Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

We treated BSMD application process as a valuable experience for Traditional path. However we never invested heavily in the process (applied to 6 programs, did limited medical related ECs since S was busy competing nationally in science and robotics).

Yes,it seems that it is bad for younger population due to very active immune system response.

1 Like

No need to apologize. To me CNU is liking going to Kumon for UG and if you don’t care about getting full UG experience and willing to pay money made in silicon valley go far it :slight_smile: As I said multiple times there is on one size that fits all.

I had 102 fever & pain for Moderna second dose. Recovered in 2 days

2 Likes

that makes me concern for upcoming 2nd dose for my mom who is otherwise doing great 2+ weeks since 1st dose.

The second dose may not be that bad for folks 65+, I read. May be a little fever, chills, pain for a few days.

1 Like

same here.

is it a bad sign in if your interview ended up only being 20 minutes? not sure if they just ran out of questions or just didn’t want to ask anymore idk.

Does this change with Step 1 going P/F? Hypothetical example:
If a student gets into FAU, which offers almost full-ride for FL students and high scholarship to OOS students, and also writes off tuition for MD, and also gets into PSU/SKMC, which is ~$500k for BSMD:
assuming the student/parents can afford the costs if it comes to that, should the student consider PSU/SKMC more favorably because of the big difference in ranking/standing/prestige between FAU and SKMC?

Would appreciate your thoughts also on this @WayOutWestMom .

@Mom22dds The difference between SKMC and UPenn medical school may be something to consider besides the cost. But between FAU and PSU/SKMC, take the FAU. One can try for T20 ( like UCSF, UCLA ) via regular route if possible.

@Mom22DDs , “writes off to MD” - what do you mean by this?

My D attended FAU interview but I believe they never said this. They give mostly full ride for UG but did not say anything about MD. Where did you get this information?

The only thing I heard they do give additional 20K or something and you can even use that for MD school or anything else.

Please confirm this ( MD in-state-tuition paid by FAU) and take this opportunity if available, IMO. Military(Army, Navy, Airforce) medical recruiters make similar offers( medical school tuition paid) including nearly 30k/year stipend in return for a few years of service as a medical doctor in military.

My older DD was offered admission to FAU in 2017, and badly wanted to take it up, but had to go with NJIT for personal reasons at that time. Her FAU offer included free instate level tuition for medical school. So they’ll pay upto the instate part of tuition for medical school and she has to pay any OOS portion of it. For UG, I believe she was offered full fee-waiver due to NMF.

Is this same offer available today to NMF at FAU ?

From FAU’s National Merit Scholar webpage:
Students who advance to finalist status and designate FAU as their first choice by the deadline will receive an increased scholarship award, which will cover up to the cost-of-attendance, regardless of residency status.

I don’t know what COA is, but I assume it is tuition and fees at the minimum. Not sure if it includes room, boarding and books.

1 Like

Hi, I had a quick question. Is it normal for the individual interview to be by a medical student? I looked up the name of the individual interviewer and He is a current resident but the group interview is by admissions director

Did anyone else have an interview that was scheduled as a time slot of 40 minutes but ended up being 20 minutes?

traditionally for med school interviews, you are interviewed by a doctor and then a med student, so yes it is normal.