Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congratulations!!!

Thank you.
Very interesting. Only 917 applicants. Seems far less than the 3000+ applicants they used to receive and and of which they would send only 800 to Jefferson.

@NoviceDad, @Vicky2019

Perhaps reality sank in :-). Instead of everyone having >= 32 ACT and 1470 SAT applying as in the past, and then realizing how worthless the efforts and hopes were, now probably only the most competitive ones are applying.

@mom2boys1999 , I read earlier that you’re a high school counselor. My daughter distributed her colleges among both CommonApp and CoalitionApp. Our school does everything through Naviance. For some reason, the school report is not getting updated in the college portal for both Vanderbilt and UNC. Looks like the counselor has a confirmation that she uploaded the information. When my daughter called the colleges, Vandy asked her to wait for one more day and if it still doesn’t show up, she provided an email and advised the counselor to email so she can add it to my daughter’s file. But the counselor said she cannot access that electronic copy of that after she submits it. She thinks it should be ok as long as the counselor submitted and it may take a while. Any advise on this?

@mygrad2021

We had the same issue with Vandy. Our Adcom recommended it just be emailed directly to her. I find it odd that the counselor doesn’t have access to an electronic copy of a school report. Ours is a shared document all of us in the counseling department have, it isn’t student specific. That’s strange. Even Naviance lets you make PDFs of stuff and access the student files.

I think maybe calling the app customer service and seeing what is keeping the report file from being sent is a suggestion in absence of the easier solution aforementioned.

In situations at our school, kids routinely escalate stuff to our assistant principals. I call it solution shopping and sometimes it is midlife annoying as a professional but no harm and your kid needs that for the application! Personally I would email the counselor back and just say that you don’t know what to do, your kid is stuck and needs this- any help would be greatly appreciated!

@mom2boys1999 , Thanks for your email! My daughter doesn’t like that if I do that. I agree with you, I know her counselor is good in general and responds quickly so I am trying to be polite.

@mygrad2021

Your daughter’s preference is understandable. My kids don’t get much separation in preference- technically I am their counselor per alpha assignment. One of my coworkers handles their college stuff for me.

A request for advice and assistance isn’t unreasonable and a good counselor knows that. I hustle for my students- they are the kids I didn’t birth but got anyways

@mom2boys1999 , Thanks for your help! Finally received an email from the counselor and she did some research and found a way to download the school report and now she is happy to email the admission officers. Most of the counselors don’t know about coalition as they never have to work with that. Most of the kids apply maximum 10-15 colleges and use CommonApp. Anyways, little relaxed.

For Pitt’s GAP, should we submit SAT subject test scores as part of evaluation?

Our D just received scores back from CB (tests taken on 10/03), and wonder should we send them to Pitt? Pitt’s GAP deadline is 11/01 so not sure if they would even consider since it’s going to be a week or more before they receive them.

She already got acceptance to UG school already.

Thanks

Send it to them.
Worth taking that risk.
Best case - if they consider it, then your D will not have to give MCAT.
Worst case - you are where you are now i.e. nothing to lose except a few dollars to send the score.

@ttb1263 , why did you receive so late? Even my daughter took the test on 10/3 but we received an email that scores were available on 10/16 itself so we sent the scores that weekend. It took 1 1/2 weeks for them to send. I would strongly advice you to send the scores using “Rush Score” option. It’s another $15 more for each college.

Thanks @NoviceDad . :+1:

@mygrad2021

We have no idea but “blaming” CB for the delay ;).

We already sent SAT and ACT scores to all schools she applied and the SAT subject tests we received scores yesterday are just for Pitt BS/MD and perhaps Ivy schools if she decides to apply RD later.

Thanks

Intent of this post is not to be a party spoiler. Enjoy every small step and accomplishments but don’t connect the dots until mid-April 2021.

But getting admission and/or award/aid for UG has no connection to BS/MD program decision. Some of the middle tier UG colleges have rolling admissions and it comes very fast and early in the cycle.

Deadline for Penn state/SKMC BS/MD application is Nov 1st . We are submitting it today. Any ideas what is the deadline for submitting SKMC supplemental application.

I have a quick question. When the student applies to EAP at LECOM as a high school senior, does he/she applies directly to LECOM and, if accepted, then chooses the college from the list? Or do you have to apply through undergraduate institution?
It is not 100% clear to me when I read the information on LECOM’s web-site

Thanks in advance.
Congrats to those who received acceptances!!!

@highschoolinnj, I don’t think there is any separate supplemental application for SKMC. The application you submit from common app to PennState is the complete application and deadline to submit all of it in Nov 1.

I think it will be better if you can wait for @NoviceDad 's take on this, but in the interim if you have to take any quick decision : Generally for all med schools you need to go through one of the feeder schools where you will be interested in pursuing pre medical studies. And there are certain minimum criteria need to be fulfilled during the studies there. So l think you need to finalize on a feeder(s) and fill in the application through that channel first.

Most of the programs allow you applying through multiple feeders (except AMC) and if selected you may have the flexibility of choosing to go with any of them (that you had applied through).

@2018Summer2018 - I agree with @rk2017 response.

Some info-

Students applying as a high school senior need to apply to the Undergrad institute separately for UG admission. See list of UG colleges - https://lecom.edu/content/uploads/2020/07/active-affiliates-10-23-20.pdf

Application to the LECOM EAP is separate from the application to the UG is via the link “Affiliated Undergraduate College Inquiry” found on the myLECOM Portal. (https://portal.lecom.edu/ics)

LECOM will review the application. If the student meets the requirements, LECOM will offer the student a list of EAP interview dates to self-schedule an interview.

Following a successful interview, LECOM will notify the student that they qualify for a provisional letter of acceptance from LECOM and they will be enrolled for participation in the EAP upon approval by the affiliated institution of their choice and submission of their school email address to LECOM.

The student and the affiliated school will then be sent the provisional letter of acceptance.

There is no supplemental for PennState PMM. You need to choose “Accelerated Premedical-Medical” for the major. You will have to do 4 essays for SKMC.