Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Pitt GAP needs by Nov 1st. My C and I missed that, so we put in a rush order when we ordered last week, as we didn’t want to take a chance.

Sorry, correction. Penn State needs by Nov 1st. My C and I missed that, so we put in a rush order when we ordered last week, as we didn’t want to take a chance.

Thanks @BSMDMOM2021 ! Do you know if it’s required for any other colleges too?

I’m pretty sure Drexel also requires by November 1st.

Temple has extended their early action deadline from Nov1 to Nov15

The deadline is sneaking up and of course the kid gets sick on Friday. Thankfully not Covid but he has spent all weekend congested with a headache. Been spraying his room and the hallway with my precious Lysol (ha!). Good luck to all the families as the deadlines creep up!!!

Do we have a cheat sheet post somewhere that gives a rough estimate for timelines of notifications?

(And before someone tells me to do it myself, I have no problem doing so and will if this isn’t something already in existence)

@mygrad2021 @kt0356 Drexel said we would email them a pdf of the scores and that’s what we did.

@symere

If you are a casual applicant to these programs it doesn’t matter, but if serious you should consider adding more and there is not much time either. Among the programs you listed, Rice/Baylor has only 6 slots and if you are from ORM (Asian) background, chances are slim for Brown PLME.

@mygrad2021

Call up college board and check what is the ETA for score delivery. If they sound iffy, you can pay additional fee to expedite but feel you may not have to.

My last week experience with sending subject scores from college board to colleges - After submitting the request and paying fee, it does not show anywhere that you have requested to scores to sent on college board website. An email arrives with the confirmation. Within 2 days, it shows the sending scores are pending. On 5th day, it said scores are sent. This is normal service (no rush). So it took them 5 days to send the scores. And then it is up to the colleges to download them and upload them into your application.

Thank you all for your responses! @rk2017 , my daughter called PennState and they said they are fine even if they receive the scores after NOV 1st as they don’t take that into consideration for 1st round of screening applications as long as they have SAT/ACT scores.

Thank you @rk1235rk! That really helps.

One more question about SAT Subject tests,

For almost all applications, when you log into the application portal of colleges to check status - there is a checklist that shows stuff that they need - like SAT/ACT, transcripts, letter of reco etc. and you can see what they received and what they didn’t. But almost all college’s checklist does not contain line item for SAT Subject tests. How do we know if they received it or downloaded it and added to your application? Or we just trust that they received it and its added to your application?

@rk1235rk , I have the same confusion too.

First check to see if college board did their part. Then where you (the parents) think it matters the most, BS/MD or traditional, call up the admissions / programs office and check. Mostly the folks are helpful.
Remember doing it myself during C’s cycle few years back.

if i want universities to consider ap scores should i send them along with the rest of my application?

@kt0356, you really don’t have to send official scores (via college board) and spend money on it. You can list them in common app (there is a place to list them).

@rk2017 what other bsmds would you recommend? i am looking at uab and stony brook now as well

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but it’s good to see some familiar faces. I wish everyone good luck in there application cycles! Remember that not being accepted isn’t the end of the world. My brother went from being rejected from every program and attending our state school to getting multiple md school acceptances, including to a top 10 school. Just do your best, and if it doesn’t work out, prove that they made a mistake.

I would recommend BU (~20 in size), Penn State/Jefferson (~40) and if your background is in research RPI/AMC (~15). Some people seem to have concerns about the med school part of the last one, but I think it is a good program, better apply now and decide later if selected.

UAB is a great program, but seems they have preference for instate applicants, followed by regional (neighborhood 3-4 states). So the intake for others may be very small.

@rk2017, can you please elaborate on your comment “Some people seem to have concerns about the med school part of the last one”? What kind of concerns have people raised? May be I missed those. Just curios to know.