Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

NOVA interviews are a mix of traditional and group interviews.
Nothing stressful.

Hope for the best. Good luck!

So is it recommended that I do it?

If a child is considered dependent, FAFSA will ask for parent’s income details to calculate EFC.

A parent is well-within their rights not to fund a child’s education. In that case, a child either obtains loans or obtains scholarships from other sources. alternatively, many kids work and study in community college till they earn enough money to self-fund their education, Or in the worst case scenario, forget college.

Most children will be 18 by the time they start college and question of emancipation of minor does not arise.

@srk2017, @mywish4u

The cancel culture for BS/MD started with Northwestern! Cancel BS/MD because we do not have enough diversity!

I believe the program directors will come up with their alternative ways to evaluate and it may further increase the subjectivity quotient in the evaluation process.
Holistic process may come to mean anything they wish to do.

1 Like

I would not read too much into it.
Looks like they had standard questions that they wanted to ask.

I found this link with the same info: Health Careers Program – Faculty Handbook - Montclair State University . Also, I don’t think they can cancel a program after they have had students apply to it. They might cancel it for the next admissions cycle but not ours.

Yes, dont have to pay at top brand name to get into top whatever med school. Also one has to consider the rigor of the undergrad too. People going to easy schools may get top gpa but may struggle in med school and beyond. Rigor should be in right balance, sufficiently challenging the students but not breaking their chances altogether with the gpa. So cost, rigor, competition, opportunities for ECs are some of the major ones and few others like location, quality of student life, weather etc based on individual preferences.

It means they like your application.

That is very good advice!! Who knows, maybe the interviewer interrupted her because they thought she was a strong candidate :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I can’t do the interview, would they not accept me?

Just a general question, is it normal to feel like you didn’t cover some things that you wanted to in your interview? Or that you could have answered a specific question better? I try not to think about it too much but sometimes it just pops into my head

My son received it too, please let us know if you find out anything regarding these interviews.

That’s kind of odd, generally the interviewers there are supposedly courteous, professional and friendly, based on the feedbacks from previous cycles. If it happens at any other interview in future, doesn’t hurt to politely ask them to let you complete your flow of thought and they will get it.

Very normal, happens all the time. Don’t worry about it.

She said he was quite pleasant and had warned her he would interrupt her if he felt her answers were scripted. She thought her style of talking maybe made him feel it was scripted. We’ll know soon how he saw it.

I did my NOVA interview the first weekend. Obviously don’t be rude as there was this girl in my small group who got kicked during info sessions before interviews even began. For the small group interview for the BS/DO, every person gets a chance to answer every question, so if you go last try really hard not to say something that was already said. Out of my group of 5, 2 were offered admission and I noticed we were the two people who had unique answers. For the Presidential Scholarship, the questions focus more on what you will do at the school itself. I was selected for the BS/DO program, but not the scholarship. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Yes, for graduate studies (including MD) parents information is not needed as student is considered independent. However, medical schools expect a fair share of family contribution while determining the financial aid(mainly loans). This option is not available during UG by choice for parents. However, there may be an exceptional situation which should be discussed with college financial aid office. After reaching 18 years of age, there is no requirement for parents to provide support for college education. They can defer their college education plans until sufficient resources are available to them.

IMO, This is what happens during all holistic admission decisions now a days at prestigious institutions.

Students always think they could have done better when they look back because they have so much more context than can be conveyed in the 2-3 mins they get to respond to any question. what is more important is to reflect on whether the interviewer was provided the information or clarification they sought. When you think back with that mindset, you’ll realize often that you gave them more than sufficient information, and the stress will dissolve. I hope it does for you :slight_smile:

1 Like