Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I also imagine they are a bit more lenient since they’re accelerated, which is nice.

Looks like I’m in for a ride then :joy:

1 Like

Folks

I think we are overthinking the GPA grade issue.

3.5 or 3.65 or 3.75 or 3.8 - at most colleges that GPA is doable for BS/MD students. The only troublesome program was WASHU - which no longer exists.
Key is to stay focused on the class and take every “mid-term” and quiz seriously. And being judicious about going to a Saturday night football home game when you have an Orgo midterm on Monday.

The undergrad experience is a lot more than just the minimum GPA requirements.

7 Likes

This is not our understanding from the time we talked to various UG seniors in BSMD. UG GPA is very hard in some schools, and it is reflected in the matriculation rate to medical school. Some schools have all BSMD kids take the same Honors class as a cohort, with steep bell curve, resulting in only 20% of the class max getting As. Couple that with a 3.8 GPA requirement, where A- is 3.75 and you can see it is more than a recipe for just weed out, it is a recipe for reduced matriculation. Most people don’t talk about it because would you want to share with friends and family that you didn’t meet GPA requirements? However, failing out of BSMD is very real in some UGs, so please talk to the seniors. They won’t mask it much.

1 Like

UConn results out, DD on waitlist. Not sure if this is like Hofstra’s waitlist where everyone gets waitlisted, or if they do accept, waitlist and reject. Anyone else get accepted, rejected or waitlisted please?

1 Like

We got a clear reject letter from UConn SPiM. No waitlist.

Hi, I was recommended by RIT to Upstate Med in December, but I still haven’t received an interview request.

Is anyone else in a similar boat?

Thank you, so this looks like a real waitlist that DD is on :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

DD just heard from UConn SPiM - accepted. She’s ecstatic and relieved as well. It’s true what many have said, all one needs is one program to say ‘yes’.

13 Likes

hi how did you get this number?

It said in the rejection email.

Congratulations :clap:

Are you CT resident?
“Connecticut residents will receive special consideration”

1 Like

Thank you. Not a CT resident. Out-of-state. We were all very pleasantly surprised, my wife, DD, and I.

Congratulations @OldSchoolMD
If I remember correctly from couple of years ago you also have an elder C also in a BS/MD program? (BU?)

1 Like

Yes, but don’t think that is the case with UCF or any other programs with high GPA requirements being discussed here.

C was in this one program that does it and we the parents were pretty scared with that program being C’s top choice. Many in that class were valedictorians/salutatorians of their respective high schools and we were scared how C will fare in such a distinguished bunch (was no where near that mark but may be top 5% of their HS class). But thanks to their high school rigor C did better than all of them in all sciences. Whether the highest in any given class in any test was a 70 or a 100, it would be C’s.

That’s the reason I mentioned about the importance of high school rigor and college preparedness.

2 Likes

I have been reading all these posts about GPA and ratings of Med schools. All I want to say is parents and kids don’t fret too much over this. Just go with which university you like and feel comfortable with. I have a nephew currently doing his fellowship in interventional cardiology at Columbia and he was very excited to get in there, 6 months down the line, he hates it and cannot wait to get out of the place soon enough. All the crazy things that go on there is mind boggling. He just wants to return to a smaller program and continue his career. Based on his experience my son who is a second year resident has decided to go for his fellowship in second tier programs.
Med school is a long journey, one needs to be careful not get burnt out along the way.

6 Likes

Hi BabySimba1 - Personally, SLU is the best UG out of the three you mentioned, without any frills such special majors etc…But, assuming you choose these colleges because you didn’t want to end up with regular pre-med in UG - I will explain as much as possible about your other choices-

MCPHS is a health science college located in famous Longwood area of Boston where world famous hospitals are located. They offer a BSDO program with LECOM or their combined BSMD program with St. Georges University. In addition they also have a lot of other professional majors such as 6 years PharmD etc.

On Toledo-
Have you been to Toledo, Ohio? Bacc2 MD means you have to stay there for a long time. Make sure you like the place before making your final decision.

Since Bacc2MD is a BSMD program (& your only direct entry MD choice for now), this would be the best option. Also, the requirements from the website seem reasonable to me. You may want to double check.

Also, their presidential scholarship gives full ride to their BSMD students for the UG - which is a sweet deal.

BACC2MD students are guaranteed an interview with the College of Medicine’s Admissions Committee if they have:

• Participated in special mentoring activities
  • Maintained a cumulative college GPA of at least 3.5
  • Have been involved in extra-curricular activities demonstrating a sincere interest in a medical career as well as demonstrating a compassionate and caring attitude
  • The MCAT will not be required for students

So finally admitting that high school rigor is the biggest factor for college success not how messed up traditional path is? What about all those failure stories you constantly quote? did they go to high schools knows for rigor or cruised thru without much studying?

2 Likes

Baskets are cruel in US :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations to your D and your family. UConn SPIM has a strong in-state preference. I heard they reserve only a couple of seats for OOS students.

1 Like