Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hey Everyone, Quick Question,

If your high school doesn’t provide the class rank to colleges, how do some of the BS/MD program compare you to other students if they have a requirement like top 5-10%?

Thanks in advance!

Is Boston University SMED now test optional? Previously, their website had SAT/ACT requirements on them, but now when I visit their website there is nothing about the SAT/ACT.

Your high school guidance counselor can provide further details or unofficial rank if they are kept.

Ok, It may have changed recently. Call PSU/SKMC support person in the admissions office. Email address is admissions@psu.edu .

@naturelover2020

Per the admissions advisor my son has been in contact with for the past year, even SMED is test optional.

Yeah, still no update on HPME. I tried contacting them via email and phone, but no replies. Anyone has any information or anyone else tried to contact them?

Does anyone have a list of BS/MD programs that have gone test optional? I’m from California and all SAT/ACT have been canceled since march and it is unlikely I will get the opportunity to take it before November. I have emailed quite a few programs asking if they have gone test optional but I haven’t gotten replies from most of them. Thank you :).

^^specifically George Washington University, University of Pittsburg, and Stony Brook

Same for me. I have left a message and my son emailed them (trying different role approaches) and nothing.

Just have to share. FINALLY got his ACT scores back from ACT.

He went from a composite 32 (superscore 33) to a composite 35 (superscore 36). Soooooo proud of him!

Great score. Congrats !

Congratulations!

I recommend listing or submitting only the latest ACT score though. Since for most of these programs they expect test results from a single sitting (meaning no super scoring). Moreover the relatively lower score from the first sitting may (or not?) lower the impressiveness factor. Also not much upside between 35C single sitting vs 36C across multiple.

i’m sorry. i’m late to the discussion and am not sure this has already been discussed. given the many cancellations of ACT/SAT test dates the past several months, how does this impact BSMD applications? will it go the route of ‘test optional’ like many top universities have gone for this upcoming cycle? if not, will the different programs thresholds be adjusted to account for the very limited testing available in many parts of the country?

@OldSchoolMD, most of the BSMD programs have not gone test optional. You will have to check their individual websites, but some of the ones that I have been looking at, still asking to test scores. BU BSMD I think has gone test optional.

I think both PPSP and REMS are test optional.

Even with that, my kid is still studying for and taking his subject tests.

HPME will not be accepting applications this fall. Website is updated. Wonder how many others will follow. Good luck to all.

@mom2boys1999 did he take it on the 25th of july or the 18th?

HPME cancelled. All the others one that I am aware of are already open and accepting applications. I doubt if any of those will cancel now. HPME was one of the top ones and dream for all BSMD students. Feeling bad that they decided to cancel.

@rk1235rk they decided to withdraw the ba/md program? like WASHU?

yes, only for this application cycle. This is what it says on website - “The HPME program will not be taking any applications in 2020.”