Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@GoldenRock Just wanted to note that the 90% is for all public universities. Baylor’s private and is more on the lines of 75-85% in-state.

Would you recommend Rice or Baylor over UT? (for undergrad)

@7phyrr Rice > UT Austin >> Baylor. However, UT Austin has the advantage of cost if you don’t qualify for financial aid at Rice. Baylor is generous with half-tuition merit scholarships for students w/strong stats, but I would recommend UT Austin or Rice over it due to a lack of a medical school (Rice’s next to the Texas Medical Center, and UT Austin has its own med school) and the surrounding area, which can be a draw for students coming from a large city in Texas or elsewhere. Baylor also has a religious atmosphere as a Christian university, though there are definitely students who are not Christian as well. If in-state for UT Austin, apply to all 3 and compare offers once decisions release. :smile:

Hope that helps! Good luck with admissions!

Hi everyone! I am currently a freshman attending the 8 year program at George Washington University, but will be transferring to attend the UPitt GAP program (their interviews were conducted fall of this year so I was recently accepted). I have also received admissions to programs at WashU, AMC, SUNY Upstate, OU MHSP, and UCF. I also received interviews at NJMS, Boston, Temple, Cincinnati, FAU, Hofstra, Sophie Davis. I am really passionate about this entire process and believe I have definitely learned a lot through my experience. Hence, I would love to mentor any students who need help with their essays or interviews or just have any general questions.

That seems to be the case on paper, however TMDSAS system effective acceptance rate is ~35% compared to national average ~40%. So being TX resident is not necessarily an advantage for TX medical schools.

@aniiiiiii

Congratulations on your outstanding accomplishment and best wishes @UPitt.
7 is the lucky number. 7 i’s in your handle, 7 acceptance, 7 interviews.

It will be of great help

1. if you can post in results thread with your perspective http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020.html#latest
  1. Continue to respond and guide new students in this thread as and when you get time.

@aniiiiiii - Congratulations on your Upitt BSMD admission and truly wonderful BSMD cycle! Hope you will post in BSMD 2020 results.

@GoldenRock - I think @aniiiiiii got a total of 14 interviews, out of which she got admission to 7 of the BSMD programs.

@aniiiiiii, congrats on your UPitt admission. And quite amazing to know that you got 14 interviews and 7 acceptances. It would be great and helpful if you can post your stats, prospective, tips etc at BSMD 2020 results page.

Do most colleges for the BSMD program recalculate the GPA from the high school transcript? and if they do will they give any extra credit for the Honors classes?

@aniiiiiii
Congratulations on your GAP acceptance. You have multiple very good acceptances. You must have perfect GPA and test scores, along with eye popping ECs for research, volunteering and of course excellent interviewing skills too.

Just curious what made you to apply (with such a strong resume) for non-guaranteed programs such as UCF, FAU and Temple?

@babySimba1, I doubt that colleges recalculate GPA based on the transcript that you gave them-unless it is mentioned on their website. Like in case of UF, they ask you to create SSAR and enter your courses and grade - using the instruction they have provided on their website - even there, it says enter grades as they appear on your transcript and there is a drop down to indicate if it is AP, IB, Honors etc. It does not say how they will use it to add extra credits.
So I think schools that use additional systems like SSAR (UF, PennState) will be recalculating - but others I doubt. They probably will take whatever GPA is mentioned on the transcript.
The school my D goes to - does not give any extra credit for Honors. They give only for AP course.

Thank you for your kind words. Personally, I wasn’t too sure how I compared with my peers, and hence wanted to ensure that I would get at least one acceptance.

@love4bsmd, as far I know UCF and FAU are guaranteed program (UCF’s MCAT and other requirements are on higher side though). What makes you think they are not?

@PPofEngrDr

Not sure I am following your point. It is hard to know the admission details either from TX or Non-TX admission systems or from colleges. Every one shares only the applicants and matriculants details only.

There is an advantage for TX resident since state law mandates 90% of seats must be for IS for public schools (even for Baylor it is high compared to any other private colleges due to some funding agreement).

2019 stats:
Systems Applicants % Matriculants % Total Seats
IS OOS IS OOS
TMDSAS 76 24 93 7 1622/1501-121
AMCAS 22.4 77.6 60.6 39.4 21869/ 13253-8616

There is a reason why IS applicants and matriculants stats are lopsided in TMDCAS.

@GoldenRock It is true that TX medical schools have to enroll 90% of IS candidates due to TX state law. What I am comparing is how likely TX resident is get into TX medical school vs AMCAS medical school. There are MSAR tables identifying and extensively discussed TX advantage or not on other site. According to that only ~35% of TX resident applicants get admission vs ~40% national average, in other words TX residency is not necessarily advantageous over other states to get an admission to at least one med school.

My daughter got 750 and 730 in SAT math and chemistry respectively. Is it better to submit those scores or leave them out of the BSMD application?

For anyone who has applied to/gotten in to the Siena/AMC program, I have a question:

I turned in my common app about a week ago and received an email today to schedule my Siena/AMC interview. Is this normal? Do they interview everyone that applies?

Siena selects applicants for its interviews.
Only applications of such candidates get forwarded to AMC and receive a supplement from AMC.
I believe ~70% of the applicants get selected for the Siena interview.

It seems early as the deadline for application is Nov 1.

TX has about ~1650 medical school seats as against ~21,000 nationally.
The TX resident applicant number is close to 5000.
Aggregate ratio: 0.9*1650 / 5000 = ~0.3 or 30%

However, in 2010-20 application cycle,
Total of 53,355 applications were received in aggregate for 1656 TX seats giving an acceptance ratio of 3.1%

Nationally, 896,619 applications were received in aggregate for 21,869 seats giving an acceptance ratio of 2.4%

NOTE: If we take an average of 17 applications per student, 53,355 divided by 17 gives 3138 students.

Somewhere we need more granular data.

One more data from AAMC for last application cycle
~65% of Texas applicants did NOT matriculate into any medical school in the country.

Among the major states, only FL had similar stats.