Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Fundamental differences, other programs vs SLU.

SLU/Toledo is not a guaranteed BS/MD program, rather gives an opportunity to succeed.
True BS/MD programs don’t enroll double of what available # of medical seats, that’s why true BS/MD programs don’t have that many seats to begin with, with PMM and PLME exception.

2 Likes

For SLU, if I ended up committing, I was planning on applying to multiple different medical schools and not just SLU SOM, since I have that option. Thoughts on me pursuing this program knowing that? Since SLU Med Scholars isn’t a binding program, I thought I would keep my options open by maintaining a high GPA regardless and attaining the highest MCAT score I can (upon other things).

tbh, the SLU requirements for MCAT timing may not work in favor to apply out. It is possible that you hadn’t not finished all premed prerequisites by the time they require you to have MCAT. That can potentially result in lower MCAT score and dooms the chances to apply out.

I was planning on taking the MCAT fall of my junior year? I know SLU Med Scholars says April of junior year and September of senior year, but I was going to take it early in my junior year regardless. Didn’t think that would make a difference.

1 Like

tbh, not that many students can accomplish the great MCAT score that early time frame. Remember you want to give MCAT once, it is not ACT/SAT where you can just go and seat few weeks after. I also replied to your own thread so let’s carry the conversation there for your situation specific questions.

1 Like

I approached ACT in the similar format haha. I only took it once and got a 35 on the first try. Second time I did it was because I was required to by my school, but that one I did to superscore to a 36. The method worked for me this year, so I was thinking of approaching MCAT in similar format. I spent the entire summer between my sophomore and junior year self-studying as well.

My DC just received Stony Brook’s Scholars for Medicine interview (through email).

10 Likes

It comes down to when you complete all the premed classes including BioChem. My S did in January of Junior year after completing classes in Fall and used 3 week winter break to practice. It also comes down to how much prep time you need. I have seen some taking 10+ full length practice tests to get their target scores.

2 Likes

There are 2 programs folks need to be careful. SLU and LECOM. They take so many students in a program and if they all meet all requirements will be more than the number of medical seats. Obviously they know based on historic data or will be forced to weed out students using some aspects.

Irrespective of the terminology BS/MD or EAP or Hybrid or what ever fancy name, make sure you understand all nuances before you commit on May 1st.

2 Likes

SLU: SOM class size is about 180 and they say 1/3 of it comes from SLU UG. That’s about 60 and that may include some regular UG and rest from Medical Scholars. So mostly 40-50 from med scholars program. Based on how many matriculate to med scholars in a given year, 60% could make it, worst could be only 40% of them. But there is that drop for sure! So, beware of that fact and accordingly make your call.

Congratulations!!! Did your C receive Honors notification earlier or received both together?

D took MCAT in Jan of junior year just as spring semester started and was done. One needs to have taken a Biochemistry course before taking MCAT and must be scoring near the target score in AAMC practice tests 1,2,3,4 before taking the actual test. The AAMC practice test scores are very close to actual MCAT score within a margin of may be +2/-2, IMO. A March-April sitting may work out since the application cycle does not open before June-July of that year unless a retake is required. A MCAT score 500 is only a 50%.

Catching up on this year’s admission frenzy. Glad to see the stalwarts @NoviceDad @srk2017 @PPofEngrDr @grtd2010 @Vicky2019 giving advice as always! You guys rock!! I am loving my program and perhaps may double major in south Asian studies along side biology :slight_smile:

@REMSHOPEFUL123 - take it from someone that went through this last year. Nothing is worth this level of anxiety. If I could go back and re-live my last year, I would have approached every interview with a more carefree attitude. It will all work out at the end and guess what, if you don’t get a BS/MD there is always the traditional path. If you want to become a doctor, you will find a way. So just relax… nerves can work against you.

6 Likes

IMO, the fact the class intake is 80-100 and may be only 30 end up matriculating to SLU SOM. There are a lot of hopes and dreams that get crushed in between period.

1 Like

Might the UCF Burnett Medical Scholars be classified as a third in this list?

I googled the SLU SOM profiles to see how many are matriculating to SOM from SLU UG. And its not as many as I was imagining. And it widely swings- 30, 42, 25 and 38 in previous 4 years. Could not find class of 2024 profile. So how many of them are Med Scholars and how many are traditional route?

SOM:
Class of 2020: Thirty members of the class received their undergraduate degree from SLU.
Class of 2021: Forty-two members of the class received their undergraduate degree from SLU
Class of 2022: Twenty-five members of the class received their undergraduate degree at SLU.
Class of 2023: Thirty-eight members of the class received their undergraduate degree at SLU.

Best case scenario for med scholar is 0 from traditional route, yet it is not best.

Someone who is in the program mentioned that UCF BMS program admits around 35-40 students.

1 Like

Thank you. Honors College Acceptance email came in last Tue.

1 Like

Hey brainbuilder02 - Its good to hear that you are enjoying your BSMD program. South asian studies as a minor is good :+1: Which BSMD program did you end up joining? Are you remote or on-site for your UG?

1 Like