reason for why.

Wait till you get all of your decisions, then choose based on cost, how much you parents are willing to pay, and where you want to go the most.

Yes, it’s valued hence getting nixed now. We are in cancel culture now, standardized tests or rankings are too stressful and discriminatory.

Just a random question out of curiosity - not that as a parent I fall in this category. What if a parent refuses to pay for their child’s education? Is there a place in FAFSA where you can indicate this and be eligible to get financial aid (even though parents have enough money)? Every time I look at EFC or financial aid documents, it always ask for family income etc. and I was wondering about this scenario.

Yes, your child can file a case against you and seek separation.

https://www.findlaw.com/family/emancipation-of-minors/how-do-you-get-emancipated.html

1 Like

Oh, didn’t know that and missed it then, thank you for the info.

Hi Did any one sign up for NJMS dean session ? If so, did you get the zoom link; we signed up but did not get any info after that ! We signed up for next Thursday

My D did sign up. Today morning she received an email saying that they couldn’t offer her first choice session of 2/11 and offered 2/18, They are going to send that on 2/18 for her. Please check your spam folder.

Hello, I just got an interview for Nova SE BS/DO program as well as for the Presidential Scholarship. For anyone that has already had one, or both, of the interviews, how was it? Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for?

Thank You for the update, we didn’t get any thing yet, will keep checking!

We also did not get any email (nothing in spam either) for Deans session.

who did the email come from ? we registered , but never received any communication.

The email was from Ms. Lisa Houston. I think she is the one who sent interview notification too.

Anyone had their AMC interview yet? It says its MMI format. Can someone share their experience?

Well not sure how to feel about kiddo’s GW interview.

10 questions and they finished in 20 minutes, 5 of that was my son asking the interviewer questions as well. I don’t know- he prepped for it and said he felt confident in his answers but there was no dialoguing- just specifically asked questions and moving on to the next one.

He said he was prepared as many of the questions he and his consultant went over were on there as well as questions he had found online and made notecards for. Maybe he should have talked more? He said he felt he gave complete answers but tried not to ramble.

Oh well. At least his new suit and tie looked nice lol

2 Likes

We have also not received anything for Deans session. I don’t even remember an email for it

good luck. without being too explicit, what kind of questions, anything that you can share?

You never know till you hear back, so I’d recommend assuming it went great.

My DD had a BU interview with a prof that interrupted her constantly and did not let her complete her train of thought for any of the questions. She said she just gave up at some point and became totally jovial cos she figured there’s not much to lose anymore. I told her to assume positive outcome till she hears back, cos whether she is positive or negative, the outcome is likely going to be the same.

1 Like

@mom2boys1999, I would not worry about how short or long the interview was. May be they have a set of questions and format that they go by. The good preparation your S has done will come handy in the next interview. Good luck.

3 Likes

Every family should have a criteria for college selection if you have multiple options to choose from. The criteria should be a mix of objective and subjective factors, including college feel and ability to spend atleast the undergraduate years in that environment. Cost is one factor out of many. The relative weightage of that factor is solely dependent on you and your family.