Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Penn State/ Jefferson

Congratulations to those who received positive news.

Some thoughts:

• Last year, PennState announced around Dec 14/15. And the communication was clear - you either received positive news or were told that your BS/MD journey ended.
  • So, an announcement this time of the year, just two weeks after the deadline, seems too early.
  • This could mean they have changed their process or they received lesser number of applicants or both.
  • The message on application being reviewed for honors college also seems very out of place. Have not encountered that before. I would suggest that please reach out to admissions officials at PennState to understand what this implies.

All who are receiving rejection emails or will receive one in the future:

Please do not read too much into these rejections. There is no specific reason that causes rejection - it may boil down to you being on the wrong side of a college’s yield management.

Thinking my GPA or SAT was not perfect or I had no research or I had less shadow hours or I am ORM or something else may NOT be the reason for rejection.

Also, note out of 10-12 or 15 colleges you apply, you are bound to get rejections for some places.

It is very likely you may be rejected from a “lower” grade college and called for interviews by a “higher” grade college

That is not for BS/MD.
Baylor2Baylor does not require CASPer.

Only Hofstra requires it for BS/MD this year.

So, now SKMC selects whom to invite for an interview in near future. All those who are finalist for review by SKMC have been selected. Is this correct ?
If your application is not forwarded to SKMC, you go to Honors College route ? Is this correct ?
Do not find any clues in random CC postings.
Please call PSU to clarify these issues to have a peace of mind.

You can be admitted to PSU PMM UG major without PSU/SKMC selection. You do not need to apply to Honors college either.

Wait what does that mean? Isn’t the PMM major only doable if you get selected for SKMC as well?

Call PSU to get an answer and have a peace of mind.

Thank you
Hi, GPA 4.5/4.5 unweighted, weighted 5.5/5.5 and SAT 1580.

Thank you!

Anyone know if PSU still giving out interviews for SKMC? My application is still “under review” when looking at the portal, so I’m not sure if that means they haven’t gotten to mine yet or if I’ve been rejected.

Hi I applied end of October also and says same on portal as @InspireTruth

@aspiringbsmd2021 - Sharing our experience -

Getting an interview means,

I totally agree with @NoviceDad assessment. This aligns with our experience last year.

@rmsm99 - In their website in the FAQs section, it clearly says that students can apply simultaneously apply to the Schreyer Honors College but if offered admission to PMM and the Schreyer Honors College only one offer can be accepted.

https://science.psu.edu/interdisciplinary-programs/premed-med-bsmd/frequently-asked-questions

All BSMD aspirants - consider applying to scholarships below.

Penn State University Schreyer college offers merit scholarship to incoming students. For those who want to consider this as an option, please apply!

PSU Scholarships (no separate application is needed for some of these)
Academic Excellence Scholarship (AES) , NMF scholarship & Provost Scholarships.

Other STEM scholarships-
https://science.psu.edu/future-students/undergraduates/scholarships

Most scholarships are given for Schreyers Honors students to attract highly qualified students. (usually PMM students do not receive scholarships)

On my portal, it says that all finalists will be automatically admitted to the Eberly College of Science if not accepted to SKMC via the PMM program.