Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

[quote=“force1, post:999, topic:2096007”]

Is a SAT Math2 score of 740 worth submitting to colleges for BS/MD? could not take again because of COVID/Thanx[/quote

Score is on the lower end.
Practically all BS/MD programs have made subject tests optional or not required.

BU is test optional.
They highly recommend to submit your scores if you have taken the tests.

@rk1235rk I totally understand. I was trying to add AP chemistry on top of my current course load, but wasn’t permitted to because it would have been “too much.” At my school, Ap Physics C is a two-term commitment (on our trimester system) and I’m currently taking the last term, so I’m not able to drop it. I actually might take something like astronomy next term and start self-studying for chem alongside that. This will give me ~6 months during the school year to self-study for the chemistry exam.

By the way, how did your daughter find self-studying for the Chem exam?

Should I use the additional information section (maybe write another essay) if I feel as though I have nothing else to add?

@YoungThriver, she had taken Honors Chem in 10th grade. And she is taking AP Chem now in 12th grade. Obviously, she had forgotten most of the stuff from honors Chem. She got some SAT Chem prep books - like Barrons, etc - and is also using some online resources. She said that it is not so easy to self study chem. Would have been much easier to take AP Chem for a year and then give the exam (like she did with SAT Bio and SAT Math - both of which she scored 800). She is shooting for anything above 750. Her SAT Chem got cancelled 2 times already and now she is registered for one on Oct 3. Will see what happens then.

@Futurdoc, you could use additional section to write about any other activities, summer courses, awards, part-time work etc that are not covered otherwise in the application. I don’t know what kind of essay you would write there - there is no essay prompt for it. If there is no additional information to add to the application - it is ok to leave it.

@rk1235rk thank you for your insights.

@YoungThriver

My son used it to highlight activities he does outside of school that didn’t really fit on the application spaces. For example, we hike a LOT as a family so he put information in about the miles and different locations he has hiked as well as all the road races he does. He doesn’t participate in school sanctioned sports because frankly, he hates them and also he absolutely doesn’t have the time to do them, but he is still very active.

He also put in there the awards he earned, like Rennselaer’s Medal or UR’s Bausch and Lomb that he couldn’t fit in the awards section.

My DD has a SAT 1500 taken during the junior year and subject tests of Math2 790 and Chemistry 740. Can we choose not to submit SAT and submit only the subject tests?. she is planning to take it again next week after multiple cancellations.

@love4bsmd

Let her take the test next week and decide based on her feel of how it goes.
If for some reason God forbid the test gets cancelled again, better to submit the score at hand and mention in the application about all the cancellations with dates.

@rk2017 Thank you.

Hope she gets to take the test (and improve her score)

Have been going over this thread for few months and I want to thank all the senior members for your invaluable guidance.

Noted that DD needs to crack the 1540 score to have any chances for BSMD as an ORM. Hope she gets there while we are fighting a critical-ICU Covid +ve situation in the immediate family!

Sorry to hear about Covid +ve situation in the family. Hope and pray for the speedy recovery.
She should apply to BSMD programs regardless of retake of SAT.
Just to add, only 5% of MD seats are filled by BSMD. There is always a traditional route MD. To have any realistic chance, one should aim for SAT 1570-1600 (Excellent) for BSMD. You may not want to submit SAT II score if not required.

SAT Math2 740 is not worth submitting. The curve drops very fast for SAT Math2 and it does not add anything new.

His profile is good and no need to take SAT again. Please submit SAT II scores. National Merit Semifinalist is a valuable achievement and some places like OU MHSP BSMD (Norman, OK) gives a good scholarship based on NMF status.

NU and BU BSMD required only two SAT II scores with SAT II Chem being one of them in prior years.

@vves20 -

Please find my response to your questions

1. You have a profile similar to average BSMD applicants. Apply broadly to various BS/MD programs. (15 BSMDs & 5 UGs).
  2. I do not recommend retaking the SAT exam. 1550 is a solid score.
  3. Does your state public university have a BSMD program? If yes, then you should definitely go for that since it will have strong preference for in-state students. It will also be much cheaper.

Here is my list of recommended colleges-

University of Rochester REMS
BU SMED 7 yrs
Case Western PPSP
UPitt/UPitt
Penn State/Jeff 7 yrs
GWU/GWU 7yrs
RPI/AMC 7 yrs
Stony Brook
Temple/LKSOM
UCincinatti
University of Alabama med school EMSAP
Rutgers medical school & it’s feeders 7 Yrs
VCU
SUNY upstate BSMD & feeders

Like NoviceDad mentioned, you need to finalize your list of colleges, asap. Focus on essays. Infact you have just 4+ weeks before the Nov 1 deadline!

Work hard on the courses you are taking as a senior since the colleges do request transcripts that include the first semester GPA

@mom2boys1999 -

In our personal experience, students usually don’t get too tired during the application phase since they are driven by hormones. However, waiting for interviews and finally the results is a lot slower and therefore more tiring!

I agree with you that BSMD process is a complete burn out!

@grtd2010 Thank you for the suggestions. Still he is struggling to list the BS/MD schools. He looked into the profiles of students who discussed in this forum in earlier years. Its kind of mixed. He is worried that he might end up choosing schools that might not be reachable for him.

@YoungThriver - This is a different perspective on the feedback provided so far.

Northwestern and BU require Chem subject test. For this year, BU is test optional and NU BS MD has been put on hold due to COVID. There is no guarantee that this will not get repeated next year for 21-22 cycle.

By not taking Chem subject test, you only miss out on NU and BU BSMD’s. Instead just take Bio and Math level 2 subject tests… All other BSMDs that are not specifically asking for Chemistry should still be open for you.

In any case, as long as you end up taking Chem AP as a senior, you should be in an equal footing with other applicants for all others. IMO, you should not self-study Chemistry on your own in order to enable you to take Chem subject test. This time could be better utilized in other ways.

Look at the profiles of successful students in BSMD 2020 results. I would recommend you to fill gaps in your profile (improve your GPA, improve your ECs & volunteering & leadership, improve your medically related experience). Your junior year and 1st semester of senior years are crucial.

@Vicky2019 Wow, thank you. I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful feedback. I’ve also been looking into Howard’s 6-year program and I don’t think they’ve ever asked for Subject exams (however, I’m not sure).