Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@GoldenRock

100% agree- I have difficulty understanding and more important convincing D about merit or irrelevancy of BSMD vs. IVY. Adding any other topic is another nightmare.

Politics/Religion and even food choices are personal and people go overboard. We desi are great fun in 20s but in 40-60 go crazy with one viewpoint.

Lets learn from others and not criticize anything we have no clue about ( although we think are experts).

I am humbled by extraordinary talent here and learnt about MD process in few months - Lets use it collectively to benefit kids who are under tremendous pressure- We can not give them straight answer- how can you expect of them to select colleges that are so confusing( perhaps more to me than her!)

My Education and work has been piece of cake compared to what these 17 yr old go through. I am deeply humbled by experience. Thanks folks.

And sorry if I hurt someone inadvertently- At times, I put a joke to make it more fun like 20s!!!

1 Like

You are :100: right and Last time we were debating BSMD vs traditional path I created a separate thread for that and three years back I created BSMD experience thread. However so called BSMD advocate keeps giving failure stories and even claimed the thread I started fizzed out! I understand new parents will have same questions and topic comes back and seniors should point to those fizzled out threads rather than stating the debate again.

This thread is became a parents debating who is smarter than others not kids.

Anyway, as I was saying time for some seniors to retire

1 Like

You are right. I checked various websites on google and seemed to have confused on the numbers in each.

There are two numbers mentioned - NYU Grossman with 2.5 % and NYU LISOM with 1.3%.

I just wanted to convey that there is no guarantee regarding admissions to NYU due to the competition.

1 Like

Kidding aside, no one can predict outcomes like UG. Each school has their own criteria and there is big regional bias given that schools are cognizant of regional needs for doctors. My kid didn’t get NYU interview despite near perfect stats but he got other top tier schools.

2 Likes

For 2020 admission cycle, about 40 students were matriculated with 3.96 GPA and MCAT of 522. 18% of students were URM.
There are two campuses for NYU.
The above profile is from the main campus in NYC, not NYU LI in Mineola.
I guess you can say it is extremely competitive.

That’s correct. In my opinion even this IVY versus BSMD should have been a separate thread. More than 90% of the part2 are related to BME/Engg., IITs/PhDs not many from this forum are interested in. Though it provides lot of information but could have been a separate thread, IMO.

Thank you @Vicky2019 , this helped us validate our thinking. BU seems like our best option, factoring in ranking, opportunity to spend time in CA (if DD wishes to), cohort and convenience. If SKMC was lower cost or Brown was 7 years/better ranked, we would consider them comparable but we are sticking with BU for now.

2 Likes

@Mom22DDs - Excellent choice. Congratulations once again to your D and the proud family. Wish her the very best for her SMED journey!

2 Likes

@Vicky2019 NYU Long Island (LISOM) takes only primary care applicants and they have to express their choice of one of the primary care field. NYU medical school main branch is in NYC. Anyway, the acceptance rate is very low since every one wants to apply for a chance to have almost a free MD degree.

1 Like

@love4bsmd

Sorry about BME - Perhaps I was the culprit as I entered part 2 once D started getting offers that confused us further. She has chosen BME whenever possible or ChE.

Coming back to BSMD

@Vicky2019 mentioned that SBU perhaps is best over Upstate - UAlbany ( or other feeders) or Brooklyn or Sophie Davis in NY. Is that definate or there are multiple views? How is Upstate? How about Brooklyn Downstate or SD City college. For NY residents, cost wise even without aid, UG should be very cheap. So cost is not a factor here. Are there pluses and minuses here.

Drive wise both Syracuse and SBU are 2-2.5 hr and Downstate 1-1.5 hr.

You mean Upstate Medical University not “upstream”. Ask @love4bsmd’s DC has committed to Upstate BSMD this cycle.

Ya - Need to correct. Being ChE in Oil and semi got confused with upstream and downstream and upstate and downstate- You know my age now!!!

@grtd2010 - Corected as it let me do.

Okey just as expensive as our current situation, yes.

Does anyone know if RPI/AMC lets you apply out? Or is it binding

Any plan to relocate to east coast since both DD will be in east coast.

IMO, you give up your AMC seat if you apply out.

How about at SBU? Upstate?

Try saying that to a bunch of ORM parents :wink:

1 Like

Upstream and downstream reminds me my days in natural gas trading and delivery software development!

1 Like

SBU is ranked #55 ( mid tier) vs Upstate ranked #88. SBU over Upstate. So SBU UG free ride is preferred as @Vicky2019 pointed out.

2 Likes