Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@Vicky2019 Thank you. Your suggestions on the schools will really help.

@Vicky2019 which feeder for SUNY upstate BSMD would you suggest.

NU-HPME

It seems HPME (as it existed) has been gutted for good.
This was shared in NU Alumni call a few days ago.

Don’t worry about the typical stats from regular cycles. Programs do know that lot of students haven’t been able to take/retake the tests as in the previous cycles. So guess will be more accommodative and holistic in their selections approach this time. Spend good effort on the essays. Also convey your unique family covid situation in the application as you deem fit, think they have a separate section for that.

@NoviceDad

You mean the program’s selection process/criteria (as existed) is scrapped going forward, or the program itself completely? I think you are alluding to the former, just want to confirm.

Program itself is scrapped.
No ETA on any replacement.

Too bad, that is I think one of the first 4 BS/MD accelerated programs and long standing with meaningful intake numbers each year.

IMO, it is done for meeting the diversity goals of NU medical school. Now they can get more URMs. ORMs can get into NU medical school via regular route MD. IMO, BU SMED should move in the same direction( getting more URMs in the program ).

I disagree.
Med school is a graduate level program.
Colleges already have Diversity as a criteria for undergrad applicants.
Your medical school applicant pool itself comes from undergrad pool where diversity criteria was already applied.

There are many ways to achieve diversity without gutting the HPME program.

Medical school pool comes from so many different UG schools, so UG diversity is irrelevant when it comes to med school admission. If you look at most schools enrolled classes, you will find some 50+ UG schools for a class of ~150, which itself is a daunting task to pick students from so many different UGs.

When a private school makes call to scrap HPME forever, certain that they had thought out in much details than what is being discussed here and suspect that diversity is a sole reason.

The fact that Alumni were NOT consulted before scrapping and decision was driven by 1 person rather than a committee does not give any confidence that this was a thought out, discussed and debated decision.

Again, There are many ways to achieve diversity without gutting the HPME program.

Anyway the fact is that program is scrapped.

I believe Saint Louis University (SLU) is another one.

SLU needs an additional application for Medical Scholars Program/bsmd. And, its an EAP not guaranteed bsmd program. Any insights on the program as a backup?

Folks

GPA and Scores are one element in your application. As we all know, this year, SAT/ACT tests have been canceled and that has put everyone in a spot.
Use the Common App COVID19 section to highlight your specific situation wrt. tests.

Also, note, the entire application determines who gets called for an interview.
These include other key elements in your control - namely the Essays, and your other achievements (besides GPA/scores).
Sharpen your essays. Make them your best.
Your Letters of Recommendations are another factor. Your rapport with your counselor and teachers will only help you.

So, focus on getting your best and most compelling application.

@YoungThriver - Personally don’t recommend 6 year programs especially because you need to be not only prepared for med school but only gain some maturity.

Something to think about - you end up taking MCAT in the final year of UG (which is 2nd year). Most of the kids who graduated during class of 2021 will still be in their sophomore year of college!

@vves20 - My personal preference is SUNY Purchase/Upstate

pros:
Purchase is a good college and you need 3.5 GPA in UG
MCAT is waived

cons:
Acceptance to upstate is binding so if you apply out, you lose your seat (this is not uncommon)

@rk2017 @NoviceDad Thank you and that gives little bit of comfort.

Until now, we did not think of mentioning Covid impact on the application. But it does have a bearing on DD’s prep for upcoming SAT and we are not able to completely isolate her from the situation or provide enough support that she needs at this critical time. We will add that to our application, if she can’t get a good SAT score.

@vves20 & all students - With BSMD’s there are no guarantees regarding where you will get into. The competition is cut throat. You need to apply to a broad variety of programs and to a lot of them.

And I don’t believe you get BS degree with 6 years programs, just in case if you change mind in mid-course. Its MD or nothing. At least, its the case with UKMC 6 yr program. The burn-out and not having enough UG college experience
I am not a fan of 6yr programs either.

I am not sure how Alumni consent plays role, at end of day whether if you are Dr from HPME/Feinberg or PLME or SMED or Geffen or HMS, it doesn’t carry any baggage in professional life. I don’t know all insight to what happened behind the scene, but it is hard to fathom that it is a person decision. It is a private school, how they fill their class doesn’t require any consultation other than their own med school (whoever are decision making, don’t think 1 person alone can make decision for 12% of seats).
As ORM, whether we like current diversity driven nature of medical schools or not, but it is a reality and happening all other professional lives including judiciary and corporate boardrooms.

SLU is EAP. SLU weeds out after 1st year. I had posted its stats last year too. You may want to search under my ID with word SLU to learn more about it.