Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

If kid is good in sciences getting into DO through traditional route should not be a issue as a backup.

3 Likes

3.3 GPA and above 505 MCAT should get you DO. With 504 you can go to Australia and New Orleans and have lot of fun😀

We applied to Upstate and came to realize a bit too late that the SUNY campus kids will go to is the one at Utica and not the one at Albany. We are wondering what the research opportunities are in Utica. Does not seem to be on par with other Upstate options, and unclear they there are volunteer/shadowing opportunities either.

We reached out to quite a few students that got into Utica past couple of years and not one of them responded, which is concerning as it is. We would very much appreciate any information.

@frd2020

My son received one as well.

@love4bsmd

So true. It’s actually something that led my kiddo to turn down 2 interviews- he said he honestly couldn’t see himself attending a T100(ish) school even if he got into a BSMD. He readily admits he wants somewhere “prestigious” and that matters to him.

(And yes he knows all the drawbacks to prestige chasing.)

Next time say he want to be competitive not prestige chasing :slight_smile: He wants to be an Eagle not a Turkey (in bird language).

1 Like

You have another option at PSU/SKMC (Philadelphia).

Will you take them up on the offer?

parents push smart kids in DO a programs early.

There is a reason why medical schools are ranked and how many DO programs are ranked in T80 ? I have not seen one.

1 Like

Stony Brook has put following conditions for matriculation to Scholars in Medicine program:
1.Successfully complete and attain a cumulative MCAT score comparable to the national average of medical school matriculates. (found in the WISE Honors page)
2.Successfully complete the MCAT (minimum score determined by the School of Medicine, Committee on Admissions) (found in the Honors page)

What is the national average MCAT score for last 1-2 years?
What is the minimum score determined by the School of Medicine (at Stony Brook) for the last 1-2 years?
Any idea? Thank you.

The national average seems to be around 512 but steadily increasing.
It seems a MCAT score 515 may safely meet these requirements.

1 Like

I am wondering the same thing if anyone has any idea :slight_smile:

How did you miss that?

That is correct SUNY Poly’s main campus is in Utica, NY and all UG majors are out of that campus. Only Nanoscale Engineering/Science program runs out of the nice brand new glass building in Albany.

Its unfortunate that out of 5 different feeders that your DD had, Upstate choose you for Poly. We were very upset after attending their full day info session which was so underwhelming and we lost interest. Definitely not DD preference.

I have the same feeling that they may not have many opportunities compared to Albany and other metros, but they do have medical relates UGs such as Nursing, Health Information Management etc. So, I am sure they have few affiliations with local hospitals etc.

Your best bet is to contact your admission counselor at Poly and get some contacts of the students in the UAS program and speak to them before deciding. If you are from the area, visit the campus while its in session. We were there but during Covid, so nothing was happening there to see the buzz. Campus itself is not bad as its relatively new built.

It may be hard to believe, but my DD did all the work for her applications with the help of her high school counselor. I only got engaged when the secondary apps started, and that too to help her with admin tasks. SUNY is new to us cos my older DD did not apply there, and we didn’t even know there is Utica campus!! Had we known, we would have encouraged her to only apply to specific campuses. Something to pass on to next year’s batch :+1:

That is the only option she seems to be considering for now. She wanted to sign up immediately, but we have asked her to hold off for now. We want her to visit the campus but she doesn’t want to travel without vaccine and I think students are the last group that will get vaccinated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the info @grtd2010
Any idea usually how many MCAT sittings are taken to achieve 515?

Thank you so much for your detailed comments. I agree, Upstate seemed lot more relaxed, supportive and flexible. We are also inclining towards Upstate.

1 Like

My C has also been offered admission through SUNY Poly Utica. C was telling that they have good Nano Science research set up. So, nuclear medicine related research is quite possible with in Utica campus itself. Although, we did not talk to anybody but SUNY Poly must have good connection with local hospitals and clinics as it’s one of main educational institute of Utica. I am sure previous year students must have explored and established the connection. Worst scenario, C can drive up to Syracuse and get needed exposure using connection of SUNY upstate. I think, it’s 45 minutes drive. Once or twice a week drive is possible. One good things about SUNY Poly is that it’s overall cost is on lower side in comparison to other feeders. Cost was one of our important factor.

1 Like

There is always a probability that somethings will not work out.
Is there a risk? yes. is the current high school student with GPA>3.75 and SAT>1500? If yes, take the risk on the traditional route rather than going BS/DO now.
On the other hand, if your SAT = ~1400, and you want to be a doctor, take BS/DO and work hard and then decide if applying out helps.

1 Like

Congratulations to all who got into Upstate.

1 Like