Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Does Purchase college has a BS/MD essay under common app?
Selected yes for “Do you intend to apply to the Guaranteed Entry Program (GEP) with SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine?”, still not able to find any why Medicine essay. Any ideas/suggestions please

SUNY Upstate supplment is to be submitted after you get an invite from Upstate.

But, to be on a safe side, reach out to Purchase’s Undergrad admissions and confirm there is no additional essays to be submitted with your common app.

That sounds right as it is same for other two SUNY feeders into Upstate program. Looks like will have to do supplements if invited.

Is it possible to get into a bs md program without any medical experience?

I have high stats all around considering the requirements and averages for these programs, only field I am lacking in would be medical experience (volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.).

I have virtually no opportunities for any of these where I am from and was planning on participating in a medical research program during the summer in the US but was unable to due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Is this an immediate disqualification or is my situation something that would affect the applicant pool in general so as to make my case more manageable and possible for consideration?

@7phyrr

Apply to few BS/MD programs which are of interest to you and not heavy emphasis on research or medical EC (ex: RPI/BU/NJMS) but considers any other volunteering (assume you have EC/Volunteer activities (Ex; OU, Tulsa).

@7phyrr - From your post, it seems that you currently live outside of United States. Is this right? You didn’t mention your citizenship or residency status?

Not sure if it is applicable but -
Most BSMD programs require that the students be U.S. citizen or permanent residents

A few BSMD programs that consider international students are:

Boston University
University of Rochester
Case Western Reserve University
Penn State University
Brown University
Rice/Baylor
Virginia Commonwealth University

note, George Washington University and Wayne State only accept Canadian students…

BSMD programs are already very competitive for US citizens/residents and require competitive stats/ECs, medical experience. Having high stats is pretty much only a basic requirement and used for initial screening only.

I have heard that for foreign students these programs are even more competitive! So, not having medical ECs would be a disadvantage in my opinion.

It is like hiring a beach guard who has never swim in his/her life.
U S medical schools look for your motivation to pursue medicine and exposure to medical fields. Clinical volunteering, shadowing and research related to medical sciences fulfil these requirements. IMO, it would be a futile exercise to apply to BSMD without these activities. One can always apply later via regular UG (US based) route to medical schools.

[quote=“Vicky2019, post:1129, topic:2096007”]

@Vicky2019 FYI
The OP has previously posted and it seems that he/she is a high school senior in Texas (see post #870 and 874). His/her stats are not that great either as per his/her previous posts (SAT 1450. UW Highs School GPA 3.8) . No information about US citizenship or permanent resident status in posts #870 and #874.

Hi Experts,

This might have been asked before - do we need to send official AP scores to colleges (BSMD and top tiers undergrads) now? I see there is a section in common app to report all of your AP courses and scores. I tried to look regarding this on few colleges websites but did not see any specific instructions about AP scores.
If someone knows of any colleges (specially BSMD) that want AP scores to be sent along with application, can you please point it out?

Thank you.

@rk1235rk - Usually students report all of their AP courses/scores in the Common App.

As far as I know, no BSMD colleges are looking for official AP scores to be sent to them. You provide the official scores only after joining the program/college.

Some UG colleges such as NYU, UChicago accept either AP scores or SAT/ACT or Subject tests…In such cases, the students sending only AP scores instead of SAT probably send the official scores…But, my S didn’t do this…

[quote=“grtd2010, post:1131, topic:2096007”]

@grtd2010 - I see. Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t look at the previous posts…

This is very confusing since in the poster #1126, OP has mentioned that -
“I have virtually no opportunities for any of these where I am from and was planning on participating in a medical research program during the summer in the US but was unable to due to Covid-19 restrictions.”

This seems to indicate that he is from outside of US where he had no opportunity to gain medically related experience and that he was planning to participate in a research program during summer 2020 in the USA but could not due to COVID-19 restrictions…

@grtd2010 @Vicky2019

Just some additional information, I am a US Citizen (though I go to highschool overseas), parents are Texas Residents (I think that can get me residency for Texas schools). I also took the SAT this Sept. and got the improvement I was hoping for in a 1580. Does this change my chances or am I still unlikely due to my lack in medical experience? Also any recommendations for programs that are more likely to accept me?

@Vicky2019 @rk1235rk While the University of Central Florida in Orlando (Burnett Medical Scholars program) seems to have dropped the requirement this year per their admissions website (https://www.ucf.edu/admissions/undergraduate/freshman/ ), they required an official AP score report for undergraduate admissions. Make sure to check with each admissions website, as requirements can change from year to year.

Most top-tier undergrads accept self-reported AP scores. Some (Vanderbilt, USC, Cornell etc.) require official SAT/ACT score reports. Again, reference each school’s website to be sure.

Hope that helps!

GWU/GWU - Second Essay.

CommonApp:
Do you wish to be considered for admission to the Seven-Year B.A./M.D Accelerated Program? By selecting this option you will be required to submit an additional essay on the GW Supplement.

GWU website:
A small percentage of qualified applicants will be selected to complete a second essay about their motivations for medicine and their interest in GW.

Question:
There is no second essay prompt on common App now. Do they invite qualified applicants for the supplement and that is when you submit the second essay?

If so, when do they normally invite? How do they inform and how long to respond to the supplement?

@love4bsmd The supplemental essay is available in the writing supplement section of the Common App, not in the main application section. I wasn’t selected and was notified so in late January/early February, so expect an update around then.

Hope that helps!

@love4bsmd I think the same as @PikachuRocks15. There are 2 essays (1 required and 1 optional) on the writing supplement section for GWU. I don’t think they send any other supplement application/essay to fill. But I agree - the language on their website is confusing - it makes you think that few students will be selected to write second essay.

@7phyrr - Thanks for the clarification. Traditional undergrad followed by medical school is the route that 95-96% students take. This will provide the most flexible route.

You could definitely apply to any BSMD program or UG but for better chance apply to BSMD programs for Texas residents since they do have in-state preference. But these may still require medical ECs.

Some BSMD options that do not have interview are - SLU, Toledo, Seton Hall, Augusta professional Scholars program. I have heard that these are early assurance but select students directly from high school.

Another option is for you to try for Undergrad college that offer Early Assurance…

See the list below. Students apply by end of sophomore year and do not take MCAT. You could get medically related experience by then.

Albany Medical College Early Assurance Program
Boston University Early Medical School Selection Program
Brody School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Dartmouth University Geisel School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Drexel University College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Georgetown University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Hofstra/Northwell Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine, Zucker Pipeline Program
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Flex Med Program
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Early Assurance Program
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Penn State College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Tufts University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Chicago Pritzker school of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Florida Medical Honors Program
University of Rochester School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Wake Forest School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Mount Sinai has a flexmed early admission program open to sophomores from anywhere in USA.

SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program works similarly to Mount Sinai FlexMed.
Rutgers-RWJ & NJMS have early assurance programs for Rutgers-Sophomore students only.

@PikachuRocks15 - You are right that students should look at requirements in each college/program website.

Most Top schools (except for public universities) only require self reported AP or SAT scores in Common Application. Public Universities tend to require official scores.

In the past, most BSMD programs have required SAT I/ACT and SAT II subject tests, but none have mandated AP scores. Not sure about this current year.

Personal experience from 2020 cycle:
Although my S submitted ACT & SAT II scores officially, he didn’t submit his AP scores at all. He also submitted SRAR (self reported assessment report) for public universities such as Penn State, UPitt etc.

@PikachuRocks15 @rk1235rk.

Thank you so very much. I see them now. Unlike other schools, GWU has two separate sections. When it reached to “review and submit CommonApp” I thought I reached end of the application.

GWU has additional “Writing Supplement” section and 'questions" under it for BA/MD supplemental essays, as rightly noted by both of you. Thanks again!

@7phyrr

Being a TX resident is a significant advantage for MD admission. 90% of students must be TX residents during the regular MD admission. So would recommend don’t be so keen on getting in to any BS/MD. Just apply to few BS/MD like Rice / Baylor, OU, Tulsa and apply to UT for UG.