Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

anyone have tips for bsmd essay?

On another thread, you have asked for personal statement/essays.
Even paid consultants are not suppose to write personal statement/essays for you. Do your own work.

FYI about subject tests:

My son is registered for the November test. Both GW and Drexel said they would accept the scores from this date as long as everything else was already complete and submitted on time.

@mom2boys1999, are subject tests mandatory for GW and Drexel? If yes, which ones?

Required for GW, highly encouraged for Drexel and BU.

My son is taking Math II and Chemistry. If it happens, with the way testing gets canceled, who knows?!!

How do I send my ACT scores out to colleges with the new updated system? Each time I try to add the ACT score I want to send to my cart it says that no items are in my cart. It is very frustrating.

@speedyliv, it might be some issue with your account. ACT recently updated accounts and some people had reported problems. I sent scores to few college last week and I did not get the problem you are describing. May be call their help number.

@speedyliv. do you see the scores under Dashboard, if not, you have to call them. We had the same issue.

@Smilescreen Yes, I see my scores under Dashboard but when I select “send scores out” and list a college, it does not appear in my cart.

With the SAT, you could easily choose which score(s) to send or to send all. Some schools will want all scores. They do that mostly for superscoring.
With the ACT, each score is a report on its own and therefore cost you. For superscoring of the ACT, unless they want ALL scores, choose wisely which score reports to send to maximize the benefit. We got about half of ths school list when my kids took these tests and we sent free score reports to the safeties. Now, who even knows what qualifies as “safeties” anymore.

After you submit the Commonapp, you’ll be able to access the B2B application under the GoBaylor account.

I remember there was a separate discussion forum for students who are currently in a BS/MD program. I believe it might have been, “BS/MD Experience”? But I am not able to find. Can someone please share the link if you are familiar with this forum? Thanks!

@ParentCA

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1989563-bsmd-applicants-college-experience-report.html#latest

Is the BU BSMD test-optional? I can’t find anything on the website. Which BSMDs are now test-optional?

@GoldenRock Thanks!

I think GW has gone test optional. They just sent out an email with link to the testing page, with this wording:

“ If you choose not to submit test scores, you will not be viewed negatively. Test scores are not required for consideration in special programs, such as the University Honors Program or Women’s Leadership Program, or for merit scholarships.”

And above that paragraph, it states:
“ Anyone applying to enroll at GW in 2021 may choose to apply as a test-optional candidate. For future admission cycles, GW anticipates reverting to our pre-pandemic policy and requiring SAT/ACT scores from the following groups:

Applicants to the accelerated seven-year B.A./M.D. program”

Though the BA/MD program page still says tests are required. I had my kiddo email his Adcom about it.

New to BSMD, apply this year.

Stats:
GPA=3.85 UW; Full IB Diploma, National AP scholar
SAT=1510; SAT 2 Math=800
Extensive biomedical research Internship experience & Posters
Leadership roles of school clubs
Job shadow & Hospital volunteering

Debating which BS MD program to apply and what are the chances?
AMC through RPI or Union? Pros and Cons of these two programs? Students experience?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am not a student and may be biased towards RPI but due to the following reasons which may be appealing to some.

• RPI is a very rigorous school and will prepare the students well for medical school, whether AMC or anywhere else if there is a change of plans.

-Since it is accelerated, you save a year’s tuition, even if you don’t get any additional financial awards (most students do get price breaks).

• One is not required to take MCAT but I recommend taking it after sophomore year and if scores well can think of applying out if one wants to for any reason. But for that you need to inform the program director of the intention by beginning of 3rd year I believe.
  • The physician scientist program gives you adequate research opportunities from get go which will be very handy if you choose to opt out as mentioned above. Also the 32 credits for AP/IB will enable one to finish the undergrad in 3 years.

The advantages with Union program is it may fit well with leadership kind of personality and driven in that direction. Also if one likes liberal arts oriented curriculum. You can get an additional MS or MBA for the additional year spent, though one has to think how important an MBA from Union is for him/her. It is going to be more expensive of the two programs.

Not to discourage but I feel the SAT is towards the lower end of the applicants to the programs, especially if you are of Asian background, though not sure how it works out this time since not everyone will be able to submit the scores. Want to give another shot at SAT or may be even ACT if still enough time?

Also looking at the profiles of students in recent past from the results threads, AMC seems to be obsessed with high high school GPAs, with most successful candidates in the 3.95-4.0 ranges.

Can someone chance me?

I am ORM, legacy at Uconn, and go to a school with 400 students.

I have a 4.4 weighted and 3.99 unweighted. My SAT is 1530 and I have no subject tests because they were cancelled due to COVID-19.

APs:

Sophomore Year - AP European History (5) , AP Computer Science Principles (4)
Junior Year - AP Language and Composition (5), AP US History (4), AP Biology (4)
Senior year - AP Spanish, AP Psychology during the summer, AP Chemistry, AP comparative government, AP Calc AB.

ECs:

• Hospital volunteering
  • Vice president of Math Honor Society,
  • president of Spanish club
  • violinist, in highest orchestra of youth organization
  • Volunteer at science camp
  • National Charity League, parliamentarian, treasurer
  • researcher for Wildcam Gorongosa, Biointeractive
  • avid reader

I was going to do shadowing and volunteer more at the hospital, but they were both canceled due to Coronavirus. Instead, I have just been doing citizen science research.

I am looking at bs/md schools in the Northeast.

Schools on my list:

Case Western Reserve University PPSP
University of Rochester REMS
Stony Brook
Drexel
Union College
NJIT
Temple?

I would also probably go to most of these schools undergrad as well. If you think I have no chance at bs/md programs, should I just apply to combined Physician Assistant programs or bs/dmd programs instead?

Why is UConn not on your list, you being a legacy? They have a direct med program.