Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@TensedMom
Please get a subscription for MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) at AAMC to familiarize yourself.
No one knows for sure how does Ad comm evaluates medical school candidates unless one has been a member of Ad comm. Every one here has an opinion. It has nothing to do with number of supplemental questions or questions on Common App. These requirements are more or less same regardless whether regular MD or BSMD applicants. What is your motivation for pursuing medicine ? Do you know what is involved in being a physician ? Do you have adequate preparation for the rigor of medical school course work ?, etc.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/faq/buying-and-using-medical-school-admission-requirem/

@NoviceDad Not necessarily. I was admitted to Stonybrook’s Honors College but only received an out of state tuition waiver. However, I applied very close to the deadline (~mid-January) so that may have been why.

Thank you @grtd2010 and for the link for MSAR.

For anyone interviewing with a BS/MD program, Princeton’s Health Professions Advising department has an extremely helpful website with interview reports (questions asked, interview day structure.) These are for the traditional route’s interviews, so the BS/MD interviews can be different (for example, Tulane BS/MD didn’t really have a structured interview other than asking why medicine and clarifying questions about activities, life experiences etc. and it was only one interview for 30 minutes.)

Link to interview reports (log-in as an “alumnus”:slight_smile: https://odoc201w.princeton.edu/hpa/

Log-in information: https://hpa.princeton.edu/sites/hpa/files/2020hpa-interviewing.pdf (in a box on the 2nd page, just copy and paste it.)

Technically it’s only meant for Princeton applicants but it’s also accessible for anyone to see on Google so… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.
Good data point to have.

How is your college experience so far?

@NoviceDad It’s going well! Looking forward to being on-campus in the Spring, fingers crossed!

Is that a real possibility in Spring 2021 with the current trajectory ( 184000 new positive cases in a day recently) ? Fall 2021 may be feasible with possible vaccinations in early next year.

It is doable as long as how students and univ cooperates. Here is impressive job done by UIUC and its students https://splunk-public.machinedata.illinois.edu/en-US/app/uofi_shield_public_APP/home this semester.
If link doesn’t work it can be navigate from https://covid19.illinois.edu/on-campus-covid-19-testing-data-dashboard/ to view dashboard.
Next semester winter break is extended by a week and spring break canceled.

My advice is not to read too much into such websites and over stress. Though they may provide some guidance on what kind of questions to expect at a high level, the dynamics of traditional route are way different from BS/MD. The applicant pool is a lot more varied, older, experienced and matured. The number of factors that come into play in that path are lot more. I don’t expect these programs have similar expectations from teenage high school students. So be careful to not over think, over kill and over engineer yourself and present yourself as who you are, both in the essays and interviews.

(I haven’t gone through the website myself and don’t intend to, but a word of caution).

Hello! Sorry if this is a dumb question but for the NJIT interview, the times are in EST right? So if I scheduled my interview at 9 am, I would have to enter the call at 6 am PST?

@aspiringbsmd2021, it does not explicitly mention the timezone but it is highly unlikely that it is anything other than EST. To be sure, call them and confirm - “if you have any questions, please call the Honors College office at 973-642-4448 or via email at honors@njit.edu

Are you saying BS/MD applicants are less varied, less older, less experienced and less matured? How that should affect the interview process? Do BS/MD students expected not to meet core competencies recommended by AMCAS?

At the end of the day all medical students in a cohort (irrespective of the dynamics and route) are meeting medical school mission. So to state that “I don’t expect these programs have similar expectations from teenage high school students” is a complete fallacy.
How one can opinion about something that one hasn’t even read?

I would rely more on my HPA office or an adcom input than a stranger.

Videos for Temple and Brown should be done this Friday- no rest for the wicked, even if your house was flooded! (ha!) This was probably his least favorite part of the admissions process.

Deadline for Temple video is Dec 11th right ?

@mom2boys1999 Brown’s website has the below. Am I missing something?
Once logged in to your Brown Applicant Portal you will be given the option to submit a 2-minute personal video portfolio. When submitting a video portfolio, the Early Decision deadline is November 6 and the Regular Decision deadline is January 8.

Apparently, Rochester removes the REMS option at 12 EST…rip. anyone else in the same boat and not able to apply?

Slightly confused. What is the deadline for the temple bs md program ? I was under the impression that it is December 11th. But saw that undergrad needs to be submitted by november 1st ?

I am confused too about this… did you apply ED to Brown, because Regular Decision deadline is Jan 1.

All

Temple Deadline is Dec 11
Brown - RD deadline is Jan 1

I think @mom2boys1999 is well ahead in her son’s submissions and has set internal deadlines for him.

The way we understood is Deadline for Temple university first application is NOV 1 and the deadline to submit essays with video is Dec 11th