Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congrats! Did other applicants for the program receive their RPI decision yesterday? I did not receive anything from the UG

1 Like

FYI, Regular route MD acceptance rate is close to 42%. Please see the intersection of last row and last column in the following document from AAMC.
https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download

Thank you!! :relaxed: Iā€™m not sure about the status of other applicants but I remember them telling us that if you donā€™t receive notification, you are likely under consideration so donā€™t lose hope! :slight_smile:

RPI said you should receive an update 4-6 weeks after your interview date during my orientation.

Thank You, he goes to a mediocre high school. Does Vandy give additional opportunities for students to succeed in premed in terms of focused counseling, extracurriculars, research opportunities ? Was your son involved in research or any publications during undergrad ? He has Mosaic days coming up; Crazy everything is virtual so it is kind of hard to assess schools now.

NSU DO all the way between the 3 you have listed.

Vandy premed advisor was involved in MD PhD admissions for Vandy before so she is very good. Students can meet her regularly and get guidance. There are enough volunteer opportunities but competition will be there. My son created his own opportunities ie enhanced existing programs not merely followed. VA hospital and Vanderbilt hospital are walking distance.

My son started research in first semester itself since he had experience in HS but he couldnā€™t complete his first author paper yet but his research LOR is highest one can get.

My DC attends LECOM and we have only good things to say for their program.
They are usually #1 or #2 for step scores amongst all DO schools and have above average competitive match rates. Also decently ranked by usnews being in top half (50%) for primary care amongst all MD/DO schools and in 92-120 band for research. Some people dislike their dress code but we prefer it. The Bradenton med school follows PBL learning only and is located in beautiful Lakewood Ranch area, Erie campus has lecture as well as PBL. LECOM tuition is also cheap at only ~$35K so we save close to 100K over 4 years. Another advantage is you can possibly be at home or close (if you prefer) during UG part.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. the 38% was for Toledo only this year, even though past years have been better.

Also, based on several BSMD interviews DC attended this cycle, we got the impression that applications have gone up by 25% this year, wondering how that affects the med school acceptance rates, it will probably drop to 34% for the year with a slight drop for multiple years average.
And if the trend continues we are looking at a much more competitive landscape moving forward.

Another thing, vaguely remember some 2-3 cycles back someone posting in the results thread. He/she chose to go to SLU in preference over several brand name undergrads. Of course your C is going to make the final decision only after all the cards are out. But in the interim not a bad idea to private message the student to get first hand info on what he/she feels about that decision looking back now. Hopefully he/she can check your private message and respond in time (Note: in the old CC interface the private messaging option was only enabled after reaching 15 posts, may be they changed it now)

Starplatinum - Its been a long time! Congratulations on being accepted to multiple programs. USF/LECOM D.O seems very well regarded out of the 3. Both USF and LECOM are good imo.

However, I know a kid in NSU DO who likes being in the program as well.

Hey! Iā€™m making my final college decisions and I was hoping to receive some advice from pre-med perspectives (Iā€™m an aspiring physician-researcher). If you could provide any suggestions in this thread: SLU Medical Scholars, Pitt Honors, Duke, or UW-Madison? I would appreciate that immensely. Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much @rk2017
Will have DC check and message for info.

Thank you for sharing the info, very helpful as now we are deciding which would be a better option for him regular MD route or BSMD.

All 3 DOs schools are good.
Without knowing more details, difficult to say, which would be the best for you.

One thing you may want to consider - NYIT is known to have its students match to more competitive residencies.

Feel free to PM me given its Vandy :slight_smile:

Hey all! So looking for some advice here. Iā€™ve been accepted to the following joint programs:

Seton Hall BS/MD (guaranteed interview) - $13k/year
NYIT BS/DO - $26k/year
LECOM BS/DO - (havenā€™t chosen undergrad yet)
NSU BS/DO - $13k/year

Based off of these, which seem to be the best option? Iā€™m in the NJ/NY area so Seton Hall is nice just based off of location since I would be able to commute. The Seton Hall option also sounds nice since youā€™re open to apply to other med schools, but like the requirements to stay in the program are pretty high and itā€™s only a guaranteed interview IF you meet those requirements. Any opinion on which program(s) may be better/worse than the others? Or should I go the traditional route with like a four-five year full scholarship? Still interviewing for more BS/MD and BS/DO programs.

Other undergrads Iā€™m thinking about:
Kean NJCSTM - free until my masters
Montclair State
Northeastern - 18k/year
Rutgers New Brunswick Honors College - 6k/year
Tulane Honors - 15k/year
ā€¦ and waiting for more!

Thanks!

It is a very good choice for a NJ resident and apply via regular route to NJ medical schools. You have in-state advantage at NJMS and RWJ.

2 Likes

What will be medical school tuition for these schools as an OOS? donā€™t just look at BS costs only.

For med schools, here are the costs for me depending upon my state residency:

Seton Hall Hackensack Meridian - $63k/year (living at home)
NYITCOM - $62k/year plus apartment, utilities, groceries (NOT living at home)
LECOM - $36k plus apartment, utilities, groceries (NOT living at home)
(LECOM undergrad may be Syracuse for which Iā€™ve gotten a full tuition scholarship so only Room & Board left)
NSU - $62k/year plus apartment, utilities, groceries (NOT living at home)

Thanks!!