Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

शुभं करोति कल्याणमारोग्यं धनसंपदा ।
शत्रुबुद्धिविनाशाय दीपज्योतिर्नमोऽस्तुते ॥
Salutations to the Light of the Lamp, Which Brings Auspiciousness, Health, and Prosperity, Which Destroys Inimical Feelings; Salutations to the Light of the Lamp.
Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Diwali and a fabulous new year ahead!

Happy Diwali & Best wishes for New Year to everyone.

Should we be nervous if we have not gotten interview call?

IMO, NJIT/NJMS BSMD is very stats heavy in determining whom to call for an interview. A SAT >= 1550 or ACT 35 and a near perfect UW GPA is a reasonable benchmark to secure an interview invitation, IMO.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 If NJIT forwards the application to NJMS, but is rejected pre-interview, is the resume completely out from NJMS or would they consider it from any of the other feeder colleges. Reason for asking is - not all colleges ask for supplemental questions. so wanted to check on what case, NJMS would reject pre-interview.

No - you should not get nervous nor pass it on to your child.
NJIT most likely will have another round of interviews.

Also, remember, BS/MD process is a roller-coaster ride and you will NOT receive invites from every program you apply.
Getting nervous so early in the process will only increase anxiety. You need to stay calm.

@TensedMom

I think it will be out of picture completely. As an example let us say you apply through 4 feeders. 2 of them decide to endorse your candidacy and forward it to NJMS for consideration. At this point NJMS doesn’t care through how many channels your application got forwarded, or the order in which they have been forwarded, it is irrelevant for them. They consider your application uniquely again by themselves and decide whether to call you for interview or not and will contact you directly (though they may also notify the feeders as a courtesy). If called for interview and eventually selected you are free to opt for either of the feeders that forwarded the application. If not called for interview then there is no chance they will consider you through the other feeder which may have forwarded a little later, since they would have marked the earlier evaluation of candidacy as completed already.

The reason different feeders may be having different supplements may be for their own decision making in evaluating your background and gauging the likelihood of eventual selection from NJMS. If they like your’s they will send the whole package with the supplements and all that to NJMS, in support of your case, but it is completely up to NJMS what they will or will not consider in their re evaluation.

As pointed earlier by someone, NJMS is tilted towards high standardized scores and near perfect gpas.

Thank you @TensedMom and @mygrad2021 - My S got a 35 in ACT so we have hope now.

He got a 1570 in SAT but we did not submit SAT as he got a low score on subject test and he was not sure if College board would really hide the subject test score or not . We submitted only ACT scores to colleges that we applied for so far.

Happy Diwali everyone.

agree

Oh, daughter got ACT 34 which could be the reason. Will see about another round of interviews.

Thank you @rk2017 for the info. Makes sense.

@highschoolinnj my D got very bad SAT Subject scores, and we did not even bother to submit them. Since you can select the scores, we only selected SAT scores and not subject tests.

Not sure I am following the rationale here. But sat subject tests are different from sat. Not all programs need subject tests, especially in the given circumstances. I think going forward you should also submit or self declare the SAT score on the applications since 1570 is very good. May help in programs which may sometimes have (hidden) preference for SAT.

He entered his SAT score and ACT score on the college applications . But when sending official test scores he ordered only ACT scores to be sent.
If we choose to send only SAT official test score (he only took it once) through collegeboard- can we be rest assured that they wont send Subject test scores too.

Thank you so much for all the info provided in this group.

@highschoolinnj , when sending SAT scores from college board, you can pick and choose which scores you want to send to colleges. If you feel that SAT Subject scores are low then you can unselect them when sending scores. The price of sending scores depends on how many colleges you are sending and not on how many scores you are sending.

I noticed that sending AP scores to colleges is different though. It send them all, you can not pick and choose like you could with SAT scores.

There is a screening done at NJIT after interviews. NJIT may decide not to forward your application to NJMS after an interview.

However, another feeder school say TCNJ may interview you and decide to forward your application to NJMS.

There is a screening done at NJMS level before interview invitations. No medical school admit you without an interview. There is only ONE interview at NJMS.

After NJMS interviews, those selected will be notified by NJMS at the start of April (via feeder school). One may have an option to select amongst the feeder schools to join for UG if one has been forwarded to NJMS by multiple feeder schools.

For Brooklyn Downstate, do you have to apply to the Honors program. If anyone whose been thru it, can you please explain the process on how to apply to BA/MD program at Brooklyn College.

TCNJ has a eight question supplemental application while NJIT had none. So, how does NJMS decide whom to call?
NJMS reviews all applications it receives from the feeder schools.
It undergoes NJMS’s review process. One factor it considers is the review note from the feeder school.
Not all applicants are invited for interview. There is only one interview with NJMS.

@NoviceDad Thank you . That was what I was thinking - how NJMS figures out. As you mentioned, we did so many supplementals for TCNJ and none for NJIT. this answers my question.